Author Topic: Safety -- Motion Induced Blindness (I call it Locked / Fixed Vision)  (Read 1878 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
bob Slattery sent me this - I copied it here.  ;D

Click for Demo.

http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html

This is frightening! It works exactly like it says, and is one major reason people in cars can look right at you (when you're on a motorcycle or bicycle)---AND NOT SEE YOU. From a former Naval Aviator.                    

Paul adds:  Scanning is taught in Motorcycle Safety Courses as I remember they said do not lock vision more than a second or two on one thing. This may demonstrate WHY? I also remember discussion about accidents happen from things at angles of 20 or 30 degrees from your right or left (so include that area in your scan). Paul

This is a great illustration of what we were taught about scanning outside the cockpit when I went through training back in the '50s. We were told to scan the horizon for a short distance, stop momentarily, and repeat the process. I can remember being told why this was the most effective technique to locate other aircraft. It was emphasized (repeatedly) to NOT fix your gaze for more than a couple of seconds on any single object. The instructors, some of whom were WWII veterans with years of experience, instructed us to continually "keep our eyes moving and our head on a swivel" because this was the best way to survive, not only in combat, but from peacetime hazards (like a midair collision) as well. We basically had to take the advice on faith (until we could experience for ourselves) because the technology to demonstrate it didn't exist at that time.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:04:39 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Brutus Buckeye

• True Member
Re: Safety -- Motion Induced Blindness (I call it Locked / Fixed Vision)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 08:05:34 pm »
Excellent demonstration Paul and great advice.
2005 Yamaha V Star Classic 1100

Offline tnzeder

• True Member
Re: Re: Safety -- Motion Induced Blindness (I call it Locked / Fixed Vision)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 08:29:11 pm »
This happened to me, the other day, lady was making eye contact with me, then pulled right out in front of me like I want there. Thanks for posting!  I showed my 18yo stepdaughter the demo, and my wife too :o

Sent from Cygnus X-1

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 08:31:49 pm »
That's pretty much what I have done for the better part of my life when driving. My grandfather told me when I was 11 and started wanting to race go karts to always have a way out for when something went wrong. He told me that when I was 15 and every time we get in a vehicle up to date. I think everyone getting there dl  should go threw a course first that puts a lot of emphasis on this. I guess this is why I can tell you what color cars around d me at all times where cops are sitting 1500 feet and beyond. I'm always looking for the problem is how I am going to say it. Always expect someone pulling out or coming in on you or getting too close because there too damn busy with there phone to give two shits about you.
Great post man

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Offline emd513

• Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 08:33:18 pm »
Oh by the way. The dots never disappeared. I had to stop looking at the video and read everything before I figured out what I was suppose to see
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
[/quote]

Offline tnzeder

• True Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 08:46:38 pm »
Well good for you Donald, you have developed that moving eye habit probly from riding too, sometimes my neck hurts from riding cause I got it on a swivel constantly

Sent from Cygnus X-1

Offline emd513

• Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 07:54:29 am »
Yeah. I love riding and driving but my neck and eyes get tired after so long. Hate long trips because of it.

03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
[/quote]

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 01:37:32 pm »
what dots...... lmao!!! j/k
81 gl1100....

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 07:13:44 pm »
what dots...... lmao!!! j/k

I am a thinkin' -- you might need an eye check and best not to ride until you get fixed.  :34
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 07:44:43 pm »
Awesome post paul :21

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you