Author Topic: Press released pics today of the new 2012 Chief  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Press released pics today of the new 2012 Chief
« on: August 21, 2011, 02:39:50 pm »
I found this today on Motorcycledaily.com A pretty good article that answers several of the questions everyone is asking. Like myself wondering if they were just going to re badge some victory's.

[source: Motorcycedaily.com]
Few of motorcycling?s brands are more iconic than 110-year-old Indian motorcycles. And fewer have had a history as rocky?or a more perilous present. Since the original factory was shuttered in 1953, various characters and companies have tried to bring the brand back, with varying success. The latest iteration, re-re-re-revived by Stephen Julius and Steve Heese (who also resurrected Chris-Craft) successfully opened dealerships and started producing a small number of heavily revised Chiefs in a new facility in North Carolina.
Yet another chapter opened on April 19th, 2011, when Polaris ? the gigantic parent of Victory Motorcycles ? purchased Indian. But what will that mean? I had some (but not all) of the questions I asked in April answered by Victory (and Indian) Motorcycles General Manager Steve Menneto.

First, you?ll want to know how much Polaris paid Novator Partners for the brand. No luck there ? even though I asked Menneto during a late-afternoon drinking session, he absorbs his whiskey better than small moto-journalists and wouldn?t divulge. Seems that Polaris, though publicly traded, doesn?t reveal such data. But Polaris won?t combine the two names and dump the Victory badge. Each brand will have separate marketing, design and sales staff, even though the bikes will all be built in the same facility in Spirit Lake, Iowa (when I asked why not use the newly-constructed plant in North Carolina, Menneto told me the Indian factory wasn?t really much of a factory, just a large warehouse that had been hastily converted from its prior use). Polaris ?won?t slap Indian bodywork onto Victory mechanicals.? What that means is the full force of Polaris (a $2.5 billion-dollar company) will work to improve Indian?s dealer network, parts supply and design, with a two-phase plan to get Indian up to speed. First, existing product will be improved. ?We?re an engineering company,? Menneto told us at the briefing, ?we love to improve product.? And then (likely in the next 2-4 years), a new generation of Indian motorcycles will arrive. A new world-wide dealer network will focus on the major metropolitan areas, component procurement will be streamlined, and manufacturing will become more efficient.

A likely outcome of all this will be lower prices. I?d expect a line of Scouts priced in the mid to high teens, and a more luxury-oriented Chief (with a huge variety of custom options available) priced around the low to mid-20s. And, hope against hope, maybe some kind of sport-oriented model? After all, Indian was the biggest name in racing in the early 20th century and Polaris knows it. But even if that doesn?t happen, this is the first time since the ?50s that Indian has had a secure future

[article #2]
 I spoke with Gabe this afternoon, and he just returned from the 2012 Victory motorcycle launch in Park City, Utah.  He will be reporting on his riding impressions and changes to the line-up early next week, but he informed me of a conversation with the manager of both Victory and Indian Motorcycles (both owned by parent company Polaris) regarding the future plans for Indian Motorcycles, which was recently acquired by Polaris.
 Gabe was advised that Polaris intends to position Indian Motorcycles as a premium brand above Victory Motorcycles. Polaris will begin by improving the existing  Indian machines (one of which is pictured), followed by the introduction of newly developed premium Indian motorcycles.  Manufacturing of the Indian bikes will be transferred to the Spirit Lake facility where Victory motorcycles are currently assembled.

one of their bike in testing

A couple pics of the previous owners line up in 09

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:06:28 pm by Curtie223 »

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Smokinjoe

• True Member
  • Ride It Like You Stole It
Re: More information on The New Indian Brand
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 07:33:46 pm »
Thanks for posting  :21  I re-posted it on another forum and it's getting mixed thoughts over there.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 04:42:23 pm »
I wonder why that is. I personally am kind of excited about the Brand remake. I feel that the last couple of brand owners didn't do much with it. Polaris has the backing and dealer support to really get the brand out. although I don't see it being a "premium" brand above the Victory. I think Victory Bikes already have a "premium" brand price point.

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Pics Released Today for the 2012 Indian Cheif
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 01:05:38 pm »
Article by: Motorcycle-usa

The Indian Motorcycle Company posted pictures of the 2012 Indian Chief on its facebook page today, the first Indian to roll off the Spirit Lake, Iowa, production line since Polaris acquired the company back in April. The Polaris ? Indian Bike #1 is shown with proud members of the Spirit Lake production team responsible for its creation. As mentioned in our ?Polaris Comments on Indian Motorcycles Future? article, the 2012 Indian Chief gives no indication of the direction its new owners will take the company. Polaris? influence will not be seen until the 2013 Indian models roll off the production line. The 2012 Chief?s design is a carryover from the engineering and styling teams from Kings Mountain, North Carolina. A quick peek reveals its signature traits ? deeply valanced fenders, a wide tank with a chrome instrument console, a beefy chrome headlight housing and cruising lights, wide-set cruiser bars, leather trimmed saddle and bags, and the Chief cloissone peaking over the front fender. It continues to source a Power Plus 105 V-Twin, a 45-degree, pushrod-operated, air-cooled V-Twin with closed-loop fuel injection. A shiny two-into-one stainless steel exhaust streaks down its right side. The only noticeable difference we noticed is that Polaris did away with the chromed lower fork tubes. No price has yet been given, but the GM of Indian Motorcycles Charlotte mentioned in his newsletter ?pricing structure for new Indians will be the same." Polaris-Indian Motorcycle #1! Here?s what Indian Motorcycles had to say about the first production Indian Motorcycle to roll out of Spirit Lake.  ?Friday, August 5th, 2011, marked a new chapter in the long history of the Indian Motorcycle brand - the first Polaris built Indian rolled off the assembly line in Spirit Lake, Iowa. Polaris is honored and proud to have hit this milestone, and continues to gear up for full production it the Spirit Lake plant.  This significant first bike will be subject to considerable testing and evaluation to ensure it meets all quality standards and Indian consumer expectations, and Polaris Motorcycles production. Production for dealer-available units is still scheduled to begin October 2011. Things are off to a great start, and the Indian Motorcycle teams in Spirit Lake, Iowa, Osceola, WI, Wyoming, MN, and at the Polaris Headquarters in Medina, MN, are working hard to deliver the best Indian motorcycle yet.?

[attachment deleted by admin]

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 03:43:41 pm »
I wonder why that is. I personally am kind of excited about the Brand remake. I feel that the last couple of brand owners didn't do much with it. Polaris has the backing and dealer support to really get the brand out. although I don't see it being a "premium" brand above the Victory. I think Victory Bikes already have a "premium" brand price point.

Curt, I am also excited about the brand remake.

However.... consider this.

The "base price" Indian Motorcycles are still in the high $20,000 range and that's for a stripped down model. Way outside the price range of the average motorcycle buyer. I think the "other" owners thought they could revive the brand, and pit it against Harley Davidsion, in quality and price. Afterall, it ( Indian ) is one of the original American motorcycles. The public wasn't buying that idea.....

Polaris has the right idea. I think they can pull off bringing the brand back, they have the financial backing, engineering staff and sales to do so. The biggest obstacle will be price.... making it affordable, or at least competitive with the other brands. If they can do that, I think they will have a winner on their hands.......  :21
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado