Author Topic: Going to the Darkside!!  (Read 21448 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Re: Going to the Darkside!!
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 09:20:40 am »
Original MC tire is a 170 80 15.Like you not a fan of really wide tires on narrow wheels.That 100 pound territory is what I hear alot even with warm days and lube.That scares me more than any of the rest.The 195 is tried and true on my bike model.

170 x 80% is 136MM so that is taller than any of the others which were 132 and 126.75MM.

And, the 165 x 80 you are talking is closer in width to the original 170 than the 195 x 65 others are using.

SO, like I said, I am not an X-Pert, but the 165 x 80 sounds better as replacement to me.  :21 Not much differnce in wiidth as far as seating it (but go slow and heat and keep presure down). And, I think it would rollover to a lean easier (more narrow).

BY THE WAY -- did you see my ride report on Max Patch road with some mud. Seems Don and I both thought the Car Tire on my Scooter did better than his MC Tire on his Scooter as far as rear slide slip in the wet slick areas and the one area that had some 2 inch deep stuff (not that deep where the other cars had it mashed down, but you drift off into the other part also).

Not sure how good that observation is as could be other factors involved - but it somewhat makes sense to me thatt he flatter tire would do better than a rounded tire in termns of staying upright (and not slipping sideways in the rear). That said, I did also slip one time when in the deeper stuff, uphill and had to giive it some gas. 

Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 09:29:29 am »
Thats along the lines of what i've been thinking I wanted to get opinions from experienced users like you.My reasoning for the CT is exactly the added traction part.I like use the bike to commute and it would be nice to not worry about the rain as much and with money tight a cheaper tire that will last longer is all good for me.I'm not a board scraper so i'm not concerned with that part and after following you a few times I know they will stick at my comfort level.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline littlebiglee

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 11:20:17 am »
I know I am going to stir the pot just a little, sorry! When rubber warms up it actually contracts, it was part of a school science project years ago. Now the reason to heat the tire is to mack it much more plyable and seat eaiser. The use of a waterbased lube is a good idea, do not use an oil based as oil softens the rubber and causes early deteriation.. The 165-80-15 would, in my mind, be the better chooice for you bike, it does fine on my Shadow, originally a 170-80-15. The tire is closer to the right width and will have better angle on the beads. Check inside the fender for obstructions, some fender bolts protude far enough to catch the corners of the tire and have to be trimmed. The tire not being rounded crosswise will be more likely to rub on the edges, might have to tighten the suspension a notch. I run mid thirties on pressuure, smoother ride and more even tire wear, have run up to 44, tire max, without any handling problems, did get center wear on the tread and more corner wear. Adjust it back and forth a little for your riding comfort. It only needs max pressure under max load. I think you will be happy with the car tire, just start out easy, get use to the difference, then give give it heck. Ride Safe, Ride often, Ride!

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 09:09:08 pm »
There you are - good advice from a guy that uses a 165 x 80 in similar application (his original was 170 x 80 MC tire). Plus, good advice on checking for rubbing, adjust shocks, and lubrication during installation.

Check CURT on lubrication use - he uses Shampoo and says it is best of all.  (talking for tire installatrion  :groan) :n21 Whatever, I say do not rush the seating process and that is mostly based on what I have read vs experience.  

I will leave the pressure in tire as a "try it and use what you like". I have heard stories both ways (mid 30s to low 40s) and have no experience other than 40 PSI +/- a pound or two (I have always used around 40 PSI). I am satisfied and to me makes sense - stiffen the tire a bit as they are more flexible side wall than a MC Tire. Maybe round the tire a little for easier lean?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:41:50 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 09:32:38 pm »
Thanks Lee and Paul thats what I was after.That will be my next tire.I actually had the opportunity this morning to roll the last tire I took off beside a 165 80 ct and it is perfect for sure.My old tire being slick even the amount of flat surface is almost identical.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 09:44:26 pm »
Thanks Lee and Paul thats what I was after.That will be my next tire.I actually had the opportunity this morning to roll the last tire I took off beside a 165 80 ct and it is perfect for sure.My old tire being slick even the amount of flat surface is almost identical.

That's awesome!
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 03:14:35 pm »
Well my new CT should be in tomorrow. Next will be pulling the rim and getting it to Curtie. And, likewise for my brother's rim/tire.

:happypep
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 08:33:12 pm »
 :21 What tire did you go with?
Marc

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2013, 08:51:05 pm »
THIS is some evidence IT WORKS --

Smokin Joe posted this picture on another TOPIC. I saved it in my computer - here it is. 

SHOWS as much TRACTION (lean) as I WILL EVER NEED and on a Big Valkyrie at that.

Darn guy thinks he is on Sport Bike.  :groan    :21   I like seeing others DO IT.  >:D

Offline KandyK

• True Member
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2013, 09:49:10 pm »
:21 What tire did you go with?
Deuce says it's a hydro edge 205 70 15

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 09:57:37 pm »
Nice.Look forward to his ride report.
Marc

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 04:06:23 am »
Nice.Look forward to his ride report.

It will be a little bit but I will get a report up on it. My brother is putting a BFG on the back of his in the same size.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 08:02:28 pm »
Here's the new tire. Hopefully if all goes as planned it will be on the bike by Friday!

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 08:23:19 pm »
 :21 Like the looks of the tread on it.
Marc

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2013, 08:55:40 pm »
+1 on the tread. I don't know how important symetry on tread is (mine is not symetrical), but I would rather have symetry as that one has. 

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2013, 08:56:42 pm »
+1 on the tread. I don't know how important symetry on tread is (mine is not symetrical), but I would rather have symetry as that one has. 

That is actually the biggest reason I wanted that particular tire.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2013, 05:24:34 pm »
Ok this is a video of a VTX with the Hydroedge on it. About 4:40 he puts the camera under the bike. Around 5:05 he is dragging the pegs and the tire still has at least 1/3 of tread stuck to the road. Then he stops and takes off like he's trying to break something. Does it prove anything...not really. But I liked it.

:34

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2013, 06:33:04 pm »
I like the TIRE - Might have to get a VTX, so I can use the tire.  :groan :34

First part of Video was a bit boring. Looks like FL Riding, but amazing there are areas in FL with some cuvres (90 degree turns that sneak up on you as you get use to straight straigh, roads along the marsh lands of the east coast where the roads follow the high land - high meaning 2 foot above sea level  ;D).

I like the tire on the road Video a bunch.   :21 

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2013, 04:25:55 am »
Taking Curtie wheels & tires today!

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2013, 07:56:51 am »
Well got the tire & wheel back from Curtie yesterday. HUGE thanks to him for mounting. I stopped at WCW for some dynabeads. When I got home I realized I didn't have any dynabeads. So, I went back to WCW and got them on my way to the in-laws for friday night pizza (weekly family time type thing). I hope to get it put on today. If I do I'll have to ride it somewhere even if I freeze...lol  :happyrider

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2013, 08:00:10 am »
 :21 Sounds great.I bet Skuuter rides somewhere today if that helps inspire ya. ;D
Marc

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2013, 08:20:28 am »
If the roads are dry I am going somewhere even if its around the block if/when I get it put on that is.  :34

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2013, 08:26:09 am »
LOL make a few laps around the block for me.I'm gonna go do a little side job this morning.
Marc

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2013, 04:51:46 pm »
If the roads are dry I am going somewhere even if its around the block if/when I get it put on that is.  :34

Great day here -- rode to PF Gym at about 10AM. 31F I think when I left and 35F when I came back. Dry roads (and forsure no ice).

Hope the tire works good-looking for a report after about 10000 miles (or before).  ;D

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2013, 06:38:06 pm »
I rode it a few miles before the snow set in. It's awesome!! My only regret is I didn't do it sooner.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2013, 07:33:22 pm »
 :21  :like  :happypep Looks sweet.
Marc

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
Re: Re: Going to the Darkside!!
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2013, 11:47:27 pm »
Good looking tire larry!!

magically posted from one of my random personalities using Tapatalk 2
81 gl1100....

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2013, 07:53:31 am »
Thanks guys...I'm happy with it for sure.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: Re: Going to the Darkside!!
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2013, 08:15:51 pm »
Sorry I couldn't get it balanced. I still have to go get some bearings. I Am just going to replace them all. For the beads balance it good enough?

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2013, 10:18:21 pm »
 :pop2
Marc