Author Topic: 83 750 nighthawk charging system  (Read 2205 times)

Offline moonshiner

• True Member
  • 76 goldwing , 82 750 spectre,83 nighthawk
83 750 nighthawk charging system
« on: March 03, 2011, 12:32:22 am »
i was cleaning and checking all of my electrical connections on the nighthawk not for any problem i just do that regularly on these bikes but had never done it on this one ,  i found the red wire from the stator almost worn into and the black wire terminal inside the plug rotted into , so i did what i usually do, i cut the plug off soldiered the wires and heatshrinked them , i checked the voltage at 1500 rpm's it is putting out 11.75 volts at 4000 rpm's it is putting out 12.25 volts , almost every bike i have had put out 13 to 13.25 volts at 4000 rpm's , it dose keep the battery charged but i think the stator is weak cause that's a common problem with these bikes ,what do you think ..? stator or the rectifier/ regulator ?
i miss the good ole days , back when i was the only lunatic on the road ..

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
Re: 83 750 nighthawk charging system
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 04:18:21 pm »
Regulator.....

My Roadstar developed a problem with the charging system, low voltage. Stator checked out fine however the regulator was toast. Replaced it and the voltage came right back up where it should be.
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 08:11:49 pm »
Put the battery on a charger for a while, and rerun the test with a fully charged battery.  Those voltages do sound low, but you need to see what they are with a fully charged batt. 

If it is still low, it may be a high resistance connection in your soldering.  Check that first.
Quote from: jeff5150
just follow 129 on the map towards nc til it looks like a kid drawing it had a siezure
Quote from: Tomsljr
Know the difference between crack heads and Gap addicts? I have heard of people quitting crack.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy when getting on and off my High Horse!

Offline moonshiner

• True Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 01:31:00 am »
i had just put a new fully charged agm battery on it when i tested the voltage  , i will check my connections again before i order a stator and a rectifier from Dennis Kirk. 

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:18:52 am »
If you can find the specs, you can check the resistance on the stator and rec. so your not replacing a bunch of parts. JMO

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:46:09 am »
Heres a quick way to check the stator
Start the engine and bring it up to normal operating temperature. Shut the engine off and remove the left-hand side cover by gently pulling it out of the rubber hold-down grommets.
Disconnect the alternator electrical connector located under the left-hand side cover. The connector can be identified by a single five-wire connector with three yellow, one black and one white wire.
Check for continuity with a digital multimeter between each yellow terminal leading to the alternator. Place one probe of the multimeter to one yellow wire and place the other lead on any of the two remaining wires. The specified resistance between each of the yellow wires is about 0.41 to 0.51 ohms. Replace the stator if any reading between the yellow wires shows no continuity. No continuity indicates a broken winding inside the stator.
Check for continuity between all five wire terminals to ground. Place one lead of the multimeter to a frame ground and place the other lead to each of the five wires in turn. Replace the stator if any of the terminals show continuity to ground. Continuity to ground indicates a shorted wire within the stator.

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 04:37:16 pm »
One wire (the DC-) will show a ground. This should be the black wire.  The white wire (might actually be red) will be the DC+.  The yellow wires should not show continuity to ground.
just follow 129 on the map towards nc til it looks like a kid drawing it had a siezure
Know the difference between crack heads and Gap addicts? I have heard of people quitting crack.

Offline moonshiner

• True Member
{UPDATE} Re: 83 750 nighthawk charging system
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 10:47:49 pm »
OK  i got my regulator and manual fri , i ordered the regulator because there is no known way to check it , i checked the brushes , they have plenty of wear left on them , tested the stator , the readings were 1.5 ,1.2 and 1.1 , no shorts so that was good , i tested the rotor it read 5.0 which i was told that's what it is supposed to read , anything less than 5.0 and it is bad , now to the regulator , i installed the " ricks " regulator and presto , i now have 12.75 volts at 2000 rpms , 13.25 at 3000 rpms and a whopping 14.50 at 5000 rpms  , 14.50 is what it tops out at cause i twisted it up to about 7000 rpms and the voltage stayed at 14.50 , i didn't want to rev it any father than that without a load on the motor , so i think that's fixed ..

thanks  all :36

keith  
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:29:05 pm by moonshiner »

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 09:49:58 am »
14.5 V is correct.  The rectifier is also a regulator and it should cap the voltage at 14.5 volts.

:21