Author Topic: goldwing electrical issue (?)  (Read 1864 times)

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
goldwing electrical issue (?)
« on: April 09, 2012, 02:26:39 am »
okay, so new stator, new regulator, at idle it pushes 12.8- 12.9 v by the voltmeter consistantly (dash guage of course reads less, not concerned) , at operating rpm's its pushing 15.1 - 15.7v. now i can accept 13 to 14 volts, but isnt 15+ a bit much? is this normal for these older wings? ???

im still learning the wing as its my first one, and of course im going to check some of the goldwing sites, but if anyone can share a little insight i'd greatly appreciate it.

one thing i do know is that i havent HAD to work on it till now. not bad for some 14k-ish miles. i loves me some honda engineering.

:pop
What does "riding season" mean?

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: Re: goldwing electrical issue (?)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 06:09:05 am »
I would think that 15v would be too much? And if so that would be the regulator.

Posted by Tapatalk Smartphone App

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
Re: goldwing electrical issue (?)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:13:29 am »
new regulator. i know that sometimes you can get a bad one new but thr probability is out there.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: Re: goldwing electrical issue (?)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:21:04 am »
Yeah, but rare ???

Posted by Tapatalk Smartphone App

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline cowboy450

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 07:23:56 pm »
My vote is regulator also.
82 Aspencade, 83 Interstate, 81 Bobber

A Goldwing isn't an old mans bike, it's a wise mans bike. Often that wisdom comes with age.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 09:03:37 pm »
Not a Goldwing -- but my Burgman 650 Scooter.

After a major failrure (long story, I suspect the regulator, but I may have caused it with an old battery installation) -- result was breakdown after about 140 miles of riding, I was in Cherokee, NC on the way home. Blew every light bulb that was on, blew the 12 v input (shorted it) into the ECM (Computer Model) and ;lost power (needless to stay).  Long story on the fix -- found fuse blown, found input to ECM was shorted blowing fuse. Got tha squared away so it would run on the battery. Left regulator poutput diconnected to evaluate it. High output voltage. decided to replace it thinking it caused the problem.

ANYWAY -- final readings (I installed a digital VM like you plug into a car power output adapter) and connected it to the Scooter power output adapter). It reads 14 to 14.2 VDC when operating.

15 to 15.7 does sound high -- but I understand the voltage can have a range. Just curious, where are you measuring the votage (at the regulator output or at the battery).   
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 09:27:09 pm »
im measuring at the battery paul. decided to ride it for a while today and after about a hundred miles or so it seems to have planed off and is reading within "normal" parameters. 13.5v to 14.1v. oh well, im not gonna sweat it till it quits again, of course i did try an "old ford trick" on it, i whacked the regulator with a screwdriver handle a few times. . . . . . . .

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 04:47:52 pm »
Wonder -- if initial high voltage was due to battery needing a lot of charge.  ???
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:04:04 pm »
Wonder -- if initial high voltage was due to battery needing a lot of charge.  ???

had left it on charger overnight so i would be working with a system up to par. i dont know what was causing the issue. i had checked some of the goldwing sites but didnt find anything that specific, maybe i didnt look hard enough?