Author Topic: Unbiased Helmet Testing  (Read 5327 times)

Offline r6boater

• True Member
Unbiased Helmet Testing
« on: May 06, 2012, 09:13:57 pm »
Since this is a forum for information, below is a link that I find very informative.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/home

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 06:43:43 am by SilverZZR »

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: Unbiased Helmet Testing
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:30:22 pm »
Great Thread :21
Everyone need to read this so they know what they are looking at when they buy a helmet. It's not always the cheapest or the most expensive

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline NitroSpazzz

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 08:06:28 am »
http://www.webbikeworld.com/

I always check there first when I'm thinking of new gear.

Offline r6boater

• True Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 08:46:52 am »
Nice link for reviews. I like the sharp site for actual safety testing though. Doesnt matter how pricey or loud the helmet is, they just rate the helmets performance for crash worthiness.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 03:22:04 pm »
Is it just me or Sharp Site does not list a lot of brands  ???
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline r6boater

• True Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 04:38:20 pm »
Only the brands they test. And keep in mind, they are in the UK, so some brands imported to the US may not be imported to the UK.

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 06:48:58 pm »
Alot of brands also dont do the UK testing standard as IIRC it is a bit tougher to pass.
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 10:10:17 pm »
I was at Cycle Gear mainly looking at Slider Jeans, dress to slide not to ride  ::)

Anyway, I have also looked at their helmets and did again tonight -- BILT Brand.

They always have sales on (likely never sold for the retail anyway).  ???

There was one model I liked $70 solid color and $80 Garphic. Flip down sun visor. Nice looking, Comfortable (perhaps a littlelarge for me in L size and a little small for me in M size.

DOT and the ECE stamp - not sure I have the ECE initial rright. 

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
Re: Re: Unbiased Helmet Testing
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 11:33:23 am »
Pretty interesting that bell helmets are as safe as they are for the price.

Sent telepathically using Tapatalk 2.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline kawidoll

• True Member
  • Riding with isn't so bad...
    • Lamons Insurance Info
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 10:22:09 pm »
I'm excited about this info. The link that NitroSpazzz put up helped me out a bunch. It led me to this site that told me what an ECE rating really was:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/ece-22-05.htm
I just bought my 3rd BILT helmet ( being a girl I can never make up my mind  :groan ) because they are the most comfortable fit for me personally. However, this is the first one that has had ECE 22-05 as well as DOT. I definitely feel better about it after have read all this. The price, $75, was a plus. There a great place on the back of the new one for a sticker, too.  :34
It's not about what you ride or how you ride it, but it's about the amout of joy that riding brings you while you're doing it.

Offline gotgixers

• Gixxersaurous rider
  • Legendary Member
  • Old Skool GSXR 7/12
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 09:41:32 am »
Really good info !...
I PITY THE FOOL, THAT DONT RIDE OLDSCHOOL

Offline Wamphyri*DFR*

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 12:00:22 am »
That site is another reason I bought the Shark RSR2. Don't think I'll buy anything else now..............even if I have to buy from the UK. Oh, and the lightest helmet I've ever had too.
I Samuel 17:49

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 07:49:41 am »
I havge to admitt. Your shark is one of the nicest helmets I think I have seen. Sucks they don't sell them in the us anymore :mad

ETB Rocks!!! using Tapatalk Smart Phone App

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Darren Burnett

• True Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 11:53:26 am »
I just did a product report on the new KALI Protectives NAZA helmet in carbon fiber. It should be up on dragbike.com by the end of the day and I will post here as well. A very nice, ultra light weight helmet with some really cool safety technology..........and a reasonable price !!

D
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa-OEM tank emblems

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 03:44:23 pm »
FRIEND SENT ME THIS not Shark but Spark  --- A lousy web site to use for my 2 cent worth.

http://www.sparxhelmets.com/

He pointed out FREE Repacement for accident damage. He apparenty ordered one on E Bay (open face).

Personally, I am not buying any helmet I cannot try on first (too may differences in fit).  :groan

Offline EVILTWIN

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 11:47:03 am »
Curt; you can STILL get "Sharks" here!

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 07:11:26 pm »
really? What at? Thats awesome

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

Offline EVILTWIN

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 09:45:33 pm »
The same site that i bought my lid from and as far as i know since the last i looked the other day, sportbiketrackgear.com !!!

Offline EVILTWIN

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 10:04:40 pm »
OH!!!; and while you're there,take a look at the ARAI carbon fiber lid that is $4000 !!!!!! It's ugly as sin and don't know ANYONE that would be in their right mind to buy it? Even though i STILL get rode for paying $2000 nfor my suit and $900 for my lid?!?!?! lol

Offline MilleArp

• TN dreamer
    • DGMR
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 09:51:15 am »
Dreaming of moving to E-TN...

Offline MilleArp

• TN dreamer
    • DGMR
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 09:55:07 am »
And the original unbiased helmet testing report.  I can vouch for this one, I've worked in testing and validation for the last quarter century.

Originally printed in Motorcyclist about 8 yrs ago, but later removed from their archives due to the loss of advertising dolalrs from lid co's:
http://www.westcoastweasels.com/archives/PDF/Blowing_the_Lid_Off.pdf

Dreaming of moving to E-TN...

Offline 2wheeltech

• True Member
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 08:19:01 pm »
Ok so I just stumbled across this.. I looked at every single model of helmet they had listed.. Every helmet they tested were at least 3 years old or more...

I started questioning when the cyber helmets had better ratings then the Arai helmets did.....???

So then I looked at the "news" tab... You realize the last news update they posted was almost 3 years ago?? No shoei rf1100? No shoei xtwelve? No arai corsair V?

It might be I'm un-biased but its extremely outdated info which makes me distrust it.. Maybe they decided they sucked at helmet testing? Lol j/s...

Sent from my Motorola Electrify.. Typos a result of Android swype..

Offline Knoxvillan

• True Member
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 09:18:22 am »
This is all i can say about this....

I understand that everyone is on a budget, but there is no safer helmet than one that is handmade and not batch tested. I can't understand the logic in spending more, over a five year period,  to protect your feet with shoes than to protect your head. I wouldnt play whiffle ball in a $70 dollar helmet and the plastic a whiffle ball is made of is basically the same protection you will get from a cheap helmet. I'm not saying that Arai is the only safe helmet on the market, as there are many good helmets out there, but the fact that Arai helmets are all handmade and never batch tested is a huge influence for me.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:18:45 am by Knoxvillan »

Offline skuuter

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 04:30:21 pm »
After 44 years of riding hundreds of thousands of miles, and wearing nothing but Full Coverage and/or Modulars since 2003, I've gone back to a 3/4, Rigid Flip Shield Open Face Helmet.....yeah, yeah, I know..."BUT"...I own a Gold Wing 1800 Trike, and a Honda 750 Phantom Cruiser now. I prefer the extra visibility, comfort, and lightweight. Open Face, Shielded Helmets are also quieter in my opinion....don't seem to "hold" wind and exhaust noise....oh yeah, my "Helmet of Choice" is the lowly Fulmer AF755 in "Metallic White"...let the "Bashing" begin..... :23
2010 YELLOW HONDA 1800 GOLD WING MOTOR TRIKE IRS, 2009 BLACK HONDA CFR230M MOTARD...RIDIN' EM' DAILY.....