Author Topic: Motorcycle, Parts, Gear Review  (Read 5430 times)

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
Motorcycle, Parts, Gear Review
« on: December 31, 2010, 04:55:43 am »
use this topic to rate/review all the bikes, parts, and gear we spend all our hard earned money on. what you post may help someone to either buy or stay away from parts and gear they have been looking at. test ride or buy yourself a new bike, let us know what you think of it.

after all, the best information source for all things motorcycle related we have is US. 
81 gl1100....

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
Re: Motorcycle, Parts, Gear Review
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 09:58:25 am »
Awesome!  I'm waiting for my Trackskinz leathers to come in, and I'll post a review.   ;D
Quote from: jeff5150
just follow 129 on the map towards nc til it looks like a kid drawing it had a siezure
Quote from: Tomsljr
Know the difference between crack heads and Gap addicts? I have heard of people quitting crack.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy when getting on and off my High Horse!

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 11:20:09 pm »
Butch, if you dont' care when they come in can you put up some pics. I am real curious how well these trackskins come out. Dustin is still waiting on his too.

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 07:34:53 am »
i would be waiting on trackskinz too, if the guy would ever get back in touch with me.
81 gl1100....

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 02:11:15 am »
well i have 3 reviews ill be doing very soon.
1. bridgestone bto16 tires.
2. frank thomas slipstream boots.
3. Midland's XTC100 action sports camera.

the tires are on the bike, the boots will be on my feet tomorrow, and i hope the camera gets here early this week so i can try it while im off!!!

also there should be some really good pics of a few of our bikes coming very soon!
81 gl1100....

Offline oldmanjob

• True Member
  • Guzzi lover
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:35:04 am »
This is my review on the "Bags Connection Race Pack" bought through Twisted Throttle $239.99
I found this bag a great piece of luggage when you do not have hard bags and as I have small throw over bags. was able to pack everything from a CPAPP machine (for those who have sleep apnea) my clothing and supplies needed for our 1700 mile to nowhere. (NC, Virgina, WV, Penn, Maryland, New York and back to NC) Through the whole trip never knew it was on the bike (plus a great back rest) All through the twistie roads of the Blue Ridge PKWY and the likes never bothered the handling. Easy on and off. and a carry strap. Will work fine on Sport Tourers, and cruisers without side bags.

From the Twisted Throttle site
The Speedpack's little brother! This waterproof sport-touring pack system is reinforced with an aluminum frame for stability and strength. Features 42 to 60 liters of storage volume. 2 year warranty! Designed for installation over the passenger seat and portions of the tailsection.

A smaller version of the "Speedpack". Uncompromising when it comes to grip and driving stability.

Total capacity is 60 liters (reducible to 42 liters with compression straps). Accessible through top and side openings. Small pocket on the side of the bag.

Includes:
- one piece luggage system with waterproof inner bag
- 4 fitting straps
- 2 compression belts
- 2 support straps for license plate mounting point installation
- 1 sheet of temporary paint protection film

Add-on Bags-Connection tentbag (sold separately) offers storage for a tent roll of up to 22" long x 8" diameter!

Fits bikes with a tail section width of approximately 8.3 inches or less. Overall width across the rear of the bike is 26.4 inches. Overall length is 12.2 inches. For detailed dimensions, click on the diagram on the right side of the page.

Jessica from RoadBike Magazine tested the Racepack out and did a product review on it that will be in the October 2006 issue. Here's what she had to say: "I just wanted to let you guys know that I loooove the Racepack. I never thought I'd say this about a piece of luggage, but it handles incredibly well. I really didn't know what to expect, but the moment I pulled out of my driveway with the pack on my Z, I was psyched -- I didn't feel it back there at all. And I think it actually made the bike handle a bit better in curves."

Bill

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:50:09 am by oldmanjob »
Rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God, than sitting in church bored thinking about my motorcycle

Offline oldmanjob

• True Member
  • Guzzi lover
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 08:51:36 am »
Race Pack on my bike.

Rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God, than sitting in church bored thinking about my motorcycle

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 09:02:11 am »
I was in need of a new winter weight jacket and had looked at Olympia, First Gear and Scorpion. All of the styles I looked at were pretty much the same, but the prices varied.

I finally settled on the Scorpion Commander jacket, which retails for around $425. I remembered I had made a purchase at New Enough.com some years ago and wondered if they might have it. Sure enough, they did! And at a better price than any place local. They had the same jacket for $215 shipped to my door! 

The jacket is a textile material, with waterproof pockets on the chest and back. Has a pocket in the back for a hydration bladder, vents on the chest, sleeves and back, a removable liner, adjustment straps at the waist and arms, 3M reflective stripes on the arms and back, storm flaps over the zippers, zippered sleeves from the elbow to the wrist with a velcro strap to cinch the cuff and a removable storm collar. Its available in Hi-Vis green ( yellow ), which is what I bought.

Putting on the jacket, you find its quite heavy, although its not overbearing. The liner has a zipper then a flap covering the zipper, blocking and wind or water, then you zip up the jacket and it also has a flap which snaps all the way up to the neck. I removed the storm collar as I thought it would interfere with my helmet. The fit is very comfortable, once you get the straps adjusted. It's very warm with the liner in. I can ride with temperatures in the high 30's with a long sleeve shirt and a sweat shirt on underneath it and still be quite comfortable. Its very well made and should be quite servicable for many years.

Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 07:31:19 pm »
great reviews!!!
81 gl1100....

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 02:24:57 pm »
Here is my review of Trackskinz Leathers: www.trackskinz.com

I ordered a set of TS-17 on Dec 1.  

I had them change the color where the suit is red to Gun Metal.  I ordered full perforation in front and the Ti Armor on the knees, elbows and shoulders.  The total shipped was $539.

I was hoping to get them by the end of December, but they came around Jan 20.  They are made somewhere in the middle east (Pakastan I believe) and there were some issues involving terrorist threats in Europe in Dec.  Alot of things got hung up in Europe the last couple of months....so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, here.

Anyway, they did arrive and were packaged well:

Here's what they look like:

Ti Armor

Sliders and armor

Hump

Perforation

My impressions:
My last set was a $1500 set of Z Custom, and the quality of these are almost as good.  The sticheing is first rate, and in some places it is tripple stitched.  

The thickness of the leather is better than a set of $999 Dianese leathers that were at Cyclegear and the CE armor has more coverage than that suit or any suit I have owned.  There is thigh protection and shin protection which isn't in most suits.  The only issue the shin protection provides is that your boots need to have some calf adjustment to go around the extra armor.  I could zip up my old boots, but it was a bit tight.  This was not a problem cuz I had to replace them anyway.  I ordered a set of Puma 1000's on closeout from STG for $260:

Lots of calf adjustment:

AWESOME boots!

A word of heads up:
The owner of Trackskinz is a bit harried.  I don't believe that  this is his full time gig at this point, so he seems to have about a dozen balls in the air at any given time.  I strongly suggest that you keep a continuous dialog with him.  Call him up and talk to him.  He is knowledgable, but has a lot on his plate so you might need to bug him a bit to be sure he hasn't forgotten you.  In other words...Dustin, be a bit assertive. :17

The product is WELL worth the money!! :21

Oh and this is how you break in a new set of leathers:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 02:57:04 pm by 8Ball »
just follow 129 on the map towards nc til it looks like a kid drawing it had a siezure
Know the difference between crack heads and Gap addicts? I have heard of people quitting crack.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 10:09:42 pm »
 :34 LMAO Butch that was worth the watch. Bwaahahaha
Those leathers looks great!!!

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline usmc82503

• Semper Fi
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 10:10:10 pm »
 :23

Offline RandyRocks77

• Vegas
  • Legendary Member
    • Tennessee Sons of Liberty RC
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 03:50:09 am »
lol Pavement hungry

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 04:58:39 pm »
Since I ordered my leathers in December, Trackskinz was offering a special....A free set of gloves with my suit.  It took a little bit longer, but the gloves came in. 

Here they are:
TG-17 model

Carbon Fiber Knuckle armor:

Kangaroo Leather and Keprotec (Kevlar Strech) panels:

Gauntlet armor and Trackskinz Logo:

Palm:

The Kanga leather feel really supple and the articulated fingers let you move nicely.  The armor is pretty extensive without being intrusive and the leather isn't too thick so the feeling is good.  The Kevlar stretch panels are placed so they should get good airflow.

The only thing I would be concerned bout is the suede palm material.  That is because I had a pair of Joe Rockets that had suede palms and they started fraying after a few months.  So that really has nothing to do with these........we'll see after some use.  :17

All in all I'm pretty happy with them.  Since they were FREE, I'm extatic about them, but if I paid the usual $89, they'd still be way worth it! :21

Offline gr33nninja

• True Member
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 07:16:42 pm »
great looking suit with a nice pair of free gloves....... can't beat that! :21 :21

Offline 68gts

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 08:55:20 am »
I decided to upgrade my summer gear from textile to leather this spring. Looking for value and quality I came across the new Icon Overlord leather jacket. After several conversations with Jason at STG about this jacket i pulled the trigger on a white Overlord. This jacket is cut in what Icon calls an attack fit,which means form fitting A* style. I am 6'1' 215lbs average build,andordered a size xl,and it is a perect fit. This is a fully perfed jacket front and rear as well as some in the sleeve as well. It comes with YKK autp locking zippers through out which is a really nice feature compared to standard zippers. The jacket has a 360 degree zip at the waist to attach to pants. It comes with a quilted vest liner which is not much help below 60 degrees due to the massive amounts of air this jacket vents. It is definately a summer jacket. The jacket has a large amount of precurve in the arms which makes it feel great on a sportbike. It is equiped with ce armor in the shoulders and elbows,and a dual density back protector that is upgradable tb a level 2 Stryker back protector which I opted for. Overall I am thrilled with this jacket,and have 0 complaints.
Hobbies (Beating You)

Offline gr33nninja

• True Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 04:31:49 am »
8ball, i have similar gloves http://www.jackets4bikes.com/p-18-stud-palm-carbon-kevlar-motorcycle-leather-gloves.aspx
but no suede and not sure on what kind of leather. cheap though! and the studded palms have been dragged acrossed my wet face sheild and bike parts without any damage! :13 only issue so far was one thread up on the upper cuff letting go, fixed that with a quick couple stitches. :21 even if they only last a season or two, i think it is worth the money. :21

Offline ratster

• True Member
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 12:36:40 pm »
"Worlds Finest" Ear Plugs.That's what they are claiming anyways,and so far I have to agree.I am by no means an ear plug expert but these things rock.

These aren't your typical expanding foam plugs or stem style plugs,these are more like that wonderfully delicious stuff we all played with as kids.Play-Doh  ;D

Knead it between your fingers to warm it up and stick it in (get yer mind outta the gutter) and form it to your ear.Once sealed all unwanted wind noise etc disappears but it still lets you hear your motor or emergency vehicles sirens.

My only complaint so far would have to be that sometimes putting on your helmet you might break the seal in your ear.No problem,just put your finger on it for a second and it will reseal itself.

I guess I could whine about the shipping costs, but these things work so much better than anything else I have used that to me it was well worth it.

http://earplugsonline.com/

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 10:12:08 am »
bridgestone S-20 hypersports......

ive ran the bt016 and they are great tires, now with the release of these S-20's i had to try them out. got a set ordered for the bastard, 160/120 set and all i have to say is wow!!! these tires are very nice... stick like glue, even in the cold and wet. turn in is very quick, and transition from side to side is super smooth and very fast. these are very confidence inspiring tires. ill definitely run them again.
81 gl1100....

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
Re: 6 Sigma jet kits.
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 09:21:25 pm »
I decided to try 6 Sigma as an alternative to Dynajet for v.3.0 of my 1978 Suzuki GS1000E. The quality of the parts looks to be superb and may even be genuine Mikuni parts. But.... the parts were wrong, needles weren't included (more on this later) and if you didn't know what you were looking at the instructions would probably be useless. The tuning instructions they provide aren't bad though.
On the subject of needles, this is somewhat relative. The stock Mikuni VM carbs have adjustable needles that would in fact most likely be fine 90% of the time but DJ kits include needles with a better profile than the stock Mikuni needles.
In summary,  if you're after a good kit for a vacuum slide Carb (I see needles are included for those) and know what you're doing this kit is very nice. For any other options, stick with DJ.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R