Author Topic: Tire air pressure  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Diannaleigh

• I like MotorBoats !!!!!
  • True Member
  • Head Biker Mama :P
Tire air pressure
« on: October 01, 2011, 05:58:47 pm »
How do you know what to run? My bike feels like the back end doesn't grip down enough in a curve... Really can give you an ass pucker from hell moment at times... I run 33 and 36.... the specified air pressure.... I was talking to someone and telling them how I know some people run lower pressures for improved performance... I was told that was crazy and could cause damage to the tires or worse yet, cause me to wreck... Could have sworn I remember Drop saying he ran at 27 psi??? Could be wrong though... :34 My memory isn't what it used to be... I have the same tire Curt put on my bike, I believe they are the Pilot Power 2cts

Thoughts ? ;D I was also told colder roads make this a bigger problem as well... Thanks in advance for the advice! :)
Four wheels move the body.  Two wheels move the soul.  ~Author Unknown

It takes more love to share the saddle than it does to share the bed.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
Re: Tire air pressure
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 06:18:22 pm »
lower pressure WILL make the tire wear faster.

I run lower pressure when its cold/er like below 45f, I will drop them down to 25-27 psi in both tires.

First look at why people run lower psi, Depending on the tire type it helps warm them up faster, warm tires stick better. Too little psi will over heat them and make them feel slippery/greasy.

Are you having an issue with the front or rear or both. Is it consistent. are you trying to play V. Rossi and drag pegs every where you go.

PP2ct tires arent bad and I have heard of many running similar pressures, Even known some to use them @ trackdays.

You can try dropping the psi 2-3lbs per tire for a day and see how it feels, Be sure to check the heat in the tires at every stop to make sure there not too hot and melting.

Could also be operator error...... :34

If the bike feels sluggish or hard to turn you have way too little psi in the front. Also if the rear feels like it gives a LITTLE squirm going into a corner it may be too low..

Just my observations and opinions.
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Diannaleigh

• True Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 06:23:08 pm »
I know you and I have had this talk ALL the time Sam :34 I know I am  :24 but I cannot wrap my head around what I am doing wrong, if it is operator error... I am not trying to drag pegs everywhere but it is happening.... Never had that problem before... :34 I also used to ride like an 80 yr old.... I am not scared of the bike anymore and the confidence has gone up substantially. ;D I am proud of myself for no longer riding like an idiot... well a slow idiot ;) But I do feel like the rear is 'slipping out' on me when I go into the tighter corners. I use countersteering, enter the curve on the outside and apex towards the inside, allowing a better line of sight. I lean with the bike and really enjoy riding... I don't completely loose it in a curve but I will say this 'slippage' feeling issue I am having is keeping me slower than what I know I can do....

It takes more love to share the saddle than it does to share the bed.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 06:42:12 pm »
Like sam says. Really depends on what you are wanting to do. running a higher PSI will ensure long tire life. but if your going to the hill you want to drop those things down. to give you more grip and to heat the tire up faster. Those tires that were on the SV (Perelli Angle ST) touring tires I dropped those down to like 23 lbs when I went to the hill. lol

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Diannaleigh

• True Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 10:16:35 pm »
Really?!?! 23? lmfaoooooooooooooooooo draggin knee on the SV rawks... just sayin.... I want decent tire life, but I feel like my back end is slipping out right before and during an apex... Thoughts?

:34... that could be taken down so many 'dirt roads' I am being serious though.

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 10:36:01 pm »
on my 750 i was running them a bit high, lol. like 40 f&r for a little while. then dropped them to the 28r 30f range. the z was the same range but only got about 1000 miles out of the tires. the tard was a different story, light bike and low power made it more difficult to heat the tires up so they got ran at 25f&r around town and the couple times it went to the gap it was dropped to 20r 22f and it worked well. one big thing you have to look at is the weight of the bike and the power it makes. those are both big factors as to how fast it will heat up and eat up a tire. right sam. the viffer likes to eat tires when rode aggressively dont it?
81 gl1100....

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 10:57:35 pm »
Tire pressures also depend on the type and construction of the tires.  For instance, the Dunlop DOT (D209 race) tires I have on my bike, currently, are specified at 21 rear and 29 front. I generally run them between 21-23 rear and 29-30 front depending on how cold it is.   When I have Dunlop Qualifiers (street oriented sport tires) I run around 30 front and rear.  The 2ct's are street tires, so I would run 30-32 front and rear on twisties to improve grip, but if you intend to do a highway ride bump it up to 34-36 to improve wear. 
Quote from: jeff5150
just follow 129 on the map towards nc til it looks like a kid drawing it had a siezure
Quote from: Tomsljr
Know the difference between crack heads and Gap addicts? I have heard of people quitting crack.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy when getting on and off my High Horse!

Offline realmccoy1

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 10:08:39 am »
Really?!?! 23? lmfaoooooooooooooooooo draggin knee on the SV rawks... just sayin.... I want decent tire life, but I feel like my back end is slipping out right before and during an apex... Thoughts?

:34... that could be taken down so many 'dirt roads' I am being serious though.

The pressures you are running are not outragously high and the guys above are giving you good info on pressures. My first question is when are you getting on the gas?? Before, at, or after the apex?? Getting on the gas too late (at or after the apex) can cause the feeling of the back moving around as the slack is pulled out of the chain during the off to on gas transition. I would put your pressures in the low 30s, enter your corners slightly slower, and get on the gas earlier, before the apex. This will let the chassis settle down as you execute the rest of the turn.
SPORTBIKES4HIRE.COM

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 11:11:20 am »
+1 for McCoy.
That was gonna be my next question.

Dianna. Google proficcient motorcycling or twist of the wrist 1 and 2. Great reading material.

Also way too low of psi on street tires can give a wobble feeling as the rear transitions.from one side to another like sidewall flex on a car tire.
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.