Author Topic: Do It Yourself Clutch Change  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Do It Yourself Clutch Change
« on: September 11, 2011, 05:03:04 pm »
This is a clutch change on a SV650. It will for the most part be the same as to 99 percent of the bikes out there. Please be sure to read your service manual before attempting this repair as some things could be different and for the torque spec for your particular model.

This is easier than most people think it is. Much easier than any automotive clutch replacement. First off it is best to go ahead and get enough oil to change the oil in the bike while you are doing this. plus an extra quart for the clutch.

In my personally opinion it is best just to replace the whole clutch kit (fibers|Steels|springs) Some people like to just get away with just replacing the fibers it they are below spec. But steel warp (which was the reason for my replacement) and springs get weak. So just replace it all generally isn't much more. I picked up this Barnett kit for only $129.99

You will need to soak the fibers and steels in the new oil that you are going to use in the oil change. I used to be always told to let them soak over night. Now they say 10 minutes is all it needs. Which is prob true but I still soaked it over night like I have always done.

Locate the clutch cover on your bike. With this case it was on the right side. generally it will be the cover with the oil spout. Remove the bolts that hold the cover on.

This will expose the clutch assembly.
next you will need to loosen the 6 bolts that holds the plate. Then remove the plate.

Now you are looking and your fibers and steels. Start removing them one by one. Best to put each one on top of the other to keep them in order. This way you can see the pattern to install the new fibers and steels.

You should find that there is one Fiber plate that is slightly different. The first one (last one you took out) should be thicker than the others. make sure you find the matching fiber in the new kit and start replacing all the steels and fibers in the same pattern you took them out.

Remember those bolts that you took out that had springs on them? Remove the old springs and replace then with the new ones that came in your kit.

Now re install the pressure plate and bolts. make sure to look up the torque specs for this in your manual or google search generally will help you with this as well.

Inspect your clutch cover and make sure the gasket or O-ring is in good shape, and mating surface is clean. Re install clutch cover. remember than the bolts that tighten the cover up are going into aluminum. There is torque specs for this, Personally I will snug them up in a cross  pattern then follow them with a quarter turn of the 1/4 drive ratchet.

Drain the oil and change the filter. Add fresh oil and your ready to go riding again. On this particular bike I had it all changed in about 15 minutes. And thats with taking the pic. haha There is no special tools needed other than what you would find in a normal tool kit.

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
Re: Do It Yourself Clutch Change
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:29:26 am »
 :like

Great write up Curt!   :21

You make it look easy...... 
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline Crash

• keep the rubber side down.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 12:45:20 pm »
wish i saw this a month ago ; ;  i just paid to have mine done cuz i had to work and didn't know anything about bikes.  But i am a car mechanic. 
Crash

Offline Sam1

• True Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 08:40:25 am »
one thing you all might want to consider is getting an upgraded spring kit from barnett's.  a lot of aftermarket plates suck compared to oem one's, but swapping the springs for stiffer ones will help out dramatically

once all that engine work was done on the rc51, the clutch was slipping like crazy but the plates were in perfect condition, spring swap fixed it and was only $50 iirc

btw, love that cover
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:42:01 am by Sam1 »

Offline Knoxvillan

• True Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 11:00:16 am »
I soaked my clutch plates over night like you recommended and all it does is slip  :groan

:34
 :pop

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 09:16:22 pm »
I soaked my clutch plates over night like you recommended and all it does is slip  :groan

:34
 :pop

Next time dont buy a diesel..  :34
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Knoxvillan

• True Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 11:38:17 pm »
Next time dont buy a diesel..  :34

Bwahahahahaha

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: Re: Do It Yourself Clutch Change
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 06:25:57 am »
:23 just seen what you put jason. Wonder how many people will get that. Haha

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Knoxvillan

• True Member
Re: Re: Do It Yourself Clutch Change
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 12:21:46 pm »
:23 just seen what you put jason. Wonder how many people will get that. Haha

lmao, I just hope it doesnt mess anyone up