Author Topic: 2-up SV questions  (Read 3876 times)

Offline midknight

• cupcake
  • Legendary Member
2-up SV questions
« on: August 27, 2012, 11:39:10 am »
Ok, so after riding two up this past weekend with steph I have some questions and am in need of suggestions.  I know the stock front end of the SV sucks, but I'm hoping to get some help on solutions (beside fork swap - way to much $$ involved for that at the moment). 

With steph on the back of the bike straight line riding and minor corners are fine.  But, when we were going through those nice sweeping 25mph corners at around 40 or 45 I got real nervous - it felt like the front tire was wobbly (I guess that's the best way to explain it) when leaning over.  I'm in search of a ZX10 shock (do you think that should be good enough for me and steph or should I go ZX14?) but am also needing other suggestions for the front end.  Would a fork oil swap and progressive springs help out on this or could it be something different (i.e. other parts, riding style, both, etc.)?

Any help/suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Spike240SX

• LED Lighting Nut
  • True Member
Re: Re: 2-up SV questions
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:49:02 am »
I would experiment with suspension settings first. You have to remember that with her on the bike you are drastically changing weight distribution. You are pulling weight off the front end with a passenger. Increasing the rear pre load while she is riding is where i would start.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline midknight

• cupcake
  • Legendary Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: 2-up SV questions
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 12:04:38 pm »
I would experiment with suspension settings first. You have to remember that with her on the bike you are drastically changing weight distribution. You are pulling weight off the front end with a passenger. Increasing the rear pre load while she is riding is where i would start.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ive got the rear preload close to max (i think its set to 6 clicks out of 7).  I figured it was just the extra weight making the front light through the turn.  Need to get a stiffer shock I guess...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 12:17:36 pm »
You have to remember most bikes are set up for a 180lb rider. Your on the right track. If the zx10 shpck works then the 636 should? If like the 1st gen I know it will. The 636 has a stiffer spring. But be ready as those shocks will on crease your rear height. Also the springs up front will help dramaticlly. With the stock suspension it prob feels like an old caddy diving through the corners. Haha its that way with almost all bikes. A plus to doing those swaps will also increase the handling ability drastically while riding solo as well.

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Switch

Re: 2-up SV questions
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 05:00:26 pm »

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 07:39:25 pm »
+1 switch nailed it. Race tech is great

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline ellis976

• True Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 10:07:05 pm »
i answered in your buy add before i seen this ... but the 06 zx10 is sprung waaaaaay soft .... i couldnt do anything with mine till i changed the spring ... as far as the shock itself it seems ok i guess (hell if i know is what i am trying to say on that) but the spring sucked ... it feels nice once i changed the spring to something closer to for my weight  .... i would check into whatelse would fit instead of getting something that you will just want to spend more money on to make work ,as curt said i am pretty sure my memory is correct that zx6 will fit zx10 so should fit yours if zx10 will fit and is stiffer sprung and if i remember a bit better shock . i would think also be careful to not get it too stiff for when you are riding alone .the bike not moving enough can have the same amount as suck as one moving too much .....  i dont know anything about the sv but is the stock set up so bad that you couldnt just throw a 100 buck spring on it and call it a day?

Offline DragonRider

• True Member
  • Adventures we seek
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 08:59:13 am »
"Clicks" for pre-load? We had an '03 SV650 (standard) and I recall it being a collar-style pre-load. Clicks are usually compression/rebound and I don't recall her SV having those.

For the front I'd recommend either RaceTech or Progressive springs with a little heavier oil.  Never been a fan of the Cut PVC method.

For the rear a slightly stiffer spring should be good, but remember that a shock is a bit different.  If its' designed to work with say, the 180lb rider, putting a stiffer spring on there will rapidly overtax it and wear it out prematurely.  That just means it will become a pogo-stick sooner than a stock setup would and most stock set-ups are good for around 8-12k miles depending on how you ride and how much you carry.

RaceTech will usually be a helpful resource. Tell them what you ride, how much you weigh, how often you ride with a passenger.  Most of all, when they ask your riding ability and traits, be honest!  Trying to fluff up the ego will get you a more aggressive set-up than you will likely ever need and you won't be happy with the results that you could have had.

Offline midknight

• cupcake
  • Legendary Member
Re: Re: Re: 2-up SV questions
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 09:31:47 am »
"Clicks" for pre-load? We had an '03 SV650 (standard) and I recall it being a collar-style pre-load. Clicks are usually compression/rebound and I don't recall her SV having those.

For the front I'd recommend either RaceTech or Progressive springs with a little heavier oil.  Never been a fan of the Cut PVC method.

For the rear a slightly stiffer spring should be good, but remember that a shock is a bit different.  If its' designed to work with say, the 180lb rider, putting a stiffer spring on there will rapidly overtax it and wear it out prematurely.  That just means it will become a pogo-stick sooner than a stock setup would and most stock set-ups are good for around 8-12k miles depending on how you ride and how much you carry.

RaceTech will usually be a helpful resource. Tell them what you ride, how much you weigh, how often you ride with a passenger.  Most of all, when they ask your riding ability and traits, be honest!  Trying to fluff up the ego will get you a more aggressive set-up than you will likely ever need and you won't be happy with the results that you could have had.

Yeah I guess clicks was a poor choice of words - notch would have been better. Im on the 6th notch out of 7 (highest).

Trust me im not gonna fluff up my abilities to anyone! I am no where close to being a knee dragger or a racer and id never tell anyone that I was.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Offline DragonRider

• True Member
  • Adventures we seek
Re: Re: Re: 2-up SV questions
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 09:50:10 am »
Trust me im not gonna fluff up my abilities to anyone! I am no where close to being a knee dragger or a racer and id never tell anyone that I was.

ROFL! No worries here.  I got passed Sunday by BrownEyedGirl on the Foothills parkway. She was on her Ninja 250... Me? Ducati 848 Corse!   :groan

Offline 2wheeltech

• True Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 10:52:23 am »
On race techs website they have a spring calculator that tells u the stock rate and the recommended rate.. Then you can get the springs from the dealer of your choice.. Seals fluids etc.. U don't have to get it from race tech and wait a week for it to come across the country from cali.. And you will be supporting a local business.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify.. Typos a result of Android swype..

Offline Fubar865

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 06:41:10 pm »
For future reference go to svracingparts.com for anything you need
Anything that is not about elephants, is irrelephant!
Sponsored Rider for lionheartmoto.com

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 08:32:32 pm »
Thicker fork oil isnt always needed..  Depends on the stock or after market valving in the forks and if there adjustable for reb/comp,

I highly suggest unless your both very hefty not going over 1.o kg springs in the forks.  .90 or .95 should be plenty stiff. 

Rear, Alot of times you can get away with a sinple respring for under $100 DIY. 

Whats the stock spring rates for the SV and yours and your passengers weights.
I put a 18kg on the rear of my 929. on notch 2 its fine solo, Good 2up but a tad soft, Not worth the trouble of adjusting, Front forks are unknown or stock and I have them almost as tight as they get.

My VFR is 1.0kg fronts, Stock Oil, Adlusters backed all the way off, I put 1/2" of preload on the spring when I put them together, The PVC spacer methed works just fine.
VFR rear is a 21kg spring on a F4i shock w/ revalved comp/reb, Stock for this was a 16kg spring.
Me 220lbs
psngr up to 160lbs
+Hard luggage
VFR w/ luggage = 600lbs + rider - 220 + psngr - 160 === 980 lbs

Not knowing the specifics of your SV I post these #'s to help in your choices..
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline RayMan

• Squirrel
  • True Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 08:08:32 pm »
Reviving an old topic here, but I have similar questions as I'm looking to upgrade my SV this summer as well. For the front I'm looking into stiffer springs and heavier fork oil, but for the rear not sure what to do. My girlfriend is going to start riding with me this year so I'm worried about the rear shock not being able to handle it, not sure if I should replace it with something like a 636 shock or a zx10 ect...

If I just had the rear shock re-sprung, can I use a stiffer spring, and would that increase handling and making riding 2-up more viable? I am really a noob when it comes to suspension...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:39:36 pm by RayMan »

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 08:13:52 pm »
636 if it will fit will work just fine.
I run one on my z. Real stiff
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 09:45:28 pm »
A stiffer spring will help alot IF u cant get enough adjustment from the stock one.  The ussue with a stiffer spring only is you may run into issues with rebound and danpening.

Same for the front.

Easy rear option is find a shock that is stiffer from the factory, usually a heavier bike.

stiffer front springs will usually need new valving for reb/damp or thicker fork oil.

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 02:18:17 pm »
My nephew ran the stock rear on his. But, he had a GSXR front end. And, his girl might weigh 100lbs soaked. Then again my wife and I rode it a few times with no trouble and we are heavier than they are.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 02:10:58 pm »
Midnight, I may be off base here, but what kind of air pressure are you running? How much front and rear?!?

I know when I ride 2up, I raise the tire pressure a bit.....
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline midknight

• cupcake
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 02:40:26 pm »
I run 32 front and rear when by myself then if stephs on the back I try to bump it up to around 36.  Pretty sure suzuki reccomends 36 either way for my bike.  Front just feels extremely light on the corners with her on the back.  Gonna see if I can change our riding posture next time we ride together to see if we can get a little more weight on the front.

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 05:26:45 pm »
have her sit/lean forward with you.  Look over inside shoulder when entering a corner.  toes on pegs and dont brace with her inside leg leaving it flexible if you lean off n bump her knee with your butt.

also if she wants lean on the tank with one hand. outside curve hand..

And as they say for you..  Nuts-to-tank..

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline midknight

• cupcake
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 11:31:07 am »
have her sit/lean forward with you.  Look over inside shoulder when entering a corner.  toes on pegs and dont brace with her inside leg leaving it flexible if you lean off n bump her knee with your butt.

also if she wants lean on the tank with one hand. outside curve hand..

And as they say for you..  Nuts-to-tank..

Thanks for the advice, I'll make some adjustments next time she's on the back