Author Topic: GW Final Drive Failures -- Brought up because of Problem on Dan's 30 day trip  (Read 1728 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
One of the guys on Dan's 30 Day Ride is on a Goldwing. They just made it to Canada a couple days ago. Stopped at their destination and noted GW had oil under back wheel.

Got it to a dealer, no parts available in Canada. Part in USA, but will not ship to Canada. Guy rented a car to drive back to Kallispell, MT (250 plus miles) to see if he can pick up part (air shipped to dealer there) and get it back to Canada for fix before the dealer in Canada shuts down for weekend (Sunday and Monday closed).

The other guys went on to tour Braniff Nat; Park in Canada and hope the broke GW will be ready to roll when they get back to where it is. 

TerrE did some research and found this link, somewaht common failure. One thing on the link is availability of used units from Trike Conversions. Sounds like good insurance to have one on hand. 

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?190702-GL1800-Rear-Differential-Problems-Survey
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
You might note that this is an aftermarket failure ( at least from what I was reading ). The 'Wing has been around a LONG time and its reputation for reliability is well known. With an aftermarket unit, like Leaman, Hannigan, Mototrike, etc.... no telling what you are getting. Quality control may be good but how much road testing have they done?!? Failure rate? Reliability? Service interval? Most trike manufacturers have not been around that long.....

Like one guy said......"There have been more than a few rear ends go south. Generally it is close to the 100K mile mark. If you are running out of warranty, and plan on keeping the bike, suggest you get a trike take-off for that day. Cheap insurance."

Just my $.02 on this...... if I was going on a LONG cross country tour, like this guy was, I do believe that I would have had my bike checked over to make sure it was worthy of such a venture. As has found out, there is nothing worse than being broke down, far from home......   :16
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
You might note that this is an aftermarket failure ( at least from what I was reading ). The 'Wing has been around a LONG time and its reputation for reliability is well known. With an aftermarket unit, like Leaman, Hannigan, Mototrike, etc.... no telling what you are getting. Quality control may be good but how much road testing have they done?!? Failure rate? Reliability? Service interval? Most trike manufacturers have not been around that long.....

Hate to correct what seems to be a misunderstanding on your part --- It was an orignal GW (2 wheel) drive that failed. Not a conversion.

Like one guy said......"There have been more than a few rear ends go south. Generally it is close to the 100K mile mark. If you are running out of warranty, and plan on keeping the bike, suggest you get a trike take-off for that day. Cheap insurance."

Confused I am -- here you seem to realize it was a original GW (2 wheel) failure.

Not sure how many spare parts a guy could carry on a trip (mot like the rthings fail every other day, most have been in 50K to 70K to 100K). But, I agree it would be good idea to pick up a used unit taken off a 2 wheel when the 2 wheel was triked.   

Just my $.02 on this...... if I was going on a LONG cross country tour, like this guy was, I do believe that I would have had my bike checked over to make sure it was worthy of such a venture. As has found out, there is nothing worse than being broke down, far from home......   :16

Not likely one would find anything wrong on a checkup unless you took the rear end a part and inpsected it  (the failure occurred some 3000 miles into the trip). Main problem turned out to be -- no part in Canada and US Honda could not ship to Canada Dealer (now that is a mystery).

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Good info. Glad to know

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline MikelJay

• True Member

Hate to correct what seems to be a misunderstanding on your part --- It was an orignal GW (2 wheel) drive that failed. Not a conversion.

Confused I am -- here you seem to realize it was a original GW (2 wheel) failure.

Not sure how many spare parts a guy could carry on a trip (mot like the rthings fail every other day, most have been in 50K to 70K to 100K). But, I agree it would be good idea to pick up a used unit taken off a 2 wheel when the 2 wheel was triked.   

Not likely one would find anything wrong on a checkup unless you took the rear end a part and inpsected it  (the failure occurred some 3000 miles into the trip). Main problem turned out to be -- no part in Canada and US Honda could not ship to Canada Dealer (now that is a mystery).

Sorry... I thought it was a trike.  :groan

However, I do stand by my comment. The drive unit on the 'Wing is serviceable. I am sure there is a service schedule that Honda recommends. I know Yamaha does...... and I follow what they recommend. And I always have the bike checked out before a long trip. Nothing worse than a breakdown far from home.......

You are right, that is quite odd that they wouldn't get a unit to him in Canada. You would figure they would......

Hopefully, the rest of the trip will be uneventful........
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Mike -- I'm a sure hedoes service on his bike and sure he checked things before they left. Not going to find a problem like that until it gets bad or shows up as it did (some 3000 or 4000 after they left). No one would likley take the rear end apart to inspect bearings before leaving. It is not like they fail everday -- most have 75K or 100K (there was one reported with 40K in the Forum I saw). But, it does seeem to be a weak area and for Cadillac of Touring Bikes (GW) -- they should recall and redesign the thing.  O)

Update on John and GW -- they got it fixed. He caught up with the other two rides in Monatanna a day later.

Dan posted this on CRGR FORUM for Day 22 of the 30 day trip. They (Dan and Ron as John had not caught them yet) had a trying Ride over a Pass.  :o  By the way, you can tack day to day on CRGR Forum  http://www.countryroads.org/forum/index.php?wwwRedirect  scroll down to National Park Ride.
More pictures, etc. on Facebook  http://www.facebook.com/C0UNTRYR0ADS  I just find facebook hard to use.  

John is HERE! YEAH! He left Canada this morning at 5:30 AM and rode to Laurel, MT. He got to the hotel about 20 minutes before we arrived after our 400 mile trek which took us over Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Scenic Highway. He is happy with the repairs and indicates the bike is quieter now. 600 miles and no leaks.

We rode from Helena to Laurel, MT. crossing back into Wyoming. We were on I-90 Eastbound and saw the sign "Laurel-25 miles" when we turned South to take the long way....the REAL long way as it added 200 miles to the trip.

Our goal was to ride the Pass and Scenic Highway which I have never ridden before. But before we got there just imagine this; You are riding along and a guy with a ATV flags you down. Ahead on the highway are 100+ head of cattle being herded about 1/2 mile up the road. They are traveling the same direction as we are. 4 or 5 cowboys on their horses and one dog are keeping the critters moving at a slow orderly walk. The guy told me to ride on through them and all would be fine......or if I wanted, scatter them all over so the cowboys would have something to do.  You need to see this to believe it so take a minute to check out the video on the FB page.

Now, on to the Pass. We started upwards after lunch in Red Lodge. We went up to 8,000+ feet before it started getting cooler.  The road was good and interesting as I negotiated switchback after switchback towards a nearly 11,000" elevation. We stopped to bundle up and noticed the wind was picking up. It nearly pushed me over as I stood centered over the bike. As we pulled out, another strong wind caught me and nearly wrecked me again. We proceeded up a 1/4 mile stretch along a short ridge and the wind was awful. Ron estimated gusts were up to 50mph. There was no place to stop so I drove on. At one point, the wind pushed me across the center line in the path of an oncoming car. I fought back for at least a hundred feet before getting the bike back on my side of the road. (Both car and myself were going very slow. Less than 15 mph) Ron reported it was 47 degrees and I noticed it was starting to rain. We put our rain gear on and ran in and out of rain as we crossed the Pass. Ron and I both felt some sleet in the rain.

After crossing the Pass, the wind started to die down much to my relief. We started to dodge small rain showers as we approached Chief Joseph Highway. This road was a very scenic highway that meanders along the mountains. It is more rolling with long sweeping curves as opposed to Beartooth Pass switchbacks.

I was disappointed with both roads probably because many people have told me they are the two best motorcycle roads in the U.S. Yes, they are great roads and fun to ride but definitely not the best in the nation. Beartooth Pass Highway is best as it progresses in elevation from Red Lodge. As you approach the top, everything becomes large grassy fields and the mountains disappear. They show up again just before you start downward but are gone soon after.
Tomorrow we ride 300+ miles and visit Devil's Tower.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:20:22 pm by PAULRIDES »