Author Topic: GoPro Wi-Fi Bac Pac Update  (Read 1485 times)

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
GoPro Wi-Fi Bac Pac Update
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:41:37 am »
I wrote a review of the GoPro Wi-Fi Bac Pac some time back and I thought I'd give you an update on its performance so far...

I've used the camera several times with the Wi-Fi Bac Pac installed and it works very well. I generally mount the camera to the side of my helmet with the suction cup mount. This gives me the ability to point the camera where I want it, but it does make it difficult to get to the shutter button at times, as you have to release the throttle if the camera is mounted on the right side. The Wi-fi Bac Pac solves that by allowing you to mount the remote to either your wrist, handlebar or if you use the included D-ring, you can mount to the zipper on your jacket. I chose to mount it on the left handlebar. Mounted there, I can still control the speed of the bike and still operate the camera with the remote.

As you can see in the picture, the display on the remote shows you exactly what mode the camera is in, battery life, number of pictures or videos taken and how much time you have left to record video. If it was set to take pictures, it would show how many pictures was taken and how many pictures are left of the memory card.In this picture, I have the camera set up to take video......

You can control the cameras settings, change resolution (1080p, 960, 720, etc.... ), change modes ( video, a single picture, a 10 second burst, etc.... ) and turn the camera on or off with the remote. This gives you many mounting possibilities and you can control the camera no matter where it is mounted. And did I mention before that you can control up to 50 cameras at a time?!? The remote has a range of 600 feet, so you can mount the camera on your buddy's bike and get some different points of view when shooting video or still pictures.

Another neat thing GoPro just introduced, you can upgrade the software in the camera and Wi-Fi Bac Pac to allow you control them with your smartphone or tablet. They have an app you can download from either the GOOGLE Play or APPLE Store that allows you to see what your camera is seeing, start, stop, change modes and turn the camera on and off remotely using Wi-Fi. I just downloaded the app to my Android smartphone yesterday and I have been playing with it to see what it is capable of. From what I've read about it, it works with the HERO HD and HERO2 cameras, but some of the functions are disabled with the HERO HD.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:45:25 am by MikelJay »
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
Re: GoPro Wi-Fi Bac Pac Update
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 02:34:41 pm »
Just a few pictures taken with the Wi-Fi BacPac mounted on the camera......

This was taken with the camera mounted on the trunk of my son's Victory, and with the remote attached to my handlebar controlling the camera

and with the camera mounted on the fairing, controlling the camera via Wi-Fi with the GoPro APP on my smartphone
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline DragonRider

• True Member
  • Adventures we seek
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 04:49:21 pm »
Nice write-up. I love the idea of the GoPro and have the original. It drives me nuts that I can't tell if it's on or not without looking in the mirror on the bike and no idea if it dies/turns off, etc.  This is a much better system!

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 08:36:28 pm »
Nice write-up. I love the idea of the GoPro and have the original. It drives me nuts that I can't tell if it's on or not without looking in the mirror on the bike and no idea if it dies/turns off, etc.  This is a much better system!

I have the same issue.   :34
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.