Author Topic: Going to the Darkside!!  (Read 21364 times)

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Re: Going to the Darkside!!
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2013, 08:30:15 pm »
You are correct sir.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2013, 09:02:47 am »
I mean if I decide to try it, its what $70ish bucks for a car tire, and try it, If I don't like it I can always change back ya know.

If only rdiing 10000 a year and get nearly a year on MC tire (might not be worth the trouble or take the so caled 'safety risk' that some think exists -- other than to just try it).

I had 21000 on the first Tire Car on the Scooter, and I think about 1000 on this second one Maybe less.

No problems and I ride all the curves I can find. :-) Not leaning 60 degrees you know, but I ride it and likely harder than most cruisers.

Plenty of folks do - Smokin Joe is an example (big Valk and from what I know - he rides it).

Certainly would not try to convince anyone, but I am willing to share experiences.   
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2014, 02:22:11 pm »
With a year or so on the ct I'm wishing I had made a note of the mileage when I put it on. But, it would seem as though I forgot...lol.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline littlebiglee

« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2014, 04:10:42 pm »
Going Darkside is indeed a personal choice and I would never debate that. But I do find some statements that are used to cast doubt on using a car tire are at best wrong. True it is hard to find a 4 ply sidewall, most Trailer Trucks are 1 or 2 ply side walls. As radial tires only have two bias belts, their sidewalls are two ply. The steel belts will not conform to wrapping around the tire, they are there not for stability of the tire itself, but to stabilze the tread. The two bias belts provide the side wall stability, and in a radial they are of a heavier weight cloth than in a radial. If you have ever curbed a tire in your car, or parked on a curb, you have stressed that tire more so than on a bike in a turn, and the tire still works great. In a radial bike tire, the steel belt is flat, in a hard turn the bike jumps to the edge of the radial, this causes the extreme side wear seen on radial bike tires that are run in curves, and as the wea progresses gives that funny tire flop you feel. Bias bike tires do last longer than their radial counterparts, and costing much less, it is hard to economize the situation.
  I ride 20K+ a year and the radials for my Valkyrie Interstate cost $240-$290 each, not installed, and last 4800-6500 miles each. I buy car tires for under a hundred dollars each and get 20K- 25K miles on them. I also realize an increase in gas mileage. My wife enjoys the smoother ride. I enjoy better traction, especillaly in the rain, on gravel and steel bridges. My last three car tires have worn out in the middle, not on the edges while my front tire still hits the belts on the sides while haviing not hit the tread bars in the center. I have neve had to use more than about 35psi to get my beads seated, about the same as a bike tire.
  The only time I ever had the back come out in a turn, I saved it!, was with a bike tire, that tire was history with 1800 miles, that one slide took it to the belts. Personally I greatly prefer the car tire, ride with many Darksiders, and have never benn witness to, or met anyone witness to one causing a wreck. I do hear horror stories, but my experience has been positive. They do affect the handling of the bike, you have to adjust, but I prefer them.
  All in all I wanted to say, I guess, is that just because the side wall is 2 ply, that does mean it is weak or unstable.
  If I meet you out there I will be happy to ride with you a talk about it, but it is up to you what you do, though I probably would not recomend them on any Sport Bikes, but would on Cruisers, old Standards and Touring.
  Everyone ride safe and enjoy. Littlebiglee
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 04:12:56 pm by littlebiglee »

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2014, 08:55:07 pm »
Very well said sir.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2014, 09:52:49 pm »
The Burgman 650 broke down -- the last car tire I put on there had roughly 10,000 miles, do not know how long it would have lasted and may not get the Burgman 650 fixed to find out.

In the meantime, I bought a Burgamn 400 Scooter -- Have had a Car Tire on now for 4200 miels (I think it was when I took this picture). This Car Tire best (in feel) than the oens I ahd on Burgman 650 (AND not enough difference on any of them to worry about).

New depth tread was .250  -- at 4200 miles .200.  
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:57:10 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2014, 01:18:21 am »
In a radial bike tire, the steel belt is flat, in a hard turn the bike jumps to the edge of the radial, this causes the extreme side wear seen on radial bike tires that are run in curves, and as the wea progresses gives that funny tire flop you feel. Bias bike tires do last longer than their radial counterparts, and costing much less, it is hard to economize the situation.

I have no dog in this fight as I really don't care what someone chooses to run on their bike so long as it never becomes a safety concern to me but the cause of extreme side wear in a radial is usually due to a wide tire on a narrow rim. For instance if you swap a 180 profile tire out for a 190 while still using the same rim it will turn in faster (flop) because of the increased crown. Also because of the wider tire on the narrow rim it will be flatter on the sides of the tread which causes that odd side wear. This isn't my nifty little doodle but it shows what I mean.

You are actually doing the exact same thing with the car tire.  By forcing the car tire, which has a flat tread surface, onto a small rim it forces that flat tread to crown giving you something other than a sharp angle to corner on.

As for bias vs. radial longevity there really is no fair comparison for that. In my personal experience the opposite is true but then I have very different requirements from my bias and radial tires. I would actually expect fairly similar mileage from the Michelin Commander II (bias/cruiser) and the Michelin Road 4 (radial/sport touring).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 01:26:37 am by IanC »
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R