Author Topic: Ride Height  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
Ride Height
« on: January 14, 2013, 12:45:03 pm »
Anybody else on a big cruiser raise theirs? I got tired of dragging my floor boards all the time. So I extended the front 3" and put bigger shocks/springs on the rear. I'm happy with the results. Just kinda curious if anyone else had done this.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline LukeNukeEm

• Artist Formally known as Bosgarage57
  • True Member
Re: Ride Height
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 01:04:17 pm »
no but thats a great idea.  I scrap floorboards on my vulcan 1500 all the time.  If i was planning on keeping it I would prob do what you did.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 01:34:58 pm »
I still drag on occasion especially when I have new tires and feeling bulletproof. :34
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: Re: Ride Height
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 01:39:29 pm »
Thinking about rasong mine up a bit. The front would be easy. But would have to figure out how to do the rear.

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:40:40 pm »
Might want to adjust your preload on your shock(s), if it is available. Especially if you ride 2 up alot.

I had to replace mt coil spring with a heavier unit and have my preload adjusted so the bike doesn't bottom out as much. Yeah, it has a stiffer ride when I ride single, but it really handles the curves when I ride 2 up.

Just a thought....

Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 02:18:27 pm »
If your dragging pegs or floorboards may be cheaper to make or add a braket to raise them.   Hard parts like kickstands or exhaust are a bit more difficult to remedy..
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 02:36:39 pm »
I put heavier rear shocks/springs on it Mike. And, you're right it helped a lot.

Sam I have multiple exhausts for it. It does very well with all but one of them. And I raised it to the point I had to fab a custom (LONG) kickstand for it...lol

I'd say I've got mine handling the way I want with plenty of clearance 95% of the time anyway.  :34

Offline Brutus Buckeye

• True Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 09:14:44 pm »
Either I have enough clearance or I'm not leaning enough. LOL
2005 Yamaha V Star Classic 1100

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 04:01:12 am »
 :lol

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 01:38:25 pm »
Either I have enough clearance or I'm not leaning enough. LOL
You and me both but I do know some who scrape the boards with bikes like ours.I know I don't push mine very hard as far as leaning.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Chris_T

• True Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 04:04:46 pm »
You and me both but I do know some who scrape the boards with bikes like ours.I know I don't push mine very hard as far as leaning.

well put me as #3 in that group.
No trees were harmed during the creation of this message, although a few electrons may have been temporarily inconvenienced.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 04:58:15 pm »
I had mine lowered an inch for a long time.Being vertically challenged sucks.What I found with the v star was that the way the links are arranged it removes the mechanical leverage of the springs and you either have to use a stronger spring or prepare to bottom out alot.The links become more parallel with the shock instead of being leaned away from it.Dropped it 1 1/2 for one ride and before the stronger spring.2 up was an experience.I hit the bottom of the frame twice turning off.Scared wife and got my attention.When I raised it back after 2 yrs lowered I was amazed how much easier I could get it to turn.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 05:04:32 pm »
I still drag on occasion especially when I have new tires and feeling bulletproof. :34
I probably would if I hadn't taken 20 yrs away from riding.I just don't feel bulletproof enough to through it in the corners like I did when I was 14-15 on my 185 Yamaha.Course this thing outweighs it by like 500 lbs. :groan.
Marc

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 04:18:09 am »
The first time I went to the gap was because I had on a new set of Metzlers and needed a challenge  :34

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 10:02:27 am »
My first time was with my dads group. He seen it on line and wanted to go. I was on a 98 shadow 1100 ace all dressed out. And only weighed about 120lbs wet. My arms felt like they were going to fall off. :34

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 05:26:41 am »
You know the new CT on my bike raised the back close to an inch. Mine's starting to set like Curt's Z...lol

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 02:57:11 pm »
Soon we will have you kneedragging with the HTC

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 03:30:38 pm »
Soon we will have you kneedragging with the HTC

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Uhhhhhhhhhh..........Nuh (Um no Damon Wayans style)  :34

Offline skuuter

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 11:46:40 am »
Another reason (main reason) I hate Floorboards on Cruisers.....Forward Mounted Footpegs leave waaaaaay more cornering clearance..... :21
2010 YELLOW HONDA 1800 GOLD WING MOTOR TRIKE IRS, 2009 BLACK HONDA CFR230M MOTARD...RIDIN' EM' DAILY.....

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 04:44:53 pm »
Another reason (main reason) I hate Floorboards on Cruisers.....Forward Mounted Footpegs leave waaaaaay more cornering clearance..... :21

To be honest I have had the exhaust drag more than the floor boards on roads like 129.

Offline skuuter

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 05:25:35 pm »
To be honest I have had the exhaust drag more than the floor boards on roads like 129.

Yeah, I've drug about everything there is to drag on Roads like 129.....even Frame Rails.....

:17
2010 YELLOW HONDA 1800 GOLD WING MOTOR TRIKE IRS, 2009 BLACK HONDA CFR230M MOTARD...RIDIN' EM' DAILY.....

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 04:10:41 am »
Yep

Offline skuuter

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 12:24:39 pm »
Besides all the Sport Bikes, Touring Bikes, Gold Wings, etc., I've owned dozens of Cruisers also. Some "scraped metal" way too soon, Others were pretty good about not doing it. Just using newer Hondas as a reference: VTX1800R (Floorboard Bike)~bottomed out on everything.....VTX1800C (Footpeg Bike)~better, but still dismal.....VTX1300C (Footpeg Bike)~Waaay Better than the 1800s, but when I put Shogun Long Shotgun Pipes on it, immediately started grinding the tip off the lower pipe.....Aero750 (Footpeg Bike)~Best I had owned, then put Cobra Floorboards on it and the grinding began...went back to Footpegs.....Best I've Owned...the Phantom with Vance & Hines Short Stack Exhausts...Exhaust and Footpegs mount well above even the Frame Tubes, which sit pretty high above ground level.....

Making Corners with Cruisers always requires a better line coming in than Sport Bikes to prevent dragging...wide in and with an early roll-off of the Throttle, and than try to make the closest thing to a half-circle that can be achieved. In Their favor, Cruisers are very forgiving Bikes and can usually drag more metal before cantilevering a wheel off the road than most Sport Bikes.....Cruisers are "Laid-Back Fun" for the most part..... :21
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:25:30 pm by skuuter »

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 09:34:03 pm »
I agree that cruisers are laid back style bikes. I don't push it in the corners. I actually enjoy the ride more if I take my time and relax. Of course I am old and laid back myself now. :36
Semper Fi