Author Topic: Speedmetal HID kit Question.  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
Speedmetal HID kit Question.
« on: January 10, 2013, 07:44:38 pm »
So I got a speedmetal H4 HID kit from cycle gear for Christmas. And, the harness on it is like 6-8". The ballast can't go in the bucket. And, I sure as hell am not going to put it ON the bucket. So my question is would it be a bad idea to extend the wires? It is a Hi-Lo bulb too.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Spike240SX

• LED Lighting Nut
  • True Member
Re: Re: Speedmetal HID kit Question.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 08:00:50 pm »
I wouldnt extend them. Your dealing with 20,000+ volts. Cruisers are very hard to do HID conversions on.

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
Re: Speedmetal HID kit Question.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 10:51:32 am »
check with the company its self.... most offer extended harnesses for a small charge. i always use DDM Tuning for HID kits and they offer them for all their kits.
81 gl1100....

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 11:43:04 am »
I thought of that actually. In fact I called cyclegear already. Of course they didn't know anything except they didn't carry it. And, like I said it was a gift. A gift I was excited about...but a gift all the same.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 11:55:18 am »
depending on the harness plugs, the DDM extensions may work with it... not sure though...
81 gl1100....

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 12:03:14 pm »
The ddm tunning wires shold work. Personally I had the same problem on the Z. I know its not the best idea to extend them but that's what I done on major Z and had the ballast under the pilot seat.

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 12:20:22 pm »
Since it's a hi-lo it has a big plug with 2 big wires. And, a small plug with small wires.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 01:40:16 pm »
So I took the speedmetal POS kit back and ordered the DDM kit...hopefully it won't be a huge hassle.  :34

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 03:35:25 pm »
DDM kits are great. i added the very nice small mounting brackets for the ballasts when i ordered the ones for the bastard...
81 gl1100....

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 04:19:24 pm »
I kept thinking why is it my DDM kit hasn't arrived 8 days later. Almost $18 shipping should get it here inside of a week at least. I didn't notice it was coming FROM China. I figured it was made there.  :groan

Offline Spike240SX

• LED Lighting Nut
  • True Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 07:10:59 pm »
Yup, thats the lovely thing about DDM. It will take about 3 weeks to get here. And dont bother ever trying to get any customer support or parts warrantied out. This is why i no longer deal with them. But as the saying goes, you get what you pay. But in this situaion you actually get a good product, it just comes from a shitty company.

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 01:18:41 pm »
i got the set for the bastard in 8-9 days. i have spoken with CSR's at DDM there several times about any warranty issues if i waterproof the cases myself. they said no issues what so ever as long as i dont crack the seal on the ballast cases. and just fyi, the ballasts are already silicone sealed for waterproofing, i was just gonna go a step beyond and used liquid electrical tape to seal the wire outlet points and where the case halves meet. internally they are silicone filled. the bastard has been in downpours with zero issues and i still have yet to seal the cases myself.
81 gl1100....

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 03:50:00 pm »
Well, I got the DDM kit finally. I will let you know how it turns out... :happypep

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 03:59:59 am »
For more detail see thread titled I have ADHD and need constant supervision... :34