Author Topic: Front/Rear suspension upgrades on 06 Katana 600  (Read 7168 times)

Offline drag00nlover

• True Member
Front/Rear suspension upgrades on 06 Katana 600
« on: August 23, 2012, 02:07:46 pm »
Have been told a GSXR front end will work as an upgrade on the kat, with minor modifications, my main question is this: What years should i be looking for in regards to the front end setup and also on the rear shock and spring what is the best option for those?

Also in regards to the rear of the bike, does anyone know if the swing arm from the GSXR is interchangeable with the Kat? if so what years should i be looking at?

If anyone could shed some light on this i would greatly appreciate it.

James
06 Gsx600F Katana........Dubbed Kan-o-Tuna.......Now Dubbed Tuna Salad (totalled)

2011 GSXR 600

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
Re: Front/Rear suspension upgrades on 06 Katana 600
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 03:57:12 pm »
might look into the (97-02/3) forks since they are non inverted just like your kat forks. may work with the triples you already have etc... otherwise ill keep looking
81 gl1100....

Offline gotgixers

• Gixxersaurous rider
  • Legendary Member
  • Old Skool GSXR 7/12
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 08:17:56 am »
Well, I will tell you that honestly, you will end up with enough in a good suspension upgrade for your Kan-o-tuna, that you could have put a down payment on a gsxr 600 easy. Even if you graze flea bay for the next year picking up the best deals you can find, you're going to have $600+ into a WORTHWHILE full front and rear upgrade. And thats if you can do all the labor yourself. I'm not saying this to deter you(well maybe a little), but more to let you know what you are really in for as far as $$$ goes. Then if you do go ahead and do this, you still have a Katana at the end of the day. Thats all people will see when you try and sell it down the road. You have to decide if this is what you really want to do. It's only your bike after all, nobody else's....
I PITY THE FOOL, THAT DONT RIDE OLDSCHOOL

Offline gotgixers

• Gixxersaurous rider
  • Legendary Member
  • Old Skool GSXR 7/12
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 08:22:16 am »
If you decide you REALLY want to do this. I can come up with a few swaps that will work, for various amounts of $$ lay out. AND, are you doing all this work yourself?? If so, what is your level of expertise??

Do you have/have access to, a MIG or TIG welder? Any milling equipment? bearing heater? Drills, drill press? can you make various sized spacers??

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
Re: Re: Front/Rear suspension upgrades on 06 Katana 600
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 11:53:30 am »
The front end should be nearly drop in as nearly all Suzuki models use the same stem length (and even diameter) the rear however will take machine work and offset sprockets. A 636 swing arm would probably take less work because they have a more narrow pivot.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 12:21:20 pm »
on the issue of the swinger, the kat swinger bolts right in to a kz650 with a 1mm spacer so it fairs to say whatever swinger will fit the kz will fit the kat in a reasonalbly similar fashion..... now where to go from here.
81 gl1100....

Offline drag00nlover

• True Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 12:45:10 pm »
Well, I will tell you that honestly, you will end up with enough in a good suspension upgrade for your Kan-o-tuna, that you could have put a down payment on a gsxr 600 easy. Even if you graze flea bay for the next year picking up the best deals you can find, you're going to have $600+ into a WORTHWHILE full front and rear upgrade. And thats if you can do all the labor yourself. I'm not saying this to deter you(well maybe a little), but more to let you know what you are really in for as far as $$$ goes. Then if you do go ahead and do this, you still have a Katana at the end of the day. Thats all people will see when you try and sell it down the road. You have to decide if this is what you really want to do. It's only your bike after all, nobody else's....

Kim has already laid claim to the tuna when I upgrade my bike preference, I'm pretty set on doing this swap, down the road it will be a better bike for her when I get a new one.

If you decide you REALLY want to do this. I can come up with a few swaps that will work, for various amounts of $$ lay out. AND, are you doing all this work yourself?? If so, what is your level of expertise??

Do you have/have access to, a MIG or TIG welder? Any milling equipment? bearing heater? Drills, drill press? can you make various sized spacers??

Any ideas you might have feel free to throw them my way so i can get this ball going, I will be doing a lot of this with the help of Jeff and possibly some other members of ETB I'm sure we'll collectively be able to manage this swap. :)

In Regards to the swing arm one of the main concerns with this swap to me is finding a swing arm that will bolt up with some minor customizations, but I will be looking for one that can accommodate some frame slider spools for the protection of the swing arm since the factory swing arm has no place to bolt these on.
06 Gsx600F Katana........Dubbed Kan-o-Tuna.......Now Dubbed Tuna Salad (totalled)

2011 GSXR 600

Offline gotgixers

• Gixxersaurous rider
  • Legendary Member
  • Old Skool GSXR 7/12
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 04:45:16 pm »
Well, your best bet is to find an '89-90 gsxr 750 front end COMPLETE. That is an awesome upgrade without going USD. I have a 93 gsxr 750 arm, i think it will work with a little persuasion(sp?)And will let you run any gsxr 750 wheel 91-95, gsxr 1100 91-98, B-12 96-05. Then you will have upgraded rubber also, 180/120. You would have to work out a correct shock, but that is simple....And can be picked up on flea bay for under 100bux.

Offline alexfleury

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 01:59:23 am »
One swap that I know will work, but I don't know how much of an improvement it is.  The 1100 GSXR tubes are the same diameter and will slide right in your Katana forks.  They are very close to the same length.  You might need the Speedo drive and spacer form the GSXR wheel to get everything centered correctly.

I just installed Katana triple trees on to my GSXR frame.  I used the forks from a 750.  These are shorter and it will lower the bike quite a bit, but that is OK for what I am doing.  I had to use the Katana spacer, and the GSXR speedo drive to get everything centered correctly.  Then I bolted the Katana brakes onto the GSXR forks and everything lined up nicely.  Bless Suzuki's part swapping little hearts  :)

I have a set of 1100 forks if you want to try them to see if everything lines up.

alex

Offline alexfleury

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 02:03:39 am »
Oh I should mention, you can have new valves and proper spring rates installed in your forks for about $300.  This will make a HUGE improvement in your suspension.

OR just buy either Progressive ot Racetech springs and run 30 weight fork oil to increase damping.  You will still get a GREAT improvement!

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 11:07:40 pm »
Oh I should mention, you can have new valves and proper spring rates installed in your forks for about $300.  This will make a HUGE improvement in your suspension.

OR just buy either Progressive ot Racetech springs and run 30 weight fork oil to increase damping.  You will still get a GREAT improvement!

+1   upgrade your current for about the same $$$ and less hassel. 
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline drag00nlover

• True Member
Re: Re: Re: Front/Rear suspension upgrades on 06 Katana 600
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 08:36:42 am »
One swap that I know will work, but I don't know how much of an improvement it is.  The 1100 GSXR tubes are the same diameter and will slide right in your Katana forks.  They are very close to the same length.  You might need the Speedo drive and spacer form the GSXR wheel to get everything centered correctly.

I just installed Katana triple trees on to my GSXR frame.  I used the forks from a 750.  These are shorter and it will lower the bike quite a bit, but that is OK for what I am doing.  I had to use the Katana spacer, and the GSXR speedo drive to get everything centered correctly.  Then I bolted the Katana brakes onto the GSXR forks and everything lined up nicely.  Bless Suzuki's part swapping little hearts  :)

I have a set of 1100 forks if you want to try them to see if everything lines up.

alex

Alex where are you located? This is something i am interested in looking into.

Sent from my Galaxy Command Center

2011 GSXR 600

Offline tnzeder

• True Member
Re: Re: Re: Front/Rear suspension upgrades on 06 Katana 600
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 06:17:44 pm »

That's what I'm having done right now,  Kent at GMD ATL,  is building my forks (zx6) to go on my Z1000, Ohlins rebound and comp valves, 1.0kg  springs and proper oil

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD