Author Topic: steering damper.  (Read 1415 times)

Offline skeeter

• True Member
  • if you are gonna go,go old school.
steering damper.
« on: January 25, 2012, 12:08:33 am »
i got a 2002 250 virago. alittle over 5k on it . when i jack the front end up & smack the handle bars , they just bounce from side to side . i did what the manual said to tighten the front end down. nothing . surely the bearing are ok with only  5k. the little varmit really tries to get away from you at low speed.low speed turns are very iffy. if i ride like i did when i was a kid ,its better. not a kid any more. if i was i would not have got a 250. at about 45 or 50 it is ok , but you still have to be right on it. it may be a custom deal . like those shock dampers on sport bikes. funny thing , at 70 or 75 its fine. not in that big of a hurry . all ready been there. my last bike was a kawaski 500 triple . 1973 model  i think.  it hade the damper knob in the middle of the triple tree. worked great till i loosened it up thinking  " wonder why this thing is alittle hard to steer sitting still" ? found out right quick, got a tank slapper. i am right before a tank slapper on my little varmit . & yes it will do 75 that i know about. still had much more. but only after i regeared it. 17/41 gears . they come with 16/45 , like a mt goat. i guess i,ll call willys , he does me good . where does jason/knoxvillian work ? i need to talk to him about a sissy bar. yeah i know , i am a little old man , on a little  school bike   , but i am still riding. thanks skeeter
 ???
if you are gonna go,go old school.

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
Re: steering damper.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:55:50 am »
First check the manual for the proper torque of the steering stem nut.

I wouldnt think a cruiser type bike would have Eank Slapper issues unless there was something else wrong.

Check the front wheel n forks also.
?Wheel Bearings excessively worn ?
Fork Leg Bushings ?
Forks to steering stem mounts ?
Other suspension issues ?

Tank slappers are generally caused by an agressive rake/trail setup, Kinda like a worn grocery cart wheel that wobbles.
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline skeeter

• True Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:49:39 pm »
thanks for the reply , haven't really had a tank slapper yet . when i jack the front end up & flip the handle bars , the front end will just bounce from lock to lock about 2 times . did what the manual said . nothing . checked all the stuff you talked about .all ok . from the exploded view of the triple tree in the manual , there is no damper system. this makes the bike really unstable at low speed . if i just got ahead & give it the gas the gyro effect will kick in & all is ok . but i am a 58 year little guy , thus the 250 & haven't ridden since the mid 70's . i know from the old days that most of the trouble on a bike happens at low speed . i am thinking about maybe one of those little shock looking things that i see one sport bikes " which i know nothing about" because the last bike i had was a kawsaki mach 3 72 or 73 . on  it for a damper , it had a plastic knob you just turned. one day in loosened it up as i thought i was getting fast on that widow maker . it did the same thing mine is doing now . problem makes it hard to putt around  & at my age that all i need . don't need the speed , i already been there. thanks skeeter 

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: Re: steering damper.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:08:51 am »
Hmmm... I am with sam on this. But you checked all that maybe a damper will help you.

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 12:48:13 pm »
Steering Damper not needed.  judging from your last post.  I dont see anything actually wrong.  Steering dampers are more to help you control the wobble effect one gets from agressive Suspension setups.

If your worried about low speed manuvers just give it some gas, lean a little more. Parking lot kinda stuff just drag the rear brake.  The bars should only wobble if you hit a bump.

Otherwise you may want to look at other areas for that wobble/unsteady feeling such as wheel bearings, Worn shocks, Fork bushings, Swing arm pivot etc.

Im leaning more toward its just the Nut connecting the seat to the bars.
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline skeeter

• True Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 09:41:28 pm »
oh i know the real problem is the nut between the bars & the seat . what kinda guy would buy a bike after 37 years. a nut. but i also know that when you jack the front end up & just flip the handle bars a little , they should not just flop from side to side.