Author Topic: Front Sprocket/Chain Noise  (Read 3119 times)

Offline MisterCTW

Front Sprocket/Chain Noise
« on: August 30, 2011, 08:04:42 pm »
How much noise should the front sprocket/chain make? I have apparently been riding with the chain a little too tight. I took a couple videos of the sound. It sounds almost like a 10-speed bike. click*click*click*click*click*click when rotating the wheel while the rear is lifted on a stand.

In Neutral

Running

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
Re: Front Sprocket/Chain Noise
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:15:57 pm »
How about some clear pics or steady video, Looks like you got some sticky links from the slight jump in the chain, the constant moving camera makes it hard to tell..

How old is the chain ? Mileage ?  Lubed regularly ? Cleaned with ?

How old are sprockets, Generally you should replace these with the chain as a set due to wear. Worn sprockets or chain will shorten the life of new ones if combined..

Look on the drive side of the sprockets (both) for angled back teeth.

Have you noticed a red dust on the chain, This is rust and notes you dont have much life left in it. From water getting into the sealed rings.
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline MisterCTW

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:22:13 pm »
How about some clear pics or steady video, Looks like you got some sticky links from the slight jump in the chain, the constant moving camera makes it hard to tell..
I took the video more for the sound than to actually show the movement of the chain. I already buttoned everything back up for the night because it was getting dark. I will keep that in mind next time I take a video.

How old is the chain ? Mileage ?  Lubed regularly ? Cleaned with ?
4,500k Miles, Yes Chain Wax from cycle gear, Cleaned with some carb cleaner and a rag today.

How old are sprockets, Generally you should replace these with the chain as a set due to wear. Worn sprockets or chain will shorten the life of new ones if combined..

Look on the drive side of the sprockets (both) for angled back teeth.

Have you noticed a red dust on the chain, This is rust and notes you dont have much life left in it. From water getting into the sealed rings.
Sprockets have the same mileage as the chain as far as I know. All the teeth look okay Havent noticed any kind of dust on the chain. Just buildup from chain wax.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:30:45 pm by MisterCTW »

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 08:33:13 pm »
Many use WD40 for cleaning, Not sure about the effects of carb cleaner on the orings though. I would asssume if it gets into the rings it may break down the grease inside.

Have you loosened the chain since you noticed it was too tight. Not sure of requirments but I tighten mine only to its just able to touch the swingarm (underside) I think its like 1/2" to 3/4" of movement.

I dont notice any excessive noise in the videos, I plugged my laptop up to the stereo for better audio.  FYI if you have bad links they make a very loud pop and if bad enough you will feel them jerk under power..

At 4500 miles even running it a LITTLE tight there really shouldnt be much problem.

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 08:33:33 pm »
I personally don't like to use carb cleaner because carb cleaner destroys rubber orings. Take a good look at the O-rings. if they are in bad shape this could very well be your issue.

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline MisterCTW

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 08:36:02 pm »
I personally don't like to use carb cleaner because carb cleaner destroys rubber orings. Take a good look at the O-rings. if they are in bad shape this could very well be your issue.

I figured as much. It wasn't my first choice, but all I had at hand this afternoon. I normally use WD-40 which is o-ring safe.

Offline smokepoke

• facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 08:44:23 pm »
well i am not too skilled in bikes yet but i do all my work by my self i just replaced both sprockets and the chain and it has the same sound till i put the cover back on. And i notice with the old chain every time i clean it it make little more noise ( sound) bc it don't have all that extra dirt/grease on it to cushion when it get seated on hte sprocket. Only thing what i can say for sure is to STOP using the carb cleaner it will eat the O rings and it break down the old grease but it dont make it come out of the chain it will turn it to Vaseline. And not sure about the WD40 bc WD40 is fish oil with some Teflon mix in to it i will suggest  kerosene (cheap) or chain cleaner from store  !

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 08:46:00 pm »
FYI and you may have your own clean n grease way but here is mine and I only do it every 1000 or so miles. Yes I neglect my chain.

Clean well with excessive amounts of WD40 and tough shop towel to remove grime. Careful not to get your fingers caught in the gears.

Using another shop towel I use 90wt gear, Slowly drizzled onto the rear sprocket while turning rear wheel, Remove excess with towell n repeat. Let sit over nite to soak into rings etc. then coat with chain wax and remove excess with yet another shop towel.

Yep my rear wheel looks like crap after the first good ride. My last chain lasted me 22,000 miles like this. over 10,000 on the current chain with zero issue or signs of significant wear so far.

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 09:12:14 pm »
Great Thread. :21

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline MisterCTW

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 09:35:08 pm »
Well, I just took it out to ride for a couple miles after adjusting the chain this afternoon. It seemed once the chain got a little warm the noise was not as loud. My triumph seems loud and clunky anyway compared to the jap bikes. So I think my issue was the chain being too tight.

I suppose I need to:
A. Keep the chain clean and not neglect it.
B. Get a better wax. This stuff doesn't seem to work too well.
C. Make sure and check chain tension frequently.

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 10:37:54 pm »
Severe neglect can lead to some serious damage if the chain ever breaks.

I have heard of riders getting seriously mangled when the chain flys off.
Counter shafts n sprockets having to be replaced.

Even broken/cracked engine cases..

Maybe Jeff, Curt and who ever else can also share there personnal ways of maintaining there chains.. It seems most everyone has there own way of cleaning, Lubing, and Adjustment intervals.

Me I only adjust it when and if it is needed, Mostly thru feel of driveline lash or jerkyness when I first crack the throttle open.

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline MisterCTW

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 12:34:22 pm »
Ok guys. So I rode around for about an hour last night and jumped on the bike this morning to ride to work. When I got to work I checked my chain and now the chain seems too loose. When the bike is parked and I am off I can move the chain right under the left footpeg all the way up to the swingarm. If I grab somewhere in the middle of the front and rear sprockets (right in front of the rear tire) I can move the chain about 1 inch and it does not hit the swing arm.

Would this qualify as too loose?

edit: It might also be important to note that the noise has not completely gone away during all the adjusting. It sounds like there is still a small part of the chain rubbing the swingarm. I personally think that because the chain as been ran too tight since I purchased the bike about 3k miles ago. That the chain might have streteched and I am now unable to adjust the chain enough to keep it from rubbing.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:01:35 pm by MisterCTW »

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 01:02:08 pm »
What does the manuel say for YOUR bike.

Also when you sit on it the swingarm will move thus tightening the chain slightly and the angle at which it crosses over the swingarm pivot.

I would say from your post its ok.  maybe you live close to someone here that can actually look at it for a better answer.

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 01:16:42 pm »
Kind of sounds like the chain is about done. Depending on the bike. I tend to neglect my chain. I check the tension when I feel the clunk between shifts or off and on the fuel. I use a degreaser like purple power the get all the old grease off. Or walmart carries a great chain cleaner in their motorcycle section by DuPont that works really well. Then i use a motul chain wax. Not the best for keeping the bike cleaned. lol but works pretty good. Also PJ1 black label is pretty good but it slings so also not good for polished wheels.   

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

Offline ellis976

• True Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 02:22:37 pm »
i hafta say i hate pj1

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 09:26:43 am »
ok, im surprised no one else has made this comment yet.... alignment!! with the chain too tight, now too loose... sounds like possible a lose adjuster and its letting the back wheel move ever so slightly causing the tight/lose chain. also this would account for the popping over the sprocket.

as for a clean/service, most manuals say to clean with kerosene. i personally use the blue can dupont from walmart if there is no degreaser in the shop. never use carb cleaner or brake/parts cleaner. they will destroy o-rings. for lube i use the yellow can dupont or the motul. motul is much heavier than the dupont but the dupont dont sling off, you just have to use it a bit more often. i try to go every 600 miles, but it never works out that way. this last one was about 850, and its on about 5-600 right now.
81 gl1100....