Author Topic: '79 GS 550 BUDGET cafe build  (Read 78954 times)

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
Re: '79 GS 550 BUDGET cafe build
« Reply #270 on: June 04, 2015, 06:17:42 pm »
The last carb adjustment seemed to solve my off throttle issues, on to that pesky bent fork leg.  Front end removed....

Right leg disassembled:

As far as the emulator installation, these two 5/16" holes had to be drilled into the damping rod, and the existing hole enlarged to the same size:

Set up on my press, so I could see how bent the for was:

I took the fork tube to Jon at Cycle Tech, and he straightened it out in about 20 minutes.

Reassembled the fork, and set the fluid to 140mm (15wt oil):

The slide on the scale is set to 150mm, - the 10mm showing on the bottom = 140mm

I also reduced the pre-load spacer from 20mm to 10mm because the front felt a little harsh.  This brought my static sag from 23mm to 37mm.

All back together, again:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:13:17 am by 8Ball »
Quote from: jeff5150
just follow 129 on the map towards nc til it looks like a kid drawing it had a siezure
Quote from: Tomsljr
Know the difference between crack heads and Gap addicts? I have heard of people quitting crack.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy when getting on and off my High Horse!

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #271 on: June 05, 2015, 03:08:01 am »
That's pretty awesome!
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #272 on: June 05, 2015, 05:56:16 am »
:21
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline gotgixers

• Gixxersaurous rider
  • Legendary Member
  • Old Skool GSXR 7/12
« Reply #273 on: June 05, 2015, 09:21:16 am »
yes, you are finishing this old GS off real nice ......
I PITY THE FOOL, THAT DONT RIDE OLDSCHOOL

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #274 on: June 05, 2015, 08:43:32 pm »
Thanks, y'all.

Out playing, today. Carburation is much better, and the suspension is pretty close. I couldn't really throw it into the turns because of my knee, but it doesn't seem to want to do anything weird.

Out playing, today. Carburation is much better, and the suspension is pretty close. I couldn't really throw it into the turns because of my knee. I can't get my left foot back enough to keep the ball of my foot on the peg, and I don't have the strength to hang off in the lefts. But I could push it enough to tell it doesn't seem to want to do anything weird, and the front and rear are working together, like they should.
just follow 129 on the map towards nc til it looks like a kid drawing it had a siezure
Know the difference between crack heads and Gap addicts? I have heard of people quitting crack.

Offline BudLong

• True Member
« Reply #275 on: June 09, 2015, 09:20:10 am »
wow man, that is one clean lookin bike.  hope your leg and strength come back in short order, so you can play harder

:21

Offline gotgixers

• Gixxersaurous rider
  • Legendary Member
  • Old Skool GSXR 7/12
« Reply #276 on: June 10, 2015, 03:06:28 am »
 :21  :21
I PITY THE FOOL, THAT DONT RIDE OLDSCHOOL

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #277 on: September 05, 2015, 08:51:13 pm »
I don't like how far the throttle rotates from closed to WOT, so I played around making a quick turn throttle.

Here's the range of the stock set up:

I cut a piece of 1" PVC Sch 40 pipe:

Sliced a little out and wrapped it around the throttle cam:

...and here's the difference in the range from closed to WOT:

Unfortunately, It works fine with the return cable disconnected, but I need to lengthen the return cable, or trim the cable housing to accommodate the longer throw, so I put it back to stock, for now. I don't like using a single pull throttle on a street bike. When I complete this mod in the future, I will use some adhesive to glue the PVC to the throttle housing.

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #278 on: September 07, 2015, 03:51:48 pm »
OK, so I finished up the throttle mod.

I very carefully cut of about 1/4" off the cable sleeve using a Dremmel with a cut-off wheel:

Then cut a slit down the section of housing. and that created a bunch of ringlets that had to be removed individually...

I left the end sleeve on and slid it down on the new end on the housing:

now the pull cable has plenty of slack and adjustment.

Oh and I also performed the Ichiban Moto upgrade, which should be the best performance modification done, so far!

If you don't know who Ichiban is, search for his channel on YouTube.  Hours of hilarious instructional videos!

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #279 on: September 07, 2015, 07:23:02 pm »
Nice job sir :21
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #280 on: September 08, 2015, 11:36:01 am »
 :happypep     :21
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #281 on: September 10, 2015, 05:10:11 am »
 :21 :21
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.