Author Topic: Going to the Darkside!!  (Read 21003 times)

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
Going to the Darkside!!
« on: January 14, 2013, 03:39:36 pm »
Mike's tire thread gave me an idea for something people love to argue about. Running a car tire on the rear is usually called riding Darkside. Slightly less common is Double Darkside. And, no it's not 2 car tires. It is having a CT on the rear, and a rear MC tire on the front with the rotation reversed. I have no real desire to run the rear out front. But, I'm definitely putting a CT out back this year. Yes I've done it before and it worked great. In fact my Dad put over 50k on his CB750 with car tires on the back long before it had a name. It wasn't because of the price or longevity either. He ran them because of better grip = it took off and stopped much better. 
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline 2wheeltech

• True Member
Re: Re: Going to the Darkside!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 04:06:16 pm »
I just think that if a manufacturer, let's say Honda, with all of their years of manufacturing and testing that the greatest selling point for a touring bike would be a 50k tire. Why haven't they already done it? They don't care about the tire companies sales numbers.. So why not? Safety and geometric handling.woes maybe? Idk.. I've got pictures of DS cruisers rocked up on the edge if the tread that will make your butt hole pucker...

But hey, even meth heads support what they are doing.. Everybody else is DS why not join the crowd, right, wrong, or too slow to experience problems..

Sent from my Motorola Electrify.. Typos a result of Android swype..

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
Re: Going to the Darkside!!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 04:16:38 pm »
We could argue all the usual points. The fact they can charge twice as much for a tire that will last half as long. Or perhaps how many years did motorcycles run car tires because that was all there was? I'm not saying it's right for everybody or every bike. I don't think it makes me stupid to do it either. But, if everybody saw it my way what fun would that be?

:34
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline MIPLAYSTATION

• True Member
    • http://www.IronRidersOutpost.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 04:24:01 pm »
I run a firestone affinity on the rear of my Vision,Handle great the traction is superb and the life of the tire is just an added bonus...  Mines been mounted for two years now...
My bike is loud,and its not the exhaust..

Offline 2wheeltech

• True Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 04:29:48 pm »
Yeah but we all kno u r nutz Steve ;D

Sent from my Motorola Electrify.. Typos a result of Android swype..

Offline MIPLAYSTATION

• True Member
    • http://www.IronRidersOutpost.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 04:35:07 pm »
Ive heard people say the before,dosn't bother me a bit.... :rat
My bike is loud,and its not the exhaust..

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 06:42:09 pm »
I run a firestone affinity on the rear of my Vision,Handle great the traction is superb and the life of the tire is just an added bonus...  Mines been mounted for two years now...

Glad I'm not alone in here with that...lol

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 07:49:52 pm »
I have a post on here (someplace, or had one as I cannot find it now) regarding the Car Tire on my Burgman at 14153 miles when I had to plug it.

I bought a new tire (Car Tire) at the time to install because I was concerned about the plug holding.

I still am concerned aboiut the plug, but having another 5000 miles or so left on the plugged tire I decided to run it. I keep checking for leaks, etc. ALL OK SO FAR after another 3000 miles (estimate - would have to check the mileage to say for sure). The pugged tire is about at or is at the wear marks.  I am still running it, but I do intend to put the new Car Tire on there soon.

I will add to my post with more pictures of the tire I remove when I do relace it.

PS: One thing I notice is the edge has rounded a bit more than when it was new and I think I feel less difference in handling (force required to rollit over the edge). That was all negligible even when it was new, but I did feel there was a difference.

I also don't think I have ever been past the tread area when leaned over, but I have been very close to the sidewall.  Next set of pictures should show that.  

First picture is when New (side by side comparison) and next four at 14153 miles (plugged).

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:13:35 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 02:44:15 pm »
An interesting write up on the matter...

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/4/prweb9448044.htm

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 05:45:21 pm »
Heres another site with some info on it. http://darkside.nwff.info/
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 09:18:13 am »
Good Links I think.

I liked the articls -- but did not find much on Simple Tire. No matches for my sizes.  

I did not spend much time on the other site, but did not find much either (for my scooter). Might need to get involved (register) and post some info myself.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:34:11 am by PAULRIDES »

Offline skipman

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 11:22:00 am »
The first time I seen it  :13..thought WTH. It obviously works but seems very odd to me....

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 03:34:27 pm »
The first time I seen it  :13..thought WTH. It obviously works but seems very odd to me....

My old man was running car tires in the 70's. It seems perfectly normal to me because I grew up with it. Matter of fact his bike was the first bike I ever rode that didn't have knobby tires...lol

Offline skipman

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 08:33:19 pm »
The milage would be nice...

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 08:38:28 pm »
It's a lot more mileage than the normal MC tire. But, it isn't near what the CT would get on a car.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 09:44:08 am »
 8)

Offline Blue

• The Brain
  • True Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 04:41:49 pm »
After riding with Paul last weekend on some broken roads I am changing to a 205/50 17 the style used on the can am spyder. I will post photos as soon as I get the new tire and wheel put together :21

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 06:50:40 pm »
After riding with Paul last weekend on some broken roads I am changing to a 205/50 17 the style used on the can am spyder. I will post photos as soon as I get the new tire and wheel put together :21

Awesome  :21

Offline littlebiglee

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 08:23:49 pm »
I run double dark side on several of my bikes. I can drag the engine bars and frame on all of them. I get close to 30,000 miles a set that way. The car tire on the rear is smoother and much quieter, plus better fuel economy than the bike tire, It really makes a difference if you pull a trailer. If you get the tire on an edge you are overinflated. I found that even in a hard turn I have about 50% tread contact. I mainly run a Valk I/S, ask Smokin Joe about car tires, he's been doing it for years.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 08:40:55 am »
I run double dark side on several of my bikes. I can drag the engine bars and frame on all of them. I get close to 30,000 miles a set that way. The car tire on the rear is smoother and much quieter, plus better fuel economy than the bike tire, It really makes a difference if you pull a trailer. If you get the tire on an edge you are overinflated. I found that even in a hard turn I have about 50% tread contact. I mainly run a Valk I/S, ask Smokin Joe about car tires, he's been doing it for years.

Good input - passed it on to My Riders E Mail List and posted on another web site (Country Road Group Riders) as:

A recent post by a guy on ETB where a "Darkside" discussion is going on:

My input -- Double Darkside is Car Tire on rear and Rear MC Tire on the front (mounted in reverse direction of rotation due to the forces on the tire during braking being different than acceleration - which is the reason for need to install tire as directed by rotation arrow in the first place). Smokin Joe rides Valkyries (3 of them) and I say RRIIDDEESS - Car Tire on the rear for years.

Also, a ride buddy, Gary, (although I have not seen him on my rides in a long time) has used Car Tire on his Valkyrie for I think over 60000 miles. He was staying with me on Hwy 63 (A run from Hwy 209 to Asheville that is very curvy and steep).  Not to say I was really "Gettin' It" or that I am capable or risky enough to really "Get it" , but I was "Ridin' It" and expecting him to drop back more than he did on that big Valk and a Car Tire. We stopped and I said, I expected you to drop back -- he said "I was just cruisin". Rub It In - Rub It In. HA!   :34 Paul

Add Update after above post - Gary wrote me this latest info:
Have around 100k on the Valk now. Have ran three car tires. Average
around 20 to 25k on each. First was the Goodyear F1. Didnt like the feel
of it much. Has more square edges and wanted to follow the ruts more.
Did get good mileage out of it though. Next, ran two Toyo Proxies. More
rounded shoulders. Good feel and good mileage. Cant find the size I need
anymore in it so now running a Hankook. Really like it. 205/55/16. But
that size is also getting hard to find in it.

Also, now running a rear m/c tire on the frt. Getting good tread wear
but takes a little more effort in the turns. Not sure if going to like
the feel of it just yet. Been around 6k on it. Still looks new.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:00:18 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline Blue

• The Brain
  • True Member
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 04:56:29 pm »
Hey Paul this mite help you out with the tire info fot ur scoot http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/t5791-suzuki-burgman-650-400-scooters

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 10:18:51 pm »
Hey Paul this mite help you out with the tire info fot ur scoot http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/t5791-suzuki-burgman-650-400-scooters

Thanks -- there is a ton of information on the BURGMANUSA.com web site (Forum) which is what got me started doing it.

I like the symetrical tread on the edges of the tire he is using (both sides have same groove pattern) -- But, I would think the 165 65 14 would be too large diameter. Rub on the fender (fender is bottom of the storage area under the seat). Mine has touched and it is a 165 60 14.

The new one I bought is 155 65 14 which is near 1CM more total diameter. Figured as width x percentage (tire casing height) and then double that as increase in total diameter.  Stock MC Trie is 160 x 60. So 165 x 65 is adding quite a bit.  

160 x .60 = 96 x 2 = 192MM Stock MC Tire.
165 x .65 = 107.25 x 2 = 214.5MM (what the guy says he is using).  
165 x .60 = 99 x 2 = 198MM (I use this and it touches the fender some - no damage, but there are rub marks)
155 x .65 = 100.75 x 2 = 201.5MM (So, that will be a bit more total diamerter than what I am using now and 9.5MM more than stock. Nearly 1 CM more)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:04:32 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 09:28:22 am »
Before riding with paul and smokinjoe I was pretty iffy about it. And personally would have never tried it. After riding behind them I was made a believer. Haha esp joe on the hill! :what

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 01:13:28 pm »
Before riding with paul and smokinjoe I was pretty iffy about it. And personally would have never tried it. After riding behind them I was made a believer. Haha esp joe on the hill! :what

I didn't know it was "wrong" until I was in my 20's  :34

Offline littlebiglee

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 12:31:59 pm »
As I said in an early post I do ride double Darkside, but there are a few things anybody thinking about it should be aware of. The tire has a much wider contact patch on the ground and wants to stay flat to the surface, not neccessarily verticle. When at low speed, under 5-10mph., on uneven ground or rough pavement as found in parking lots and driveways the tire will try to maintain full contact. At first it fells like the rear bearings are bad. As you speed up and with just a little road time you get use to it and compensate automaticaly. I have found that some of the more expensive tires, gas savers, run flats and such, tend to do so more because of the stiffer sidewall. You should only be running and air pressure in the mid thirties, this also helps keep more tread in contact on curves as in allows the sidewall to flex more freely. With more contact area you will notice alot less effect of grooved surfaces and steel bridges, gravel roads are also less slippery for a cruiser. I had a Go-Pro under my bike(Valk I/S) and riding 2 up on heavy curves in Ark. at 50 Ihad close to 80% contact, the outward force of the curve forces the bike to the road. I run a 205/65/16 General Optimax at 35 psi. I still have about 30% tread at 18,000 miles.
On the front when running a rear tire, yes it is best to run the tire in the reverse rotation. As stated in another comment, the cords are wrapped in a directional manner, the torque on the tire is reversed. One tire got mounted in its' directional arrow and on one 2,000 mile trip cupped out on me, I turned it around and now 7,000 miles later it is almost back even. The tread pattern on front and rear tires is normally reversed from each other. It is angled in the rear to force dirt and other forgien crap out when pushing the bike forward, reverse it to push the crap out when under braking forces to help prevent lockup. I rember buying tires that had two arrows pointing both directions, one labeled front, the other rear.
I hope that I might have provided a little helpful info for any thinking about the switch to the Darkside. I am not an English Major so please forgive my spelling and punctuation. Ride safe and often. Lee

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 03:02:36 pm »
As I said in an early post I do ride double Darkside, but there are a few things anybody thinking about it should be aware of. The tire has a much wider contact patch on the ground and wants to stay flat to the surface, not neccessarily verticle. When at low speed, under 5-10mph., on uneven ground or rough pavement as found in parking lots and driveways the tire will try to maintain full contact. At first it fells like the rear bearings are bad. As you speed up and with just a little road time you get use to it and compensate automaticaly. I have found that some of the more expensive tires, gas savers, run flats and such, tend to do so more because of the stiffer sidewall. You should only be running and air pressure in the mid thirties, this also helps keep more tread in contact on curves as in allows the sidewall to flex more freely. With more contact area you will notice alot less effect of grooved surfaces and steel bridges, gravel roads are also less slippery for a cruiser. I had a Go-Pro under my bike(Valk I/S) and riding 2 up on heavy curves in Ark. at 50 Ihad close to 80% contact, the outward force of the curve forces the bike to the road. I run a 205/65/16 General Optimax at 35 psi. I still have about 30% tread at 18,000 miles.
On the front when running a rear tire, yes it is best to run the tire in the reverse rotation. As stated in another comment, the cords are wrapped in a directional manner, the torque on the tire is reversed. One tire got mounted in its' directional arrow and on one 2,000 mile trip cupped out on me, I turned it around and now 7,000 miles later it is almost back even. The tread pattern on front and rear tires is normally reversed from each other. It is angled in the rear to force dirt and other forgien crap out when pushing the bike forward, reverse it to push the crap out when under braking forces to help prevent lockup. I rember buying tires that had two arrows pointing both directions, one labeled front, the other rear.
I hope that I might have provided a little helpful info for any thinking about the switch to the Darkside. I am not an English Major so please forgive my spelling and punctuation. Ride safe and often. Lee

Excellent write up!  :21

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 04:55:42 pm »
Darkside Tire Pressure.

I have not experimented with tire pressure, so I do not consider myself and X-Pert on what is best and it may vary with the tire and size of the bike.

Info to consider in evaluating the my inputs: I am on a Burgman 650 Scooter, it is right at 600 lbs. I am 200 to 205 stripped, likely about 225 lbs with clothes, gear on (heck helmets weigh typically 4 lbs, then jackets, boots, chaps, etc.), then the other stuff I carry (some extra tools, jumper cable, tire repair kit, small compressor under the seat on the scooter). Usually ride single, sometimes wife (another 140 lbs with all the gear on). The Burgman is nearer a sport bike vs a cruiser in handling (of course not as powerful as a 650 Sport Bike, but it gets it pretty good). 

Anyway, I run right at 40PSI with the Car Tire. I have never dropped down below about 38F. Guys on the BurgmanUSA.Com recommend 40PSI to 42PSI and I think some go to 44PSI. (I don't rememember the reason they gave -- but, one reason I THINK was to stiffen up the sidewall a bit and another was to make it rtrack better). There is a lot of information on that FORUM (applicable to a BURGMAN 650).

I would agree with Lee that you would get more contact area with lower pressure and may improve traction on the curves.  So far, (  ;D ), I have not experienced a lack of traction (I have not slid out on a curve ::) ).

I would think too low a pressure could cause some problems: Get flat on a curve to the extent of getting past the tread area on the edge of a Car Tire, Maybe have some tendency to break the bead (As the MC folks that claim to be X-Perts say the beads on a MC Tire/Rim or different than a Car Tire/Rim - which they say means a Car Tire does not mate properly on a MC Rim AND should never use a Car Tire on a MC - doubt they have ever really tested or tried it  ::)). Watching Curt install my Car Tire -- I sure as heck do not see it ever coming off or breaking he bead at any time.  ::) 

Obviously -- Lee's pressure (35PSI) is not too low for his use and type bike as he has not had a problem. But, I would keep the thought in mind - maybe get some inputs from FORUMS on your type bike from guys running Car Tires.  I personally feel good at 40PSI on my Scooter.   

Another thing some on the Burgman Site have done is stiffen up the suspension by changing the setting on the shocks. I have not, I left mine at same setting I had when I bought it (it was used, so I do not kknow if the previous owner adjusted, he was a MC Tire guy).   However, I might should do it -- as the car tire is a bit larger in diameter as I showed in a previous post and I have had some rubbing on the fender (Fender on the Scooter rear is the bottom of the storage compartment under the seat).

I think the little rubs I have had likely came when riding double with the wife. However, the new tire I am about to install has a bit larger diameter.

I also agree with Lee's statement -- that their is a difference in handling. Things I noticed when I first put the Car Tire on (I SAY NOTICED, because now it is all second nature and I don't give it a thought, it is not much more than the differnce in one MC over another - Like my scooter and Ninja 500 curve so much easier than a Cruiser). Anyway, I noticed a difference when going across a slope (MC Tire is round and fits the slope, while car tire is less rounded and does not fit the slope), I notice a difference when transistioning from side to side over an uneven surface (like where a road surface has been repaired and one side is a bit higher than the the other side - there is more of a disturbance when crossing over witha  Car Tire), I noticed a bit more of a sudden transition from upright to the lean when force is applied, countersteering into a corner (the car tire is flat and and more squared off on the edge, so the transition is not as gradual), As far as gravel roads (I personally think it is better, but the friend that has the Valkyrie thinks the Car Tire is a problem on gravel roads), Braking is I think better (forone thing when one locks up a rear tire you will normally slide sideways one way or the other (I have not tested this and have not ever locked up the rear wheel to any extent on any bike - but it makes sense to me that a rounded MC tire would tend to get sideways easier than a flat tire). That said -- I have chirped (slid the rear tire) on a MC tire a short distance on an emergency stop and there is a tendency to get sideways quickly.     

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 12:17:57 am »
Seems alot of guys running CT on bikes like mine are running a 195 65 15.I'm thinking of a 165 80 15.The 165 is a little taller.Actually about the same as the reg size maybe a bit taller but no rub danger.I'm thinking maybe the 165 would bead up a bit easier since the sidewall would be more in the proper position as opposed to the sidewalls being and a angle.Also that the ride quality would be better with the taller sidewall.Rim width on the bike is 3.5 and the 165 is designed for a 4.Any of you experienced CT guys see any flaws in my thinking.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 08:57:23 am »

At 195 x 65% = 126.75MM (folks using now, you say) VS 165 x 80% = 132MM is 5.25MM (you are considering). So, looking at one side of the tire being 5.25MM taller or looking at tow sides = 10.5MM (1.05CM) total diameter between difference between those two sizes. Probably not a rub problem, but it is 1.05CM more (about thickness of little finger).

However, I would want to compare to the original MC Tire. What is normal size on your bike (MC TIRE).

I am not an X-Pert, but I don't like the idea of going too much difference on the tire width (rim fit) and not crazy about a taller side wall. That said, my car tire is also taller (numbers in another reply I did on here). Also, Curt says wider tires easier to get over the rim.

By The Way -- There is much information on seating posted around the Internet. It eems some go to 100 psi., others say take it slow using more reasonable presure, use plenty of lubrication, and a warm tire is larger (so, do it on a warm day or warm it up in the house).   ::)     

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 09:02:23 am »
Original MC tire is a 170 80 15.Like you not a fan of really wide tires on narrow wheels.That 100 pound territory is what I hear alot even with warm days and lube.That scares me more than any of the rest.The 195 is tried and true on my bike model.
Marc