Author Topic: Lawn Mower Grass BLOWN All Over Road by (Should I say idiots)  (Read 7874 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
A friend riding double with his wife on a Goldwing leaving his neighborhood went down due to grass blown on the road by a neighbor that had mowed his yard and left the grass on the road.  

Slow speed, but still he had rib damge, both had some road rash, and bruises, etc. They had sweat shirts and light MC jackets over the shirts. Nothing torn on jacket, etc. - but, still road rash. Slight torn jeans and knee skinned. Not sure of all the details of damage he said, but something like that. Of course some damage to the Wing (nothing major, not even on the paint).

Situation -- apparently grass all over the road. He was meeting a truck and camp trailer and tried to slow (brakes). He said, barely touched the brakes and down she went. Lucky, not worse than it was.  :)

Friend had the law out about it. Law said that is not considered littering the road. Friend said - anything placed on the road is litter.

Friend plans to sue the neighbor -- don't know how that will come out. I hope he wins. I also hope someone would pass a  LAW (another law because idiots do something that causes you a problem and you have no recourse because there is no LAW).  ???

No law against Blowing Grass All Over a Road Surface? I wonder if it is OK to spill Oil ALL OVER a road, spill NAILS ALL OVER a road.

It is kind of like Dogs Runing Loose -- most places (especially rural areas) have no leash laww. Only law in TN is your dog shall not get off your property onto roads or neighbors property. Not enforced anyway - call sheriff about the situation and about all they will do is say - We can go by and warn owner, but cannot do anythting unless we see the dog doing wsomething. I told the sheriff one time - come out and sit on the corner and  will rdie my MC by a neighbors house and you can see it happen. They Did Not.

Anyway, moral of story is -- Watch for mown grass on a road (as we all know anyway), but make sure you can cross it with out having to put brakes on or make a turn.  :groan    

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:21:47 am by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
Re: Lawn Mower Grass BLOWN All Over Road (by should I say idiots)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 01:24:36 am »
i was just reading a thread on a different site about this same thing. is it that people just arent aware of the safety issue or they just dont care?  ???
What does "riding season" mean?

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 06:32:19 am »
Id say most arent aware, Im staying out of this though, Last time I joked about it people got there panties in a wad.

I will say. The state makes more of a mess when mowing the road sides than most home owners.  If its in the road its a road hazard and road debris.  Lets all ride around behind the state mowers so we can sue them..

I have a section of grass I dont have much choice but I do go back n ride up n down a few times trying to blow the grass back off the road.
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 07:26:43 am »
I will say. The state makes more of a mess when mowing the road sides than most home owners.  If its in the road its a road hazard and road debris.  Lets all ride around behind the state mowers so we can sue them..

[/quote]

TerrE, ride buddy, reported back that one time the Cherohala on TN side was covered with grass nearly the whole length.

One would think that at least the State would be aware and clean it up. Course more tax payer money needed and everyone wants to not pay taxes.
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: Re: Lawn Mower Grass BLOWN All Over Road by (Should I say idiots)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 10:42:40 am »
Most people don't realize just how slick grass on the road is. I spend some time myself blowing off all the grass on the road when I mow.

Posted by Tapatalk Smartphone App

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
Re: Lawn Mower Grass BLOWN All Over Road by (Should I say idiots)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 08:28:45 pm »
As for your buddy in the residential, The owner probbaly had no clue,  I would think in a court case one would need to prove malicious intent of some level.  Having a polite talk with the home owner would most likely do more good for everyone than a lawsuit. Then the own er will be aware of the dangers and perhaps spread the word to others. 

Kinda like getting a warning ticket in place of a speeding ticket, w/ a warning Im more alert to go thru that area w/ more respect for the officer and the law.  Give me a fine and well, I wont be so easy to catch the next time.
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline ratster

• True Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 10:28:45 pm »
i was just reading a thread on a different site about this same thing. is it that people just arent aware of the safety issue or they just dont care?  ???

OR.......Should the rider have been paying better attention to the possibilty of road hazards and adjusted  accordingly?

Either way I'm glad that the damage was minimal and they were basically unhurt. :21