Author Topic: Life-Star Membership Program  (Read 14068 times)

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
Life-Star Membership Program
« on: January 05, 2011, 06:47:23 pm »
If you ride in the mountains around here and happen to crash so that you need to go to the hospital, the chances are that you will be taken out in a helicopter since the road ambulance would take too long.

I found out a bit too late that the local Lifestar service is part of a network that has an enrollment program.  Basically, what ever a members insurance doesn't cover is considered paid in full when you get picked up by the med-evac.  In my case, my insurance covered $250, which didn't cover the cost of the ground ambulance to the landing zone.  My air bill is over $16,000!  Yearly cost for the program is about $50/yr for one person, $55/yr for two people and $60/yr for 3 or more member households!

Had I been able to find this info when I was looking a couple of months before my accident, my medical bills would be $16000 less.

BTW, I am a member.........now.

The following is the contact info:
Air Evac Lifeteam (Rural areas and original member based program)
1 (800) 793-0010
www.lifeteam.net

Med-Trans (Includes UT Lifestar)
1 (866) 751-4515
www.med-trans.net

Eagle Med
1 (800) 764-3343
www.flyeaglemed.com (Kansas and Oklahoma)

Membership through any one of these is honored by the other companies

The coverage area is most of the southern and mid-eastern states from TX to TN and GA to IL.  Check them out before you need to.....I wish I had been able to find this info earlier, when I was looking for it, originally.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:24:47 pm by 8Ball »
Quote from: jeff5150
just follow 129 on the map towards nc til it looks like a kid drawing it had a siezure
Quote from: Tomsljr
Know the difference between crack heads and Gap addicts? I have heard of people quitting crack.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy when getting on and off my High Horse!

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
Re: Life-Star Membership Program
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:48:17 pm »
great info!!!! :21
81 gl1100....

drop

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:18:19 pm »
nice info and ty.. im going to look into that

Offline Diannaleigh

• I like MotorBoats !!!!!
  • True Member
  • Head Biker Mama :P
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 01:16:12 am »
Four wheels move the body.  Two wheels move the soul.  ~Author Unknown

It takes more love to share the saddle than it does to share the bed.  ~Author Unknown

Offline easyr6

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 12:38:32 pm »
great find!  :21

Offline K5Gixxer

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:12:29 pm »
good find man....wish it covered VA and NC thats where all my fav roads are

Offline SilverZZR

• www.tnmountaintours.com
  • True Member
  • Suzuki FTW!!!
    • Brothers Cabin Staining
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 04:57:26 pm »
good find man....wish it covered VA and NC thats where all my fav roads are

The coverage area is most of the southern and mid-eastern states from TX to TN and GA to IL. <---- apparently it does
Dustin
2013 GSX-R1000
ETB Founder

www.tnmountaintours.com

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 06:48:03 pm »
The coverage area is most of the southern and mid-eastern states from TX to TN and GA to IL. <---- apparently it does

Actually, VA and NC (outside of the western edge) aren't on the coveage map.  http://www.lifeteam.net/ServiceArea/ServiceAreaMain.aspx
If you click on the individual bases, though, in the map you can see a service area for the base.  There is some coverage in western VA and western NC.

Basically for NC if the response would take you to Chattanooga or UT, it would probably be covered, but you'd need to contact them to be sure.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:06:59 pm by 8Ball »
just follow 129 on the map towards nc til it looks like a kid drawing it had a siezure
Know the difference between crack heads and Gap addicts? I have heard of people quitting crack.

Offline D.B.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 09:24:56 pm »
I'm curious where/how you found that Lifestar is a part of this network.  I'm definitely interested, I just can't find Lifestar listed on their their website or the accrediting org's site. 

Thanks!

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 10:47:58 pm »
I'm curious where/how you found that Lifestar is a part of this network.  I'm definitely interested, I just can't find Lifestar listed on their their website or the accrediting org's site. 

Thanks!
When they called to get my insurance info, I told the lady that I had been looking before my accident to see if there was a program. (I'd heard of something similar in Oregon)  She said "yes, I think so" and sent me a brochure.  Won't help with my current bill, but it shouldn't happen again.

BTW, Lifestar is actually Med-Trans. I have attached scans of the brochure that they sent.  If you look at the "AirMedCare" map in the first pic, it includes more locations than the Lifeteam map does, because it shows the combined network locations. The members of the network are Med-Trans, Air Evac Lifeteam and EagleMed.  But please don't take my word for it.  I do not have any affiliation with them (other than becoming a subscriber).  Contact them and ask questions BEFORE you consider joining.  My goal is only to prevent someone else from getting hit wit the same bill I've got right now.

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 07:25:48 pm »
I wonder why No NC coverage ? Maybe the state requires Ins co. to cover it here ?

I would definately calll them and ask before signing up.

Most all Heli flights in Nc go to Bryson city unless your really Bad off and need special services then its Asheville, Knox or Choo Choo. Seems if they even suspect you hit your head they want to lifeflight you now.

If its in Tn near the Gap or Cherohola your going to Knox or Maryville.

A map that was on there Website.

Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 08:46:24 pm »
Good point Sam. I would encourage anyone to cantact them and ask questions. 

BTW, to further clarify D.B.'s question, if you go to the med-trans.net site (which the UTLifestar is part of) they have a "Membership" tab on their site and the application is for the same program (AirMedCare). 

Here is the link for the med-trans locations, including UT:
http://www.med-trans.net/locations/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:18:32 pm by 8Ball »

Offline MEDIC

• just another mod
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 11:02:07 pm »
Thanks for posting ....  I'm stealing this info  :18

Offline D.B.

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 06:48:23 pm »
Cool.  'Preciate it. 

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 01:16:23 pm »
Here is a link to the thread Medic started at ETR.  There are some good questions brought up and also I have included some e-mail correspondance between myself and AirMedCare.

http://www.easttnriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38196

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 08:54:15 pm »
I editied the original post to include the contact info for all of the companies in the network.  Membership with any one of the companies is honored by the other two. It is just a matter of who gets the money.  For instance Air Evac Lifeteam (AEL) covers a lot of rural areas, and they were the original member based program.  Med-Trans, which is the parent company of UT Lifestar, partners with hospitals and is the largest of the companies (and apparently AEL does the billing for UT Lifestar, which is why the original membership info came from them) .  Eagle Med is mostly based in Kansas and Oklahoma.

When I was talking to the Med-Trans rep today about some questions raised in the ETR thread, I found out that the network was only rolled out afew months ago.  Med-Trans joined with AEL in September, which is why I couldn't find this info in July when I was looking for it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:57:28 pm by 8Ball »

Offline NeeNee

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 11:02:19 pm »
Great Info.  Thanks.  I will be doing this tomorrow.
1996 Yamaha TW200

Offline thirdgenlxi

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 12:23:48 am »
Some great info in here that I knew absolutely nothing about! I'll definitely be checking into this.... hope to god I never have to use it, but it seems like cheap insurance to save a $16k bill

Thanks for posting this up!
-Jared

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 224,400 miles and still kicking
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 416,300 miles still running strong

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 01:29:05 pm »
For y'all in NC, I have inquired about some areas regarding the Med-Trans coverage:

Just to keep y'all updated on the information I am getting from Karen (the CS Rep):

These are the areas I inquired about:

Murphy, Nc
Franklin,Nc
Brevard,Nc
Waynesville,Nc
Asheville,Nc
Hot springs, Nc

William,

The following bases/programs would service Murphy, NC:

1. Erlanger Life Force has 4 bases located in Blue Ridge and Calhoun, GA, Chattanooga, and Sparta, TN

In addition:
2. UT LIFESTAR has bases in Morristown, Sweetwater, Sevierville and Andersonville, TN.
I hope this clarifies coverage areas.

Regards,
Karen 

Franklin is served by Life Force and occasionally UT Lifestar. I'm working to clarify service area (if any) to other cities and will advise.

Thanks,

G. Karen Lafferty
Membership Services Coordinator
Med-Trans Corporation 

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 01:34:02 pm »
It is difficult to keep all the info up to date both here and on ETR, so please make sure you read both threads.

http://www.easttnriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38196

Offline MEDIC

• just another mod
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 12:09:15 pm »
Thanks bro for keeping ETR updated too !

Offline gotgixers

• Gixxersaurous rider
  • Legendary Member
  • Old Skool GSXR 7/12
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 09:44:55 pm »
Thanks for that info 8ball.... i will enroll 4 sure. I live right in Mcminn Co too...
I PITY THE FOOL, THAT DONT RIDE OLDSCHOOL

Offline HUNTIN 400SM

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 09:30:46 pm »
its well worth it due to a heli ride costs 16 to 20,000, know from experience. got my membership 2 days after the issue mr. duckworth had. it can happen to the best in a slip second

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 09:51:10 am »
A little added information. I joined and received ID Number by E Mail. Decals and membership info have been mailed.

My Opinion --- Worth $55 for two of us although no guarrantee you will be in their coverage area if in NC - VA. Likely, you will be around here. Decals help Emergency Medical Responders people know who to call.

I E Mailed and asked for additional Decals (would like on each helmet) and also asked question about coverage.

Got this back ----   Paul
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Membership materials were mailed yesterday, consisting of 2 membership cards, 2 car decals and 2 house decals. We do not offer motorcycle decals, however I will send an additional vehicle sticker for this purpose.

UT LIFESTAR is part of the AirMedCare Network formed by three major helicopter sister companies, Med-Trans, Air Evac and EagleMed comprising of 150 bases in 23 states. When you are a member of one you are covered when transported by one of the participating partners of the AirMedCare Network. Below is a screen shot of bases in your area. Currently we do not have bases located in North Carolina.

Paul's Comment ---- Coverage Map for this area that she sent in E Mail is below.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Best regards,
Karen
G. Karen Lafferty
Membership Services Coordinator
Med-Trans Corporation
2871 Lake Vista Dr., Ste 150
Lewisville, TX 75067
972-829-8382

Enrollment: 1-866-751-4515

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:00:06 am by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 12:03:48 pm »
Life force covers the far western NC area, Atleast near my house in Murphy, Nc (28906) and will usually transport you to Chattanooga, If in the Cherokee area Im not sure who covers it but they usually go to Asheville..

Hope this helps with info for NC coverage..
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline EsrTek

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 08:30:20 am »
Great info...needs to be made a sticky for future members!

Offline B.E.G.

• True Member
  • OUTLAW
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 09:02:36 pm »
Signing up this week

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 09:09:44 am »
The bill for my recent medivac helicopter ride was $30,682 and change for a 25 minute ride that covered 46 miles.

Whew!

Fortunately, Blue Cross covered all but $240 of it.  Hopefully, my military health insurance will pick the remainder up.  The moral here would be to check with your health insurance provider(s) to see if you're covered and to what extent. You may not need this special medivac insurance.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:38:58 am by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 09:14:38 pm »
Good you brought this up again.

I have heard MEDICARE covers this.

However,  not taking any chances. I joined when this post first came out.

$50 a year for family. That covers get sick or accident when Air Transport is needed.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:15:21 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 09:29:21 pm »
From the Air Evac site.  If I have Medicaid, do I need a membership?
No. Some state laws prohibit Medicaid beneficiaries from being offered membership or accepted into membership programs. As part of our application process, members certify to Air Evac Lifeteam that they are not Medicaid beneficiaries, with Air Evac Lifeteam accepting Medicaid as full payment for services rendered.
If I have Medicare and a supplemental policy, do I need a membership?
The answer varies, depending upon the nature of your transport and your supplemental insurance provider. In many cases, Medicare and the supplemental insurance coverage should pay for the cost of air ambulance transport if it is medically necessary and if Medicare believes you were taken to the closest appropriate hospital. However, we have seen cases where the supplemental insurance provider does not cover a remaining balance after Medicare has paid its portion. Many seniors have said they want a membership even if they have complete coverage, in the event that their insurance coverage changes in the future or if the claim is denied.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.