Author Topic: '73 xs 650 ratbob project  (Read 1772 times)

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
'73 xs 650 ratbob project
« on: December 03, 2011, 12:06:35 am »
this is project i got for the boss. not so sure this is the right thing to start her out on, but its what i got for now. would really like to trade it on something a little more beginnerish, but then i wouldnt have a ratbob. oh, the delimas in life.... ::)

picked this thing up in a trade more or less like it sits, without the saddle. need to clean the carbs, straighten out some wiring (i.e. toggle switches, yeah baby!), maybe fix the starter but dang i like kickin' 'em. might have to let her sit and rust a little more for just that right neglected look. ive got her to pop and crack a few times but really havent had a lot of time to fool with it. it was pretty much a pig in a poke but the ol' boy needed the little car, so..... anyway, just thought i would share another piece of rust with you guys. hope you enjoy!

and pay no mind to the crap in the background, my junk pile is getting a bit rediculous.

[attachment deleted by admin]
What does "riding season" mean?

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: '73 xs 650 ratbob project
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 11:09:02 am »
Is it a sickness if as I'm staring at the pic, I am going through a laundry list of things i would do to it. haha

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 01:24:34 pm »
 :34

Online LukeNukeEm

• Artist Formally known as Bosgarage57
  • True Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 02:10:41 pm »
That looks great! I love bobbers  :22 :D  If you need someone to help you ride it let me know!

Offline gotgixers

• Gixxersaurous rider
  • Legendary Member
  • Old Skool GSXR 7/12
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 01:13:39 pm »
Is it a sickness if as I'm staring at the pic, I am going through a laundry list of things i would do to it. haha

+1, I was doing the same thing..... :34
I PITY THE FOOL, THAT DONT RIDE OLDSCHOOL

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 10:18:27 pm »
im thinking make it run and stop like it should and cut her loose. its gonna get dropped. its gonna get skinned. it aint gonna hurt it one bit. like i said, its her "starter" bike. if she can handle the clutch, its a might stiff and she has little bitty hands.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: Re: '73 xs 650 ratbob project
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 04:24:46 am »
You might try to lube the crap out of the cable. Old cables tend to get stiff and hard to pull. If that doesn't work after lubing all the moving parts you may try to get a cable. Should run about $18 for that bike.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 06:44:52 am »
ive hosed most of the bike down with pb blaster but it didnt seem to do much if anything for the cable. unhooked the cable moves quite freely.maybe ill just change it over to a jockey shift....