Author Topic: GoPro HERO 2, LCD Bac Pac, Wall Charger and Wi-Fi Bac Pac  (Read 5183 times)

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
GoPro HERO 2, LCD Bac Pac, Wall Charger and Wi-Fi Bac Pac
« on: June 21, 2012, 04:10:06 pm »
I've always been a fan on the GoPro cameras.  :21   I started out with a standard def camera, which was stolen.  :mad   So I replaced it with the GoPro HD camera. It makes some really good video ( and still pictures too!!! ), however the menu screen is very cryptic. I keep the camera set at 720p/30fps, which on the menu screen shows up as 2.  :groan

I purchased the GoPro HERO 2 this past winter and I like it a lot better! Better resolution, more features and it's easier to use "out of the box". No more cryptic screen menus!  :22

What's changed?!? The HERO 2 has a BURST mode, which allows you to take 10 pictures in 1 second. Video resolution is higher, you can change the field of view and there is super slow motion. Resolution for still pictures is higher..... 11 megapixel, 8 megapixel and 5 megapixel. No more guessing what mode the camera is in, the menu screen is in plain english. The recording lights are on the front, top, back and underneath the camera, so no matter how you have the camera oriented, you can still see if the camera is taking pictures or video. And the time lapse mode has settings for 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30 and 60 seconds. And the LCD screen shows you how many videos or pictures you have taken (depends on what mode you have the camera in), battery life, what mode the camera is in, and how much time is left on the SD memory card ( in video mode ). No more guessing!  :21
The camera uses the same battery as the old camera's, so if you are like me, you can buy several batteries and use them between all of them. And the battery life is well over 2 hours ( life depends on how much you use the camera and how hot or cold it is.... but well over 2hours )  :21

I also bought the LCD Bac Pac for the camera. Price around $80.

It's a neat little item that allows you to review the video or pictures that you shot, without having to hook your GoPro up to a TV. Great for showing your buddies the last video you shot while on the road! It has it own, self contained battery and just plugs into port in the back of the main body of the GoPro, and it won't fall off! It also gets battery power from the main camera once its own battery gets low. It is a battery hog, battery life with the LCD Bac Pac on the camera is less than 2 hours because the LCD is on all the time. However, you can go into the settings on the camera and turn the LCD off, which increases battery life quite a bit!

I went on a trip in April and took the GoPro with me. I thought, I will need to charge it when I get to my destination, so I bought the GoPro wall charger.

It has retractable legs that plug into the wall and 2 USB ports for charging the camera(s). Small and compact, it travels well without taking up too much space.  :21

And just recently, I purchased the Wi-Fi Bac Pac for the GoPro.

Just like the LCD Bac Pac, it plugs into the port on the back of the camera and has its own battery, however it does use the main battery in the camera once its battery gets low. You can either charge it separate from the camera, or mounted on the camera. It comes with a small remote that controls the camera ( up to 50  of them at once! ) that you can strap to your wrist or attach to your handlebars. The remote allows you to turn the camera on and off, change modes and it has a small LCD screen so you can see what mode the camera is in. And it has a range of 600 feet. It also has a built in battery pack that you have to charge separately ( charge cord included ).

I have not had the chance to try the Wi-Fi Bac Pac out yet (not on the bike anyway ), BUT.... it will give me the freedom to mount the camera in places that I can't reach and still be able to get some great shots while on the road! I can't wait to try it out......
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:17:59 pm by MikelJay »
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: GoPro HERO 2, LCD Bac Pac, Wall Charger and Wi-Fi Bac Pac
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 05:24:04 pm »
:21 love the write up. Makes me want to sell my Go-Pro HD for a Hero2. haha I hate the screen menu and like the slow mo mode that you were talking about. That would be pretty cool.

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline magnecraft

• True Member
  • old clapped out street car
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 10:45:06 am »
great write up, thanks.
ETB Rocks! Don't forget this is a member supported site so kick in a few bucks when you can. $$ We want it to live long and prosper.

Offline Darkbluexplorer

• Computer Monkey
  • True Member
  • Work.. this is why I do it!!
Re: Re: GoPro HERO 2, LCD Bac Pac, Wall Charger and Wi-Fi Bac Pac
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 01:37:13 pm »
This makes me want one but at the same time I look at my wallet and cry!

From my mobile command unit attached to my hand.

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
Re: Re: GoPro HERO 2, LCD Bac Pac, Wall Charger and Wi-Fi Bac Pac
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 05:56:08 pm »
This makes me want one but at the same time I look at my wallet and cry!

From my mobile command unit attached to my hand.

You can find the GoPro HD's locally for $200 or less. I know where 2 are sitting, still in the box.
Mike

Offline tnzeder

• True Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 08:05:18 pm »
heard that!!, nice review and I have been wanting the HD2 for awhile, but for now have spent my "alotted" bike bucks on my Corbin custom seat. The GoPro is for sure my next "upgrade", it just perfect for preserving those memories, the pix you get , like the burst and time lapse are just so cool, ,  funny, but that to me is the best feature

Offline SteveHarper

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 06:33:50 am »
I've always been a fan on the GoPro cameras.  :21   I started out with a standard def camera, which was stolen.  :mad   So I replaced it with the GoPro HD camera. It makes some really good video ( and still pictures too!!! ), however the menu screen is very cryptic. I keep the camera set at 720p/30fps, which on the menu screen shows up as 2.  :groan

I purchased the GoPro HERO 2 this past winter and I like it a lot better! Better resolution, more features and it's easier to use "out of the box". No more cryptic screen menus!  :22

What's changed?!? The HERO 2 has a BURST mode, which allows you to take 10 pictures in 1 second. Video resolution is higher, you can change the field of view and there is super slow motion. Resolution for still pictures is higher..... 11 megapixel, 8 megapixel and 5 megapixel. No more guessing what mode the camera is in, the menu screen is in plain english. The recording led light on the front, top, back and underneath the camera, so no matter how you have the camera oriented, you can still see if the camera is taking pictures or video. And the time lapse mode has settings for 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30 and 60 seconds. And the LCD screen shows you how many videos or pictures you have taken (depends on what mode you have the camera in), battery life, what mode the camera is in, and how much time is left on the SD memory card ( in video mode ). No more guessing!  :21
The camera uses the same battery as the old camera's, so if you are like me, you can buy several batteries and use them between all of them. And the battery life is well over 2 hours ( life depends on how much you use the camera and how hot or cold it is.... but well over 2hours )  :21

I also bought the LCD Bac Pac for the camera. Price around $80.

It's a neat little item that allows you to review the video or pictures that you shot, without having to hook your GoPro up to a TV. Great for showing your buddies the last video you shot while on the road! It has it own, self contained battery and just plugs into port in the back of the main body of the GoPro, and it won't fall off! It also gets battery power from the main camera once its own battery gets low. It is a battery hog, battery life with the LCD Bac Pac on the camera is less than 2 hours because the LCD is on all the time. However, you can go into the settings on the camera and turn the LCD off, which increases battery life quite a bit!

I went on a trip in April and took the GoPro with me. I thought, I will need to charge it when I get to my destination, so I bought the GoPro wall charger.

It has retractable legs that plug into the wall and 2 USB ports for charging the camera(s). Small and compact, it travels well without taking up too much space.  :21

And just recently, I purchased the Wi-Fi Bac Pac for the GoPro.

Just like the LCD Bac Pac, it plugs into the port on the back of the camera and has its own battery, however it does use the main battery in the camera once its battery gets low. You can either charge it separate from the camera, or mounted on the camera. It comes with a small remote that controls the camera ( up to 50  of them at once! ) that you can strap to your wrist or attach to your handlebars. The remote allows you to turn the camera on and off, change modes and it has a small LCD screen so you can see what mode the camera is in. And it has a range of 600 feet. It also has a built in battery pack that you have to charge separately ( charge cord included ).

I have not had the chance to try the Wi-Fi Bac Pac out yet (not on the bike anyway ), BUT.... it will give me the freedom to mount the camera in places that I can't reach and still be able to get some great shots while on the road! I can't wait to try it out......

Looks nice very nice indeed.. Can you share short review about the device? If it works well I would love to get it now..
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:39:18 am by SteveHarper »

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 08:16:08 am »
Looks nice very nice indeed.. Can you share short review about the device? If it works well I would love to get it now..

The Wi-Fi BacPac?!? Yes, I have used it quite often, and it performs GREAT!  :21

Here's a picture of me out on Alcoa Highway. The camera was mounted on the trunk of my son's Victory and I took the picture remotely with Wi-Fi Bacpac remote attached to the handlebar on my bike.

Here's one taken with the camera mounted on the side of the fairing on a Victory. I was controlling the GoPro and the Wi-Fi BacPac with the GoPro APP on my smartphone, which allows me to control the camera and to also see what the camera sees, by using the display on my phone. ( You can see the phone in my hand )

The range on the device is quite good, and using the remote, you can control everything about the camera, from the mode ( movie, still picture, burst, etc. ) to changing the resolution from 1080p to 960 to 720, etc. and the remote also displays the battery left, number of pictures taken or videos, what mode the camera is in and you can even turn the camera on and off using the remote.

Like I said before, having the Wi-Fi BacPac has given me more mounting options for the camera. I can operate it even though I can't physically reach it.

Mike

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 10:47:26 am »
Good Job Mike. If I were to get into picture taking on rides  :34  I would consider one.

One thing, do they not ahve a setting less than 5MPixel for picture taking? Christ a mighty,  1.1 MPixel I use makes too big a file.
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 02:28:54 pm »
Good Job Mike. If I were to get into picture taking on rides  :34  I would consider one.

One thing, do they not ahve a setting less than 5MPixel for picture taking? Christ a mighty,  1.1 MPixel I use makes too big a file.

No Paul, they do not. 11megapixel is default, then 8, then 5. I leave mine set on 11Mp because I like to crop the pictures, and I don't take that many pictures anyway. Mostly video, and then I shoot in 720p 30fps at the widest angle.
Mike

Offline SilverZZR

• www.tnmountaintours.com
  • True Member
  • Suzuki FTW!!!
    • Brothers Cabin Staining
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 10:45:29 am »

The reason for the large size is because it has 11 million pixles at 11mp ... this is so you can refine the photo without making it look grainy. If you want the file to be smaller and you dont wana spend big bucks just open it with "paint" on your computer. Every computer has paint ... then find the button that says resize. Change the 100 to a smaller number such as 25 or 10 depending on how small you want it ... then save. Boom you got a high quality photo and it isnt huge anymore.
Dustin
2013 GSX-R1000
ETB Founder

www.tnmountaintours.com

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 09:05:41 am »
I used Windows Live Photo Gallery to edit the picture ...... (taken with the HERO2 with the WI-FI BacPac mounted on the windshield)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:07:19 am by MikelJay »
Mike