Author Topic: Silver's rules for the road  (Read 3940 times)

Offline SilverZZR

• www.tnmountaintours.com
  • True Member
  • Suzuki FTW!!!
    • Brothers Cabin Staining
Silver's rules for the road
« on: December 29, 2010, 02:14:26 am »
1. Never ride angry
2. Learn self control (yeah its fun to ride fast but you live longer if you don't)
3. Don't get in over your head, it takes YEARS to learn how to ride well
4. Remember to look around constantly, never look at one spot for more than 2 seconds
5. Check your mirrors often especially at a red light
6. Always always check your tires and your chain before you ride
7. For sport bikes don't use the back break unless it is for stopping in dirt, grass, or gravel
8. Listen to people who have been riding longer, they know more than you do

Anyone care to add to this or dispute any of my rules for the road??
Dustin
2013 GSX-R1000
ETB Founder

www.tnmountaintours.com

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
Re: Silver's rules for the road
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 09:02:19 am »
9. When sitting at a red light or stop sign, ALWAYS keep the bike in 1st gear. If the driver behind you is distracted and doesn't stop, you can pull away quickly. ( goes with rule #5 )

10. Always leave a small gap between you and the car/truck in front of you when sitting at a stop light /sign. Leave yourself a escape route in case the driver behind you can't get stopped in time. ( goes with rule #5 & 9 )

11. If you ride after dark, try to wear something to make you more visable. Reflective stripes on your helmet and/or jacket works well.

12. AGATT = All gear, all the time

13. Ride your own ride. ( Goes well with rule #2 and 3 ) Just because you are riding with faster riders doesn't mean you have to keep up with them. Find out the route they are taking and if you get seperated, they will wait on you. The main thing is for you to be in control of your own bike. Only YOU can do that.
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 05:15:56 pm »
good info guys!
81 gl1100....

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 04:09:52 pm »
14. Always check your lights before you ride. ( goes with rule #6 ) Make sure your headlight works on high and low beam and check your turn signals and brake lights while your at it. It only takes a minute.   :21

15. Make sure your faceshield/windshield is clean.

16. When crossing railroad tracks, cross them at an angle or straight across ( at a right angle ) if at all possible. That way your wheel will not get caught in between the rail and the road surface, causing you to lose control of your bike.

17. When riding in rain or reduced visability, slow down. Put a wider gap betwen you and the other rider or car to give yourself more reaction time.  ( goes with rule#11 ) Also, watch out for the painted stripes on roads, like the centerline stripe and at crosswalks. These painted surfaces become very slick when wet!

18. Stay hydrated! Take time to stop and drink a bottle of water or sports drink. A couple of bottles ( or more ) will fit nicely in a tank bag. ( and to keep them cold longer, freeze one of them. It will keep the other bottle cold, plus it will thaw out and you can drink it later! )
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:05:14 am by MikelJay »
Mike

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 08:12:05 am »
19. If you must travel in rain, wait at least 1/2 hour after it starts raining so road surface will become clear. When it first starts raining, any oil on the roads rises to the surface causing the roads to become slick. By waiting a half hour or so, it gives the rain a chance to wash away any oil that may rise to the top. Also remember, you won't have the same amount of traction on wet roads as you would if they were dry.

Mike

Offline gotgixers

• Gixxersaurous rider
  • Legendary Member
  • Old Skool GSXR 7/12
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 01:13:48 am »
20. Make a concious effort to ride "smoother" on wet roads. ie... smooth acceleration and gear changes, smooth braking, as anything else can and will introduce you to the asphalt quickly.
Quick acceleration and snappy gear changes while fun on dry pavement, will break the rear tire loose on wet pavement rather easily. Just as a little too much front brake will lock the front wheel and wash you out in a hurry...
I PITY THE FOOL, THAT DONT RIDE OLDSCHOOL

Offline bogfro

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 05:38:58 pm »
For those that ride on colder days or in the rain...........hypothermia can sneak up on you.  Be aware to look for the signs, and carry enough clothes with you.  If you start showing symptoms and don't have warmer clothing, stop ASAP and warm up before you make any big mistakes!

Oh, and this is my first post on this board, by the way!  O0

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 11:00:03 pm »
good info, and welcome!!!! we expect you to post more, lol
81 gl1100....

Offline ellis976

• True Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 06:26:30 pm »
all of this is good advice for all to take no matter what you ride ..... the big one i want to stress again ... especially to new riders ... ride your ride , so what if your buddy is faster than you . i ride with alot of guys faster than me and yeah i would like to be up there with them ... but being the slow guy in the back so far i have brought me and my junk home in as many pieces as i left with and in the end that makes me happier than oh i couldnt keep up with so and so .................. another thing is be careful when riding with a faster group , while i think it can make you a better rider it can also get you in trouble because in following them you can easily be drug above your skill/comfort level .and while i think gear is a choice thing if you understand and accept all that can happen without it (heck all that can happen with it) its better to be hot in gear than in the hospital wishing you had skin left

drop

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 08:09:49 pm »
great great advice ellis

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 10:32:44 am »
For those that ride on colder days or in the rain...........hypothermia can sneak up on you.  Be aware to look for the signs, and carry enough clothes with you.  If you start showing symptoms and don't have warmer clothing, stop ASAP and warm up before you make any big mistakes!

Oh, and this is my first post on this board, by the way!  O0

Bogfro!!!!!! welcome to the board. Glad to see you here. That's something alot of people never think about. :21

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Pattigoin

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 03:11:36 pm »
drop here again

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER DID I SAY NEVER NEVER

CHASE A BIKE THAT HAS A NUMBER ON IT WITH ZERO CHICKEN STRIPS, WIRE TIED LIKE A RACE BIKE, THATS BEEN CRASHED, AND ONLY A FOG LIGHT AND A TAIL LIGHT.

JUST ASK BRIAN.. NOT MILLER EITHER... BRIAN CRASH ON THE R6..

NEVER CHASE SOMEONE YOU DONT KNOW.

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 12:26:20 pm »
21, put yourself in a position in traffic to be as visible as possible, dont crowd the car in font of you as it makes it harder for vehicles pulling into traffic to see you hiding back there. and like the stickers on tractors trailers always say, "if you cant see my mirros i cant see you." (i like to ride the inside line with a good 3 or 4 second spacing)

22, dont trust traffic lights or turn signals. always wait for that idiot to either stop or turn.

23, flash you high beams to ensure that vehicles waiting to pull into traffic are aware you are there, its just a quick flick of the thumb, and draws their attention to you. BE SEEN!
What does "riding season" mean?

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: Re: Silver's rules for the road
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 12:58:10 pm »
:21 that's some great adds

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 12:57:37 am »
21, put yourself in a position in traffic to be as visible as possible, dont crowd the car in font of you as it makes it harder for vehicles pulling into traffic to see you hiding back there. and like the stickers on tractors trailers always say, "if you cant see my mirros i cant see you." (i like to ride the inside line with a good 3 or 4 second spacing)

22, dont trust traffic lights or turn signals. always wait for that idiot to either stop or turn.

23, flash you high beams to ensure that vehicles waiting to pull into traffic are aware you are there, its just a quick flick of the thumb, and draws their attention to you. BE SEEN!

i really dont agree with #23.... most people see flashing brights as a sign to go. as in you are giving the go ahead to cross. i have been trying to get in the habit of making myself a big as possible if i see someone that may not be paying attention. as in ill stand on the pegs to make myself taller on the bike. i know thats not the easiest thing to do depending on the type of bike you ride.
81 gl1100....

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 01:48:54 am »
its a thing i picked up from an older rider years ago and just never thought about it. but you make a good point. hasnt happened yet that someone has pulled out though. i just flip them up and back once to draw their eye and have seen folks do a double take and a quickstop because they were on there way out when i did. maybe i should have been more specific? flipping them up and back back once really isnt flashing, more like a flare? i dunno, its served me well for years.

i read once about a safety study that was done for motorcycles about a group testing the current "high visibility safety gear", this was in the mid/late 80's. they wore the bright colors with reflective surfaces and "broken" colors with stripes and such and it had little or no effect. then the same group donned black leather for that "badass biker" look and were given every courtesy on the road. turns out their test was more of a sociological experiment than an actual gear test.  of course the perception of "bikers" has changed a lot over the last 25 or 30 years and motorcycle awareness has become more prevelant in peoples minds. bikers arent so readily percieved as the outlaw types they once were and the varieties of riders has become phenominally eclectic.  motorcycles have gone from being the choice of transport for those who scoff at dictates of society to the practical economical form of transport that they are. what this has to do with the subject at hand? i have no clue. i tend to ramble.... but still i stand by BE SEEN. if that means rising up on the seat to present a larger visual cue or a flip of the light switch, then so be it.
What does "riding season" mean?