Author Topic: Winter Cold Day Rides (Talking range of 30F to lower 40Fs) - Update 0n 18th  (Read 1117 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
COLD FINGER SOLUTION -- Cheap way (not electric gloves) -- Most cold weather rides are less than a few hours and it genearlly warms up as the day time goes by.  I am talking 30F start and warm to mid 40F. I consider this a range of temperatures where I need MITTENS (vs Gloves) and also Heat Packs if I intend to ride more than 30 minutes at a time.  I personally don't ride when it is much less than 30F because I worry about ice (black ice especially) on the road (especially if there has been any recent moisture in the area).

Above temperatures of low 40s, you can start thinking about switching to some sort of glove or glove with a liner glove.  

30s and low 40s --- I use MITTENS, like a snow skiing or snowmobile mitten.  (mittens, not gloves).  :)

First, I use a light weight liner glove (mittens would be better for liner also, but I have not found any as of this time). Then, I use MITTENS over the liner gloves. Good for 40F easily.

Want a little more comfort at 40F or lower (Down to 30F or upper 20s) --- Add the chemical heat packs in the lower part of the mitten.

NOTE: You will need the Liner Gloves inside the Mittens when using Heat Packs as the Heat Pack can be too hot against bare skin.

NOTE -- IMPORTANT to open the heat packs and prepare them some time (1/2 hour) before you ride to allow the chemical to produce heat.  Just get them ready and then get the bike out and get rest of your gear on.  

HEAT PACK ECONOMY --  Since it is often cold in the morning hours (say start at 30F) and warms up to lower or mid 40s by noon or afternoon, you may only need the heat packs a few hours. They will last from 4 to 8 hours and provide enough heat to make a difference. YOU CAN split a size that is intended for one hand or one foot. I sometimes use the foot size to split, but the hand size will work. You can reduces the cost per ride by 1/2 the price of using two packs.  ;D

I bought some at a price that equals two packs (one for each hand) for about 60 cents (usually that is closer to $1) -- so, take one and split it to make one for each hand and it is 30 cents per ride or 50 cents per dride.  ;D

PRIOR to cutting the packet, cut two pieces of DUCT TAPE to a length  1/2 inch or so longer than the width of the heat pack where you intend to cut it.  

CUT the HEAT PACK for one hand or foot into two pieces. Lay heat pack on a surface for cutting (a surface that you do not mind scratching with a knife as you cut the heat pack and will not dull your knife). Then take the back side of your knife blade and work the chemical from the middle of the pack to each side (evenly). Then cut thru the packet in the middle where there is no chemical powder after you have spread it.  MAKE SURE you use a sharp knife and get a clean cut thru the material of the packet before you try to tape the ends closed.

AFTER cutting the heat pack, use the duct tape to close the open ends of the heat pack you have cut into two pieces. WARNING -- Be gentle about moving the heat pack around to avoid loosing the chemical out of the cut you made. Also, make sure the duct tape overlaps the heat packs at the end of the cuts to avoid any leakage of the chemicals.

Advantages  -- you have a smaller less bulky heat pack in the end of the MITTENS and you will still have enough heat to be warm (or warmer) than without them.

A friend sent this info   --- Electric Gloves (Cheap Enough).
There are other cheaper electric gloves...don't know if they are any good or not.   http://www.thewarmingstore.com/lectra-glove-nordic-gear.html?gclid=CMD1lc-y2K0CFQtZ7AodgmtZlw

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:25:42 am by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
Re: Winter Cold Day Rides (Talking range of 30F to lower 40Fs)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:00:56 am »
i usualy just give half an hour and my fingers go numb. not a problem aftert that.  :haha
What does "riding season" mean?

Offline LukeNukeEm

• Artist Formally known as Bosgarage57
  • True Member
Re: Winter Cold Day Rides (Talking range of 30F to lower 40Fs)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:10:23 am »
My problem seems to be that if I wear insulated gloves (or boots for that matter) I sweat, and then it gets cold and stays cold.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Updated on 18th ---

A friend sent this -- Electric Gloves.

There are other cheaper electric gloves...don't know if they are any good or not.   http://www.thewarmingstore.com/lectra-glove-nordic-gear.html?gclid=CMD1lc-y2K0CFQtZ7AodgmtZlw
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)