Author Topic: The official tire thread  (Read 12376 times)

Offline gotgixers

• Gixxersaurous rider
  • Legendary Member
  • Old Skool GSXR 7/12
Re: The official tire thread
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 10:07:57 pm »
Im running some 003 shinko ultra soft stealths next... Found 'em for $178.00 a set....Im running 005 advance right now, and work great...

Okay, I retract my previous statement. They work good until you really start pushing them. They dont seem to hold well out on the last 1/2" of rubber... I about lost the front end twice last time out...
I think i will be digging up some pilot powers or the like here soon...
I PITY THE FOOL, THAT DONT RIDE OLDSCHOOL

Offline sti_guy

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 09:27:28 am »
i love the power race tire i have ran 2 sets of them so far but my next purchase here next week since i got my $50 off from bargy im going with the power one commercial for 306 a set shipped i cant go wrong
down on one

drop

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 06:53:00 pm »
power race is like a 3 year old tire they dont make anymore.. power ones and ftw

Offline SilverZZR

• www.tnmountaintours.com
  • True Member
  • Suzuki FTW!!!
    • Brothers Cabin Staining
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 09:07:32 pm »
I have ran 3 sets of Pilot Powers and never had a single problem out of them. Just recently bought a set of Dunlop Q2's because they were a good price and I hear good things out of them. Last time I ran a Dunlop I crashed but in their defense it was a D208 and I was moving a tad bit fast  aa
Dustin
2013 GSX-R1000
ETB Founder

www.tnmountaintours.com

Offline gotgixers

• Gixxersaurous rider
  • Legendary Member
  • Old Skool GSXR 7/12
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2011, 10:35:46 pm »
alright, finally got my shinko's off.
Went up to 223Cycles Saturday and got a set of PP's from Curt, and they are working great so far on my heavy azz, stretched, antique gixersaurus. Now we will see how many miles they will last...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 10:37:20 pm by gotgixers »
I PITY THE FOOL, THAT DONT RIDE OLDSCHOOL

Offline SilverZZR

• www.tnmountaintours.com
  • True Member
  • Suzuki FTW!!!
    • Brothers Cabin Staining
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2011, 09:38:47 am »
The PP's last a good long while and stick well.

Update on my Dunlops ... They are fantastic. Best feeling tire I have ever had IMO.
Dustin
2013 GSX-R1000
ETB Founder

www.tnmountaintours.com

drop

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2011, 01:55:42 pm »
DUNLOP SPORTMAX GPAs AND FTW.......

OR THE POWER ONES.......

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2011, 03:39:06 pm »
I had yet another customer today come by with Q2's that weren't that old. And yet another set that is cracking on the front tire in the tread.........Surely I am not the only person noticing that this is happening to all these tires?? I know I see alot of bikes (way more than the average person) but man, I haven't heard anyone else talking about this?

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

drop

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2011, 03:59:57 pm »
go faster... sling the dry rot cracks out............ lol

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2011, 04:03:06 pm »
lmao

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Liltroy

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2011, 04:48:45 pm »
I'm runnin the shinko raven 009s as well. bought them cause I thought I was gonna be doin alot of hwy miles and heard they last forever. I've got over 3000 on em now and they still look brand new! They dont drop in as fast as the pilot powers I had on before, but at 3000 miles the pps were showin thread and these guys are just gettin started. up at the gap this weekend with wifey on the back they did just fine as well so for the money and the milage I'm pretty happy. wouldnt wanna do a track day on em or anything though but thats not what they were made for anyway. :21

Offline 68gts

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2011, 07:08:45 am »
I liked the Pilot Powers a great deal,but my current Q2's are the best tire I have ever ridden in the corners. They are not a high milage tire and the grip is worth the shorter life.
Hobbies (Beating You)

Offline Thibby9

• Put your head down and ride your race.
    • RollHard Racing
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2011, 11:35:44 am »
the bridgestone R10's are sick....if your into track days or racing i would definitely give them a try. Plus they wont drain your bank goin only 380 a set and id recommend the hard rear!!

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2011, 05:03:54 pm »
im liking the pirelli dragon supercorsa pro sc2 on my 600. not the best wear, but grip is crazy, even in the wet as i found out not too long ago.
81 gl1100....

drop

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2011, 08:48:53 pm »
i know up there i been saying power ones, but anytype of track experience, power ones or the mich will NOT work to be fast.. you can go semi fasto n them but thats it

NTEC are the first choice hands down.. they are seconds faster than ANY other tire out there

2nd choice are the brig r-10 tire.. ALOT of super fast guys are on them and love them.. i know thibby raced on them and they did great for him.. i wil be trying a set of them before this race season is out

Offline 68gts

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2011, 05:54:46 am »
Drop don't start the season end stuff yet. Let's make it last as long as possible.
Hobbies (Beating You)

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2011, 10:41:05 am »
As far as a mileage tire I am really liking the perelli angle st. Not my first choice on the SV but they were brand new and came with the bike. I have done a couple hill trips with them. They heated up great running about 28/30 lbs pressure and stuck fairly well for what they are. Keep in mind these are not knee dragging tires but seamed to do okay when in that situation. Although at full lean the rear will tend to drift a bit. But as light as the SV is you can just ride it out like a SM as long as you entry allowed it. (Meaning you have enough room to drift to the outside of the corner.) 

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

Offline Fubar

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2011, 06:58:06 pm »
On the Daytona... Dunlop Q2's are nice. The Speed Triple I like the Pilot Powers or the Q2's on the FJR, Dunlop Roadsmart rear with either the pilot power front or the Angel.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2011, 07:02:04 pm »
I too have found that the Pilot Powers have worked the best on my heavier bikes

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

Offline moonshiner

• True Member
  • 76 goldwing , 82 750 spectre,83 nighthawk
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2011, 12:06:25 am »
any one have any experience with metzeler feel free sport tires ? i got a great deal on a set  60$ for the rear 50$ for the front and i put them on my silver wing scooter , it may be that the diablos that were on it were in bad shape , but the ride and handling improved 5 fold ...
i miss the good ole days , back when i was the only lunatic on the road ..

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2011, 07:48:48 pm »
:27 wow what a deal. where did you get them at?

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2011, 07:56:13 pm »
I always love new tires, Let us know after you get a few miles on them..
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline 68gts

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2011, 02:19:42 pm »
I loved the Q2's for 2000 miles.I just ordered a set of Metzler M5's for the fall riding season. I hope they don't dissapoint. Wanted to get Power Pures,but they don't get good reviews on heavy bikes.
Hobbies (Beating You)

Offline Wamphyri*DFR*

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2011, 02:58:56 pm »
I've got 2cts on the R6 now. They"re fine for any street riding I should be doing. Saying that. I liked the old Pilot Race Soft Compounds for fall/winter/spring riding. Going to try the Power Ones for Jim's track day. I'd like to try the 003s, SuperCorsas, and NTECS but I'll stick with what I know and have confidence for now.

Read this article and even though it's two years old the info is still relevant. Can't really go wrong with with any of the big 4 (what I call them) tire manufacturers.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/4924/Motorcycle-Article/2009-DOT-Race-Motorcycle-Tire-Shootout.aspx
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:00:36 pm by Wamphyri*DFR* »
I Samuel 17:49

Offline moonshiner

• True Member
  • 76 goldwing , 82 750 spectre,83 nighthawk
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2011, 12:34:49 am »
:27 wow what a deal. where did you get them at?
I always love new tires, Let us know after you get a few miles on them..

i bought them at Dennis kirk , they are made in Brazil , sport scooter tires are quite a bit cheaper than sport bike tires , i have 1000 miles on them now , and they are already showing wear as they are soft compound , but that's not a bad thing with cold weather coming on , i have not had any scares with them and they seem to handle real deliberately and i have pushed them to the point of scraping the bodywork on the hair pin turn i have in town under pretty hard acceleration , i would buy another set for my scoot , i can't say how they would perform on a sport bike ? 
i miss the good ole days , back when i was the only lunatic on the road ..

Offline Liltroy

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2011, 03:30:00 pm »
Im running the shinko ravens on an 06 busa. had pilot powers before that. lasted about 1500miles. Switched to the shinkos due to price and knew Id be doing alot of highway riding more than curves. I've got 4000+ on them now and even survived a few trips to the dragon so I'm pretty impressed for the price but I will say I can definately tell the difference between them and my pilot powers when I hit the twistys...especially if theyre not warmed up yet!! :13

Pattigoin

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2011, 04:45:06 pm »
where is the puking icon lol.

no offense but
shinko==junk that will get you hurt

its not that they are not warm, its just that they are junk

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2011, 06:02:45 pm »
Shinko's work great as a strait line and drag tire. I have seen people just change to shinko and drop almost 5 tenths in the eighth. Thats what Darren Burnett Runs on his 640 Busa.
But I wouldn't trust them on a curvy road if my life depended on it! Thats just my opinion. But I have seen alot of people tuck the fronts trying to go a moderate pace on the hill.

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

Offline Liltroy

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2011, 06:55:57 pm »
Theyve done myself and apparently others on here great for some time now. like I said, they dont stick like my pps did..but they're not suppossed to. they;re a sport touring tire hun. :17 that means they grip ok but not great but they do last a long time which is exactley what a sport touring tire is suppossed to do. would I try to drag a knee on them...nope, would I attempt a 6000 mile cross country trip on them? hell yes...thats what they're made for.  :21 try that on a set of "good" race tires. :27

On another note...has anyone here loaded up a set of those new contiroadattack 2's yet? just read a really good review of them in the new sport rider and they seem to be the best of both worlds as far as sport touring tires go. Thinking about trying them out if I can ever get enough seat time to finish these off.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 07:05:19 pm by Liltroy »

Offline sevensixtwo

• True Member
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2011, 08:44:18 pm »
I'm going to need new tires on the Versys soon. The OEM Dunlops are getting pretty squared off (they are notorious for it) and feeling squirrelly turning in. Looks like the most popular street tire on the Versys forum is the Angel. Any recommendations for where to buy and have mounted?