Author Topic: Darkside -Car Tire on MC Rear Tire (Upodate - NEXXEN @ 20700 & Federal at 5600)  (Read 4406 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
A friend complaining about mileage on last Dunlop on his Harley (Electro Glide, I think - So many Harley models I am not sure what his is -- Ultra, Street Glide or what, but it is the bigger bagger, etc.).

As you know, I am darksided on the Burgman 650 Scooter - See REPLY BELOW and PICTURES WITH THE REPLY. (14,153 miles worth, and tire looks OK for another 5000 or so, maybe more if I rode it as slick as I do my MC Tires).

Compare that to 7000 miles on the Bridgstone Scooter tire that costs $100 Vs the CT that costs $75.  A lot of folks run CT on MCs (EXAMPLE - Smokin Joe on his Valkys)

Anyway, his situation caused me to take a look at web sites (search) to see if anyone is using CT on Harley's. I ran into this site http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/  

Passing on information for anyone interested.

BY THE WAY -- I am not trying to start an argument one way or the other -- We all know the MC Experts say "do not do it", some say 'insurance will be affected' , etc. etc.  I am happy doing it (Not a knee dragger at 60 degree angles, but I ride). Seems OK to me. Smokin Joe obviously rides and is happy with it.

Darksiding (Car Tire) Web Site -- I just found the link to this site on the Harley Site.  

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/

Apparently, this pertains to Harley Darkside (Note info on Speedo Healer in one of the replies  - never heard of that before)

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/f20-harley-davidson

EXAMPLE:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

2010 Ultra classic
justbike on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:45 am

Have about 3000 miles on the Bridgestone Blizzak Run Flat, love it. The bike is much smoother, handles much better in all conditions especially on gravel and slow driving. No wobbles at any speed. Running 35lbs in it. The only thing with this 195/55r16 is the speedo is out a great deal so I ordered a Michelin Primacy Alpin ZP 205/55r16 going to mount that up, and see how it works. One thing for sure will never ride on a bike tire again on this bike.

justbike
Number of posts: 31
Registration date: 2011-10-10

Re: 2010 Ultra classic
jedishon on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:13 pm

Let us know how the new tire fits.

My speedo was off close to 10% and easy to figure out but I got lazy and put a speedo-healer on it. Always dead on now.

Jerry

jedishon
Super User
Number of posts: 4406
Registration date: 2007-12-18

Speedo
justbike on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:55 pm

Quote from: justbike
Have about 3000 miles on the Bridgestone Blizzak Run Flat, love it. The bike is much smoother, handles much better in all conditions especially on gravel and slow driving. No wobbles at any speed. Running 35lbs in it. The only thing with this 195/55r16 is the speedo is out a great deal so I ordered a Michelin Primacy Alpin ZP 205/55r16 going to mount that up, and see how it works. One thing for sure will never ride on a bike tire again on this bike

I was looking at one of those speedo healers, so they do work good. As you say you can calculate the difference but it is annoying and putting a lot more miles on the bike than is actual.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:44:05 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Re: Darkside - Car Tire on MC Rear Tire (Pictures in Reply for My Scooter)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 05:26:45 pm »
My Experience on Burgman 650 Scooter with Nexxen Car Tire ($75 plus installation) on the rear for 14,153 miles. Bridgestone MC Tires ($100 plus installation) only averaged me about 7000 miles. I am satisfied with the handling -- it feels a bit different at first (like transition from upright to lean). That becomes negligible  after some time of use. I would say I ride as hard as before -- call it moderate aggressive as I am not a 60 degree lean angle guy. SAFE -- MC EXPERTS say don't do it. I feel safe, safer than running some miels on a half slick MC tire.  ::)

ONE THING I want to add --- (not sure it applies to all bikes and all tires) -- Most claim some problems seating the bead. Some resort to extreme pressure (Up to 100 lbs per inch I have heard, I think that is a bad idea as might be overstresing the tire and rim).  

I do not remeber what Curt had for pressure (seems once he had it on, that he might have measured something as high as 70 lb per inch).

MY ADVICE from what some say  -- Use lots of lubricant (As Curt did) and BE PATIENT. I would try staying below 50 lb per inch and let it set a few hours to see if it will seat. Pump it up a bit more if that does not work and eait again.

Another thing that may help is set the tire in the sun a couple hours to heat it up.

I am no expert on it -- just relaying some info I have seen on various sites.  I would advise keeping an eye on pressure as you try to seat it.  I don't think it is a good idea to overstress the tire or rim with 100 lb per inch.

Curt thought mine went on pretty easily, but it did take a bit of time to seat in (tire looked distorted before it did).  

I was trying to plug a nail hole in the rear Car Tire on my Scooter (took 3 plug attempts before I got one that did not leak).  I decided to take picture of the Car Tire to compare to pictures I took when it was new and when I ahd 200 miles on it.  

The first picture shows New Car Tire beside a MC Tire that was used.

Then pictures mounted on Scooter at 200 mile of use.

Then latest two pictures I took today after putting in the third plug. (14,153 miles of use) Start with the  Michelin Man Tire Gauge Tool and the next picture.

NOTE -- The edges are more rounded than when new. ALSO, note not getting close to the tread edge on leans (black on edge tread is unused portion --- shows where the lean is).

The remaining pictures are from yesterday after the second patch (plug shows on picture) that was still leaking. Patch is on right side a inch from edge and at top of the pictures.

Hard to see the wear indicators on any of the pictures -- A guess is they are 1/32 or more down from tread.

I would say -- if I ran this tire as slick as I did the MC Tires (Bridgestone that I had to push riding near slick to get average of 7000 miles on). I would see another 5000 or 7000 on this car tire if I ran it that slick.

Barely worth spending any money to fix it (repair from inside) as new tire is around $75. But, If I can plug it myself, and watch it -- I may ride it another 3000 or 5000. DUMB MAYBE  

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:08:58 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Love the report. Moved it here to the Member reviews section. Figured it would fit in a bit better here. :n21
Wonder if There is a size that would fit my cruiser?

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Love the report. Moved it here to the Member reviews section. Figured it would fit in a bit better here. :n21
Wonder if There is a size that would fit my cruiser?

Probaby not an exact fit. So, have to watch clearence issues.

The NEXXEN I am using is 160 65R 14 and MC Tire is 160 60R 14. The size difference brought my Speedometer within 6% vs nearly 10% with the MC tire. (compared to GPS speed reading). Oddometer reaoding seems toa gree within 1% of the GPS on a trip.  ???

Some guys were using 165 65R 14 which brings speedometer even closer, but have a problem with rubbing the fender when hitting bumps, riding double, etc. (fender is bottom of storage comparment under the seat on 650 Burgman).

A guy on BurgmanUSA Web Site (Forum)  http://www.burgmanusa.com/   found this NEXXEN and was using it with no rubbing. So, I searched locally at NEXXEN Dealers (None had it), looked on NEXXEN Web Site (Not listed). BY THE WAY -- a lot of info on that site, but of course for Darksiding the Burgman. 

Tireeasy.com (where the guy got his) had them. Ordered it -- Shipping boost the price I think by $10 or $15 to like around $75.

Curt installed a long time ago as I have cut back riding the Scooter (mostly longer rides for comfort) and use the NINJA 500 for local fun rides (even doing 200 mile day trips on it is not bad).   

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
I havent tried it yet but heres a site i found from the darksiding forum on delphi.it has a database of what people are running on different bikes.lists sizes,brands,pressures and what pressures the tire seated at.   http:  //darkside.nwff.info/
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
I'll be putting a 205/70R15 Michelin Hydroedge on mine when the Pirelli wears out.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
I'll be putting a 205/70R15 Michelin Hydroedge on mine when the Pirelli wears out.

Interested to get a report of results when you do, some miles after you do -- Take pictures.  ;D

Most Darksiders say  --  Handles a bit different, sartisfied with handling, would not go back to MC Tire.

My Opinion -- I think depends on Riding Style (Not for the Knee Draggers on Here), but fine for any average Cruiser Rider.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
There are a LOT of riders on VTXOA . com that say it greatly improved acceleration/deceleration as well as braking. And with the right tire at the right pressure they turn very well also. They are claiming 25k or better also. The majority run either the Michelin Hydroedge or Goodyear's Triple Tread. 
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
There are a LOT of riders on VTXOA . com that say it greatly improved acceleration/deceleration as well as braking. And with the right tire at the right pressure they turn very well also. They are claiming 25k or better also. The majority run either the Michelin Hydroedge or Goodyear's Triple Tread. 

ONE THING (not sure it applies to your bike and that tire)  -- Most claim some problems seating the bead. Some resort to extreme pressure (Up to 100 lbs per inch I have heard, I think that is a bad idea as might be overstresing the tire and rim). 

I do not remeber what Curt had for pressure (seems once he had it on, that he might have measured something as high as 70 lb per inch).

MY ADVICE from what some say  -- Use lots of lubricant (As Curt did) and BE PATIENT. I would try staying below 50 lb per inch and let it set a few hours to see if it will seat. Pump it up a bit more if that does not work and eait again.

Another thing that may help is set the tire in the sun a couple hours to heat it up.

I am no expert on it -- just relaying some info I have seen on various sites.  I would advise keeping an eye on pressure as you try to seat it.  I don't think it is a good idea to overstress the tire or rim with 100 lb per inch.

Curt thought mine went on pretty easily, but it did take a bit of time to seat in (tire looked distorted before it did). 

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
I can easily see how it would greatly improve acceleration and braking with a greater area of contact patch on the road. 

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
I ran that NEXXEN 20700 miles (had maybe 3000 to 4000 left, but got nervous about the plug I put in at 14000 and decided to change the tire). Might add it never did leak any (used a mushroom type plug installed from outside like on the bike and on the rim with some sealer on the plug). It took me three times to get the thing to hold air (partly due to my own screw ups). THEY DO NOT RECOMMEND RIDING ON THOSE PLUGS - just to get to someplace to fix it right (new tire or plug from inside).

To tell the truth -- I thought I updated this topic when I switched tires  ???  Guess not. I went to a Federal 155 x 65 Car Tire vs the 165x60 Nexxen Car Tire which are both different that the stock tire on the 650 Burgman Scoooter (160x60).

I realized I had 5600 miles on the new Car Tire and took a picture. Not that it shows a lot, but here it is for the record.

REVIEW History:

NEXXEN at 200 miles.
NEXXEN at 14153 miles (when I plugged it).
NEXXEN at 20700 miles (when I replaced it) & siting next to the new Federal Tire (before Curt installed it).
NEXXEN at 20700 miles (different view).

Federal after 5600 miles. Note the line (wear or dark colored edge), I think shows the lean line.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:47:45 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
:n21 glad they are working out as well as they are for you. :n21

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400