Author Topic: Another Z1000 build  (Read 4062 times)

Offline duh09

Another Z1000 build
« on: October 24, 2012, 05:37:58 pm »
Figured I'd start a little build thread to track progress on my 2003 Z1000.

I traded for the bike Sept 5th of this year and drove it 4 hours home in the pouring rain only to lay it over 2 miles from my house due to a crappy aftermarket headlight, pouring rain, fogged up visor, and one BIG tree laid over a blind hill. I wasn't going too fast so damage wasn't that awful. Scuffed up tank, bent radiator, hole in the stator cover, and a broken brake lever from where it hit the tree. Also busted up that bad headlight, no loss there. Little war wound on my elbow, but I pulled it out of the limbs and got a ride home and started ordering parts. Put a brand spanking new radiator on, a few LEDs to help with nighttime visibility and a Trailtech headlight along with the other broken pieces and had it done a couple weeks later. Along the way, I made my way to this site and found blkz1k, the previous owner of the bike who filled me on everything that's been done to it.

Just off the top of me head the bike has a Power Commander, custom map, deleted airbox, deleted secondaries, UNI airpods, Scorpion midpipe and mufflers, Corbin seat, etc etc

When I bought it:

The damage:

And all cleaned up and repaired:

Been riding it nearly every day since then but my fantastic luck with the bike didn't end after my first spill. A week or so ago, I managed to get rearended by someone and they took off. Luckily he didn't hit hard enough to cause any major damage or really even knock me over, but the adrenaline got to pumping, I gave chase and managed to get him pulled over long enough to take a picture of his tag before he took off again. Damage report this time was a lot better off, one crushed muffler. Few chips on the passenger foot peg but overall, I'm glad I didn't get injured and with the tag number, I'm sure they'll find the guy soon. I've already got some new mufflers lined up once I get the money together and she'll be back to being sexy. Except for that whole rough spot on the tank but that's what this thread it for.

My plans for the bike are pretty basic. I'm very happy with the power output of this bike and it is more than plenty to keep me happy for a long time. At the moment, I'm not quite sure which color scheme I will be going with for the bike, but once Christmas break rolls around, it will be tore down and repainted with a lot of little pieces being powdercoated and hopefully a clean set of ZX14 wheels will be making their way on the Z. I'm planning on replacing the headlight with something a little more noticeable- perhaps stock if I can find a setup cheap enough or I may keep the aftermarket lights rolling and pick up a LSL urban headlight. Updates to come slowly and surely, but I'm sure I'll be uploading pictures to show off every so often!  :21

Offline tnzeder

• True Member
Re: Another Z1000 build
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 06:22:34 pm »
Glad to have you here, Duh09,  I'm the other Blk Z '03  on the forum, I still got my stock forks and front calipers layin around, both in great condition forks have not been involved in any unfortunate events, also have my stock front master cyl., not sure if you are gonna change any of that on your bike but if you ever need my parts let me know and we can work something out, otherwise i'm gonna hang on to em in case (lord forbid) any of us needs them. I am in just about done with my upgrades, all that's left is having my forks resprung/rebuilt and shock revalved, both are 03 636 ..  Cool headlights you got there :21
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:38:25 pm by tnzeder »

Offline duh09

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 06:58:33 pm »
The trailtech light as REALLY grown on me. It gives it a really "forward" look it that makes sense. I'm considering doing a 636 swap but I'm not sure yet. I need to be able to push it as far as I can with what it's got before I feel like I need to upgrade. To be honest, this is my first street bike. I've had high HP cars, ATVs, dirtbikes, so it wasn't all new but I've learned a lot in my 3000 miles since I bought it and learning everyday. Love this thing haha

Offline duh09

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 02:16:00 pm »
Drove all the way to Sevierville yesterday to meet Curtie223 and jack the mufflers off his Z and throw them on mine to replace the damaged ones from where I got rearended back in October. Took us about twice as long to get back home as it should have but finally got up and swapped them out and took it for a spin down the road. Thanks again Curt for hooking me up with everything! Can't tell you how much I appreciate everything.  :21

Here's the almighty pics, excuse how dirty the bike is. I share a shop with my dad and he's a carpenter so everything tends to get covered in dust in nanoseconds after entering. Once my tires come in and get mounted, the Z will be getting detailed top to bottom for winter riding.

New cans waiting to go on:

The damage:

Comparison of old vs new:

After:

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 05:07:43 pm »
LOOKING GOOD!!!!!
81 gl1100....

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 06:30:45 pm »
:21

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline duh09

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 07:13:25 pm »
Took a ride today and snapped a few pics with the new pipes on. I love this bike. Might have some more later tonight.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 08:10:47 pm »
 :21 Lookin good!
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: Re: Another Z1000 build
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 07:02:24 pm »
How do you like the sound of those cans? I think they are a tad bit smoother and deeper that the other ones

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Re: Re: Another Z1000 build
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 09:28:40 am »
Looks cleaner with them. Like it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Offline duh09

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 10:32:05 am »
I love these cans. It's not a real big difference, but yeah, they're a little bit smoother sounding and they look great. I might try polishing them up whenever I get some extra time.... Or I might just go ride when I have extra time haha  ;D

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 07:28:29 pm »
if i remember they are the Ti cans right??? i wouldnt really polish them, just a good cleaning
81 gl1100....

Offline duh09

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 10:09:24 pm »
if i remember they are the Ti cans right??? i wouldnt really polish them, just a good cleaning

Well if you look closely in the pics you can see my issue. There are little almost shiney spots from where the hangers were on Curtie's bike. I wasn't planning on a full polish, but just enough to even the tone of the pipes out.

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 10:27:23 pm »
Well if you look closely in the pics you can see my issue. There are little almost shiney spots from where the hangers were on Curtie's bike. I wasn't planning on a full polish, but just enough to even the tone of the pipes out.

Polishing won't even out the tone.....If the tone is uneven, you have to balance the baffles. :31

:23
Quote from: jeff5150
just follow 129 on the map towards nc til it looks like a kid drawing it had a siezure
Quote from: Tomsljr
Know the difference between crack heads and Gap addicts? I have heard of people quitting crack.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy when getting on and off my High Horse!

Offline drag00nlover

• True Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 11:13:55 pm »
 :lol :23 :23 :23
06 Gsx600F Katana........Dubbed Kan-o-Tuna.......Now Dubbed Tuna Salad (totalled)

2011 GSXR 600

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 04:04:03 am »
 :34
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.