Author Topic: Trackday prep  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
Trackday prep
« on: November 16, 2011, 10:09:10 pm »
A few links to tracks and trackday org's for those wondering about what is needed to attend a trackday.

Those who have done trackdays feel free to add to this with yoiur list's.
Also please read the track website for which you will be going, Some tracks are a little bit different with there rules.

http://www.tgprace.com/trackdayinfo.htm
Bike Preparation & Riding apparel

Unplug head light and tail light. Tape over the lenses

Plain water in radiator for Intermediate & Advanced groups (Water Wetter & VP Cool Down  are OK)

Tape over or remove signal lights and mirrors

Remove all license tags

No fluid leaks. No glycol and/or ethyl based coolant is allowed in any bike. If we have to change it for you at the track there will be a $50 charge.

All bikes must be muffled to 103db or lower. No open pipes

Full riding suit.  Leather or ballistic fabric suits with reinforced elbows, knees. Two piece suits must fasten together.

Sturdy full leather lace up or zip up boots. No slip on boots allowed. Boots must be at least 8" high

Quality helmet with visor or goggles. Any tear off shields must be taped to helmet and must not removed while on the track

Sturdy leather gloves

Follow these from Sportbike Track time and you should be good @ almost any track..
http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/track-day-regulations.html

Track Day Regulations
Motorcycles and Equipment
◦You must ride a motorcycle appropriate for high performance track riding.
◦Severely underpowered motorcycles or those not suited to high speeds and lean angles will not be allowed on the track.
◦If you have any questions regarding your motorcycle and equipment, please contact us and we'll be happy to provide you with guidance.
Motorcycle Requirements
1.All bikes must pass technical inspection prior to admittance to the track. If your bike does not pass tech inspection, you will not receive a refund. It is your responsibility to have your bike prepared prior to riding on the race track.
2.Tires and brakes must be in good condition. Tires should be at least 50%+ of new condition. Any tires that are bluing from excessive wear will be disallowed. We will have on site tire service at most events, so if your tires don't pass, you may have the opportunity to put on replacement tires to pass tech. Please contact us to confirm tire service will be available at your event.
3.All glass, headlight, turn signals, and plastic lenses must be taped over or removed. Side mirrors must be removed for the advanced group and at least taped over for all other groups.
4.We recommend but do not require removal of center stands. No bikes with center stands will be allowed in the Advanced Group due to the ground clearance issue.
5.All machines must have an operational handlebar mounted kill switch/button and self-closing throttle in good working condition.
6.Advanced and Intermediate group riders must use water, water wetter or a non-ethyl glycol based anti-freeze/coolant. Approved Poly Glycol brands are: Evans, 7th Gear, Liquid Performance, and Engine Ice. Automotive ethyl glycol based coolants are not allowed.
7.All valve stems must have caps.
8.Wheel balance weights must be well secured and duct taping is required.
9.License plates must have bolts taped or be removed.
10.Advanced riders only must safety wire oil drain plugs, oil filter and oil fill caps. Intermediate must have a minimum of RTV or Silicone dab on the oil drain plugs and oil filter. ** Please note that if you spill oil on the track your day is over.
11.Safety Wire How To.
Rider Gear Requirements
1.Damage free BSI,ECE-2205, DOT or SNELL full-face helmet with face shield.
2.Riding boots that fully cover the ankle.
3.Gauntlet style gloves with full wrist coverage.
4.One or two piece leathers. Two piece leather suits must zip together for Novice, Intermediate or Advanced groups. Ballistic nylon suits such as Joe Rocket, AeroStitch etc. are acceptable in the Novice ONLY. They can be one piece or two piece that zip together with 50% zipper contact, reinforced and padded shoulders, elbows, hips, and knee areas. No chaps.
5.Advanced and Intermediate group riders are required to wear back protectors. Soft back pads sewn into suits are not enough. We sell Knox back protectors at special STT member discounts. We can arrange to deliver your new back protector to you the day of your event or ship it to your home. We have a limited number of back protectors for rent at each event.
6.STT also asks that you consider the use of a chest protector.

More sugestions.

Spare parts, clipons, rearsets, nut-bolt asst, levers etc.
Atleast one 5 gallon gas can (full)
New tires, Sticky ones preferred, Pilot Powers will do for most beginners.
Tools, What ever you might need to tear your bike apart incase of breakdown or crash repair,
Spare set of wheels/tires if doing multiple days, A set of tires will usually last 1.5 days on the track. Some tracks you can "flip" the tires for longer life as these tracks are` mostly Left Turns.

Safety wire is not required in Novice or Intermediate at most tracks but if you can then please do,

Have a knowledgeable person or tech go over setting up your suspension before hand, Also try to get a little ride time in on the new settings.

No Antifreeze allowed @ any track I know of. Water Wetter can be added to Water to help increase the boiling point and act like a lubricant for the waterpump.  Can be found at your autoparts store.

Carry a spare helmet in case of a crash and your helmet sustains damage, If your bike is fixable your day wont be ruined.

Full Race suit, 2pc or 1pc is reccomended, Some tracks may let you on track with a highend textile suit, If 2pc it MUST zip all the way around at the waist.

Drink lots of water and eat snacks ALL DAY, More so in summer, It gets hot on that asphalt and the track itself WILL wear you out.  Most people skip the last session-s due to Dehydration setting in.  Know the symptoms, It can kill you...

Start drinking extra water a day or 2 before will also help prevent dyhdration.

Its not all about prepping the bike, You got to prep yourself too.
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/tc/dehydration-topic-overview

:21 :21 :21

Im sure others can/will come up with some things I didnt..
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
Re: Trackday prep
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 10:16:32 pm »
:34
I didnt read what I copied from the websites so the info I added at the bottom is a little redundant, Just remember its your Arse that your trying to protect..

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: Re: Trackday prep
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 06:14:10 am »
Great add sam :21 I am joining a gym within the next month or so. But I never thought about doing it for track days. Makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline bug600

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 11:02:09 am »
Great add sam :21 I am joining a gym within the next month or so. But I never thought about doing it for track days. Makes a lot of sense.

No need in joining a gym. Try P90X,i've been doin it for 5 days now and it's KICKIN' my ARSE!
Slow turd in training!

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:19:16 pm »
I prob need to do that too. My problem is stamina. I get tired before makin a full pass on the hill. I can't imagine how a few laps on the track will affect me :(

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 12:38:59 pm »
i have p90x plus all the added videos and nutrition programs for p90x and beach body. its all on my laptop. i can bring it over and we can set up my hdmi cable to the big screen and do the program together if you want to curt....
81 gl1100....

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 04:13:26 pm »
Sounds good

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 05:42:24 am »
Dont want to muddy up the other thread but has anyone asked about doing some 2up, possibly in the Novice class. Im sure the G/F  or wives would enjoy it..

Pretty sure Me n Cornerman could make it look fun..

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 09:12:09 am »
I don't see a problem with it at all. they don't have it in the rules and we are not having to comply with STT since we are doing our own thing. I think it would be pretty cool

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

Offline bug600

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 05:00:31 pm »
I know this is way too early to think about but it's been on my mind. Does anyone have a beacon and if not i say let's pool up and buy one for the board.
Slow turd in training!

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 06:15:19 pm »
Beacon??

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 06:37:55 pm »

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 12:09:52 am »
what is the lap distance at lil tally??? like 1.xx miles per lap. just curious
81 gl1100....

Offline Trav-A$$

• True Member
  • Track or Street.... It's still riding!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 09:55:47 am »
1.4 miles
Track Addict....

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 10:30:25 am »
cool thanks.... i have a gps based program on my phone that tracks elapsed time, avg speed, top speed, etc... and it auto logs it every mile and even gives splits between each mile and auto uploads all the info to a website for review at anytime. im gonna see if it will let me adjust the mileage between splits to 1.4 miles instead of a mile.... not sure on that part though..... if not 5 laps would be 7 miles and that would make it simple math to calculate times if we dont have some sort of lap timer system. plus id like to see what kind of mph is ran in sections of the track to see where its possible to carry more speed to reduce times
81 gl1100....

Offline bug600

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 06:10:57 pm »
Just finished day 15 of P90X! Come on track day!
Slow turd in training!

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 12:14:44 am »
Just finished day 15 of P90X! Come on track day!

what kind of results are you getting... i still havnt started the program yet but i really need to.
81 gl1100....

Offline bug600

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 01:32:27 pm »
what kind of results are you getting...

I'm not gonna get the results like they do on tv because i don't eat the way they want you to,even though i know i should. I just want to get in shape and feel better. Now,i know it's only been 2 weeks but i feel better than i have in a long time and i can tell a HUGE difference in my stamina.
Slow turd in training!