Author Topic: 250R start problem  (Read 3728 times)

Offline GreenEnvie

250R start problem
« on: April 15, 2012, 09:41:41 am »
The bike has an issue with starting. I got caught out back in Feb. and just now getting to work on her. She just completely died on me. I thought that maybe water had gotten into it and corroded the insides, but I took the switch apart and it looks new on the inside.

*****here are some photos of the switch******

Here is a video to show you all.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:26:58 am by GreenEnvie »
-Burnsey
04' Ninja EX250

Offline ellis976

• True Member
Re: 250R start problem
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:57:28 am »
since you hafta wiggle the switch around to get it to work i would think a wire in it is loose or maybe got a itty bitty bare spot in one of the wires leading into and grounding on the bar? ....  and a sticky throttle is not a good thing

Offline GreenEnvie

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:15:26 am »
Yeah the throttle was going to be the second question. How would I go about fixing that? It has been that way the whole time I have owned the bike.
-Burnsey
04' Ninja EX250

Offline ellis976

• True Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 12:56:43 pm »
i would check to make sure the grip aint hitting the barend or anything else it shouldnt touch . maybe a little spray lube inside the cable . if the bike has ever been dropped or wrecked double check that nothing got jammed up or bent .. it has been apart ,so make sure everything is lined up as it should be when goin back together .if all that seems good make sure the linkage on the other end of the cables is moving freely not bent and all that . besides a bent bar i have personally had those issues , hopefully somebody else with more knowledge will chime in

Offline LukeNukeEm

• Artist Formally known as Bosgarage57
  • True Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 03:21:22 pm »
If it isnt cranking or making any noise when you press the start button then it has to be a wire  I would think.  Is yours an 06?  If so we have the same bike :21

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 07:02:42 pm »
Can't tell from Video -- I do not see a Neutral light on the dash (my 500 has one).  However, I assume you are in Neutral and not using the Clutch (switch to allow it to start in gear with the clutch in) as I doubt you would be sitting there holding the clutch lever in. 

But, if you are using the clutch -- I have been having a problem with the clutch switch (not allowing me to start it while in gear with clutch pulled in). It is an intermittent problem. I end up having to go to Neutral to start.

I lubricated the switch one time as I could see the button was not mechanically sliding out when I pulled clutch lever in. That seemed to help -- but it is doing it again.

Sometimes mine starts using the Clutch switch in gear and sometiems it does not and I have to go to neutral (then it starts every time).

It looks like jiggling the housing allowed yours to start one time (so as everyone says, maybe it is a wire). It could also just be the contacts on the start button acting intermittently.  ???

An Example (I do not know if the Kawasaki Start Button is the same design as my Burgman 650 --likely it is NOT the same design). But, for info -- My Burgman was acting up (a common problem per the Burgman USA web site). It is a crappy design- Pushing the black button in results in pushing a plastic slide that slides inside a plastic  assembly. That plastic slide has a spring (horizontal) that returns it to the Out Position when you release it.

Here is the problem -- That plastic slide also has a copper strip (shaped sort of like a staple) that fits in a groove with a verical spring that pushes the "staple" up against the contacts (that cause a connection to start the bike, and when in pout position pushes up agains contacts to light the headlights).

The headlight thing, I assume is unique to the Burgman as the headlights are on when you turn the key on and then go out when you push to start and come back on when you release the push start button. That is, when the start button is NOT pushed and the horizontal spring makes the slide move back to the Out Position, the "staple' is pushed up against contacts that light the headlights. SO, I was having both problems (intermittent start and intermiitent headlight operation).

The Design Problem and My Fix -- The groove that the "staple" is in was not wide enough (loose enough fit for the "staple") to allow the vertical spring to push the "staple" up against either set of contacts reliably (intermittent operation).   

Anyway, I scraped around on the groove to make the staple fit more loosely. I also bent the staple a bit to make it fit more loosely in the groove. NO MORE PROBLEMS last 30000 miles or so.

I DOUBT yours is same design (but could be a similar probelem). So, if you take it apart again, look at the mechanical aspect of the design.

Maybe, when it is apart you could get to the wires after the contact of the switch, and touch them together or make contact with a metal object to see if it starts every time. If it did, that would tell you it is a switch contact problem.

Good Luck.  ;D     

Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline GreenEnvie

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 07:21:40 pm »
If it isnt cranking or making any noise when you press the start button then it has to be a wire  I would think.  Is yours an 06?  If so we have the same bike :21

Mine is an 04', but it is the same bike from practically 1988-2007.

Next time I am over there I will try some dry lube on the throttle cable inside the housing.

And also I am starting to think wire/contact because I can take the housing apart from the back(like in the first picture) and when I press the start button it will start right up every time.
-Burnsey
04' Ninja EX250

Offline LukeNukeEm

• Artist Formally known as Bosgarage57
  • True Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 09:51:33 pm »
Yea the 04's yellow is a bit different.  It sounds to me like a contact as well, something in that housing isnt getting along when you tighten it all up.

Are you a member over on ninjette.org?  You could ask over there and get more help.

We are have a ninja 250 rally coming up this year in august, lastyear it was at the dragon, this year in Asheville.  Had 250'ers from DC, Maryland, and Colorado.  You should try to make it, I'll be going!

Also consider joing ninja250forum.com, it is a small forum but very friendly, that is where you can find all the rally info!

Offline skeeter

• True Member
  • if you are gonna go,go old school.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 10:18:11 pm »
may sound stupid , but look at your kick stand saftey thinngy. got me one time.
if you are gonna go,go old school.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: Re: 250R start problem
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 06:38:19 am »
Not stupid at all. I was going to say the same thing if he was trying to start it in gear. That's normily the last thing anyone thinks of.

Posted by Tapatalk Smartphone App

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline GreenEnvie

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 12:13:24 pm »
Not stupid at all. I was going to say the same thing if he was trying to start it in gear. That's normily the last thing anyone thinks of.

nope. she is in neutral.
-Burnsey
04' Ninja EX250

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 12:23:31 pm »
If you can't figure it out get in touch with bryan at willis cycle works in west knoxville. Or spike240sx at x1motosprts. If the budget doesn't allow for that get in touch with me, maybe some of us can get together at the shop here in sevierville and figure it out. :21

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Spike240SX

• LED Lighting Nut
  • True Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 11:41:06 pm »
Give me a shout some time after this week if Willis doesnt have time. Ive gote a Buell meet to attend or else I could get to it sooner.

Ooh, and I love searching for electrical gremlins. And that sticky throttle should be a cinch to free up.

Number is 515 eight six four 8750

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk!

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 07:14:21 am »
Speaking of your buell meet. Any of them coming over to bike. Night?? We can maybe go in on a banner welcoming them?

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

Offline Spike240SX

• LED Lighting Nut
  • True Member
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 08:06:22 am »
Sadly no, I brought it up but it was quickly shot down due other activities thst evening and the distance from the resort.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk!

Offline GreenEnvie

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 03:49:09 pm »
Alright guys/girls i fooled around with the bike today. I took the switch completely apart and cleaned everything with component cleaner, put her back together and also lubed up the throttle cable with some wd-40. The throttle is so much better now. It snaps back now and response is better. The starter button works fine now. I tried it about 10 times and it fired right up everytime.
-Burnsey
04' Ninja EX250

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 04:14:04 pm »
:21 Awesome!!

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 08:34:22 pm »
Alright guys/girls i fooled around with the bike today. I took the switch completely apart and cleaned everything with component cleaner, put her back together and also lubed up the throttle cable with some wd-40. The throttle is so much better now. It snaps back now and response is better. The starter button works fine now. I tried it about 10 times and it fired right up everytime.

Only thing I would add is -- WD40 does not last long. I have had great luck with DuPont Teflon Lube (spray can like WD40) picked up at Lowes  for general use.

I use DuPont Teflon Chain Lube (I think it is heavier) on my chain -- picked up at WALMART.

My 2 cents worth is -- if throttle cabe acts up again use the Teflon Lube.  Someone else might have beetter idea.
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline GreenEnvie

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 11:25:44 pm »
Only thing I would add is -- WD40 does not last long. I have had great luck with DuPont Teflon Lube (spray can like WD40) picked up at Lowes  for general use.

I use DuPont Teflon Chain Lube (I think it is heavier) on my chain -- picked up at WALMART.

My 2 cents worth is -- if throttle cabe acts up again use the Teflon Lube.  Someone else might have beetter idea.

Sounds good. WD-40 was all I had at the time yesterday. I will make a note to look for that stuff at walmart. God knows I or the wife will be there at least once if not twice a week.
-Burnsey
04' Ninja EX250