Author Topic: Going to the Darkside!!  (Read 21164 times)

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
Re: Re: Going to the Darkside!!
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2013, 04:06:01 am »
Sorry I couldn't get it balanced. I still have to go get some bearings. I Am just going to replace them all. For the beads balance it good enough?

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

The beads worked out good...expensive as hell but good. Thanks again for mounting them up for us. The wranglers do ok for your truck?
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: Re: Going to the Darkside!!
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2013, 07:00:10 am »
No, don't think I will use them. A couple of them are plugged with one having two plugs. And one of them has a pretty deep cut in the center. I might just save up and try to get some nee ones. :21

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Re: Going to the Darkside!!
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2013, 09:02:34 am »
Thanks guys...I'm happy with it for sure.

Like the looks of that tire. It even looks rounded a bit. Maybe, because of the dirt on the center. 
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Blue

• The Brain
  • True Member
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2013, 02:00:31 pm »
Well finilly got a chance to get the swap done today and took it for a ride in the snow and hugged the road well even with the snow coming down.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2013, 03:55:25 pm »
 :21 Looks great! What kind of tire is that?
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Blue

• The Brain
  • True Member
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2013, 05:26:35 pm »
Its a Sunny brand 205 /50ZR / 17 :21

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2013, 07:26:10 pm »
I LIKE  :21  Blue -- Where have you been (on the road all the time or what  ???

Wish I had a Symetrical for the Scooter.  :groan

By the way -- Curt changed my Burgman rear tire 03-02-2013 (Car Tire, different modeland size to replace the other car tire). Pictures attached. I am posting this info on the original Darkside Post, I started under discussion as wella s here. Because it has the other pictures of the the oldMC Tire and the First Car Tire.  

I finally decided to replace the Scooter Rear tire that I plugged at around 14,600 miles. It had 20,700 on it and likely would have run another 5,000 miles. The plug always worried me even though it did not leak.

The new tire is also non-symmetrical, as was the old one (the edge tread runs at different angles). I did not find one that is symmetrical. I felt there was a slight difference in getting to a lean one way over the other. However, it is insignificant from my experience with the old tire and the new ones looks less non-symmetrical.

The old tire was a 165 60 14 and the new is a 155 65 14. It is a 155 65 14 Federal, Formoza FD2, M&S bought at Easytire.com (Good for those Mud Roads to Max Patch - ready to go Don? - I will pass).

Side by side, it looks like the new tire is a bit smaller diameter than the old one. Theoretically, the way I calculated it should be larger (maybe, I calculated wrong or would it look larger mounted and pumped up)?

I do not know if you can see it in the picture -- look closely at the edge of the old tire (the very edge that use to be more squared off it is flattened at what use to be the edge). Also, note that at 20700 miles,it just reached the wear bars at nearly 21000 miles and still plenty of tread on the lean contact area. 21000 miles is about equal to 3 MC Tires wear if I ran them near slick for 500 or 100 miles. MC tires at $100 each plus installation on each of those. The first car tire I bought was like $75 with shipping and the new one is about $10 less). I do think I will like the slightly more narrow tire (5 MM is not a lot, 1/2 a CM, so likely it will be my imagination). I think it has a more rounded edge than the other tire did.

It was a fairly easy installation to get it on the wheel (easy for me, I watched - Curt did a little pushing and pulling). However, it took a while to seat it. Curt pumped it up and let it down a couple times, bounced it around on the floor. I think he kept the pressure pretty low - he said, the line pressure on his compressor was set at 32psi (not sure if he went up on that later).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 08:00:16 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2013, 08:17:55 pm »
 :21 Looks good.You guys are making me want new tires.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2013, 09:16:25 pm »
Looking good guys
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Blue

• The Brain
  • True Member
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2013, 08:08:52 am »
Yeah been keeping me busy. Mine wasn't bad to change, helps when ya got the rite tools. The tire seated the first time I aired it up, guess it helped to warm the rubber up to bout 70 dergrees and sprayed the tire and rim with campdry silicon boot spray its slick and dry's quicker than soap and protects the rubber. Took only 38psi to set the bead.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2013, 09:45:35 pm »
Yeah been keeping me busy. Mine wasn't bad to change, helps when ya got the rite tools. The tire seated the first time I aired it up, guess it helped to warm the rubber up to bout 70 dergrees and sprayed the tire and rim with campdry silicon boot spray its slick and dry's quicker than soap and protects the rubber. Took only 38psi to set the bead.

Pass that to Curt -- turns out he had more pressure that I thought (or wanted). I had kept the tire in the hosue and heated the car up hot (real warm) while driving over to his hosue (about 30 minute drive) there. However, it likely cooled some while he was removing the old tire and getting the new one on the rim.  His workshop area had some heat.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2013, 07:12:00 am »
So I took the first long ride on the CT with the Mrs with me. And, aside from salty roads I road it pretty hard. I am still loving it!  :happyrider

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2013, 06:21:51 pm »
Same here -- not a long ride per say, Probably have a total of 300 miles on it from day installed.

However, plenty of curves: Saturday on Hwy 31 and Hwy 66 (Between Rogersville and Sneedville area), plus a bunch of other country backroads with curves.

Sunday, I did Top of the World Rd and Happy Valley RD (see curve photos in ride reports).

Overall I like it better than the previous CT, except the suspension adjustment I made is a bit stiff when you hit a bump.

The new CT is a bit taller than the old CT and I adjusted the suspension from 2 to 5 (I think 5, might be 4). Idea was to keep it from rubbing the bottom of the Rear Fender (which on the Scooter is the underneath of the seat storage compartment). I saw rub marks on there with the previous CT and thought I would stiffen it up a bit. The present suspension is a bit stiff, I will set it back some.  

My guess is the original CT was only touching slightly when doubled up or hitting a bad bump as just a slight scuff marK on fender. That was with the old CT and suspension set at 2. Do not know what this one is doing and have not looked to see.

I do know some guys have used 165 65 14 and mentioned the rubbing issue. I had 160 60 14 last tire and the new CT is a
155 65 14. Stock MC was 160 60 14.  
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:23:45 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline Blue

• The Brain
  • True Member
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2013, 09:10:28 pm »
Got mine out yesterday and too a good 3 hr ride with my brother on the back roads around rogersville up thur goshom valley into church hill back dow 11w to bean station then back to the house in persia.Bout 100 mile ride the CT is great I like it even done a good burn out to get all the new off it  :34 but my brother dont care much for it he had back off from about  50 ft to around 100 ft says it kicks up alot of rocks when I go thur a spot of them.Rode pretty hard went just about 1/2 inch from the side of the tread where the sidewall meets.Feels good in the turns and noticed it didnt grab or follow any grooves in the road. :happypep

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2013, 09:23:02 pm »
Great reports.I'm thinking seriously about federal 165 80 15 on mine in the near future.
Marc

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2013, 11:14:15 pm »
but my brother dont care much for it he had back off from about  50 ft to around 100 ft says it kicks up alot of rocks when I go thur a spot of them.

That is another good point -- keep folks back from your REAR END.  100 feet at What Speed  ???  Use 3 second rule.  O)   

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2013, 03:22:50 am »
That would be a good thing if it was a car tailgating you...  :34

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2013, 03:13:37 am »
Put another 150-200 miles on it this weekend riding 2 up. Still feels great to us both!

Offline El Borrego

• True Member
  • Seymour, TN
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2013, 05:22:04 pm »
I have a fellow Valkyrie rider in Kansas that runs Bias tires with a rear tire reversed rotation on the front and gets well over 20K miles out of them.  They're both motorcycle tires.  However, Honda dealers won't install them without a signed release (putting bias tires on instead of radials).  I guess I'll just stick with my M880 MC tires.  Have a problem with car tires on two wheel bikes.  To each his/her own.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2013, 07:38:04 am »
Me and my brother took our wives on a ride 200 miles or so yesterday. Both on a CT on a VTX. And, both of us are still loving it.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2013, 07:45:36 am »
 :21 Thats great.I think i'm gonna get one after I get the windshield in the Malibu.
Marc

Offline Blue

• The Brain
  • True Member
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2013, 07:57:11 am »
Took another short trip bout 150 mile on the CT on good warm roads and dirt ,holds well feels good. People tell me I'm crazy running a CT on a bike ,I said so is riding without a helmet to each there own.Tire is wearing even.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2013, 07:07:48 pm »
I had a guy today say "That looks a lot like a car tire!" I said good...because it is.  :happyrider

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2013, 07:18:29 pm »
Smart guy he was. ;D
Marc

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2013, 08:18:09 pm »
I sure like the design of that tire.

I will have to check miles on my new tire (The Federal). I like it better than the other one. It might just be that I am more use to a car tire. I had around 21000 on the other NEXXEN car tire.

I don't think the differnce in a MC Tire - Car Tire or differnet Car Tires is worth any big issue (it is negligible for me).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:08:28 am by PAULRIDES »

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2013, 03:08:45 am »
I agree

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2013, 07:22:09 am »
If you don't like the idea of a CT feel free to post a reasonable argument or just leave the thread. Inflammatory statements aren't necessary and will be removed. 

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2013, 01:55:29 pm »
Hey Larry any idea what the rim width on the VTX is?
Marc

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2013, 08:51:54 pm »
Hey Larry any idea what the rim width on the VTX is?
4 1/2 I think

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2013, 08:58:27 pm »
Thanks.Thats in the range I was thinking they were.
Marc