Author Topic: How much can you take??  (Read 10898 times)

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
How much can you take??
« on: January 23, 2013, 04:14:09 am »
How cold is too cold? How hot is too hot?
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
Re: How much can you take??
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 07:14:38 am »
I've ridden in cold temperatures down to 5 above, way back when I was much younger. Lately..... 22 degrees, and that's with heated gear! ( LOVE my heated gear!! )

I've ridden in the summer when it was around 102 degrees. Like riding in a toaster oven.....
If I am going to ride when the temperatures are high ( above 80 or so ), I make sure I stay hydrated. Water, water, water!!!
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline LionHeart Moto

• LionHeartMoto.com
  • True Member
Re: Re: How much can you take??
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 07:33:36 am »
Road in - temps with windchill.and 102 is my.tops

Sent from Samsung Galaxy NOTE
Leather is King..

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 08:03:07 am »
I rode everyday this summer don't know how high it got. But didn't care. Low was 22 this year but miserable the hole time to work. Maybe heated gear and I wouldn't have an issue

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
[/quote]

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 02:37:08 pm »
If it hits triple digits I'm out. Setting on top of that 1300 in traffic when it's 100+ is bad. When the cooling fan kicks on the radiator it's like a jet heater. As far as cold goes it depends on if it's sunny or not for me. I have no heated gear and no lowers. So if I'm riding to work in the dark about 40 and it gets more than uncomfortable. But if it's sunny it seems a lot more bearable and I can go a good bit colder. Either way if I'm miserable it defeats the purpose so I'm taking the car...lol
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline blkz1k

• True Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 04:50:23 am »
I try not to ride if its below 40 if u cant enjoy it then there's no reason. A cpl yrs back i past  sign that said 115 all i know is it felt like i had a heat gun blowing in my face the whole time

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 06:43:27 am »
I try not to ride if its below 40 if u cant enjoy it then there's no reason. A cpl yrs back i past  sign that said 115 all i know is it felt like i had a heat gun blowing in my face the whole time

Exactly...If you have to you have to. Otherwise if it's miserable I can't want to.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 07:23:46 am »
I have rode in single digits. Once was because I was excited about my new to me bike and wanted to ride it to work. Haha
This summer had to be the hottest. I rode almost everyday. Mostly on the cruiser. Even on the interstate it was so hot it took my breath away..

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 04:27:35 pm »
Can't say how hot i've rode whatever the max was this year.The coldest so far has been 28 but it wasn't too bad the ride is only 15 min.I've got a good pair of gloves with a cover,insulated coveralls with a hoodie under and homemade lowers and crash bar chaps.I just can't seem to get anyone to understand theres not much wind behind all that.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline DragonRider

• True Member
  • Adventures we seek
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 06:13:55 pm »
I've ridden in negatives with the right gear and a good knowledge there had been NO moisture out for days (black ice). I've also ridden into the triple digits, but the only issue I had was getting seriously dehydrated this past year when it was around 105 with a 'feels like' of 115.  I went through 4-32oz gatoraids and sucked them dry. Still too far up the trails to find some place to rehydrate... so evidently a nice missed rock and I was cooling off laying on my back in a stream laughing. :)

Offline KandyK

• True Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 09:40:08 pm »
I can't take the cold at all

Offline skipman

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 09:43:31 pm »
Pretty much anything above freezing.....never too hot....

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 08:05:43 am »
I can't take the cold at all

I know that!  :brrr  :34

Offline Darkbluexplorer

• Computer Monkey
  • True Member
  • Work.. this is why I do it!!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 08:09:49 am »
A year ago I could take the cold Down into the double negatives no problem. Not anymore I have lost to much weight and im still screwed up from the chemo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 04:57:45 pm »
I can stand it far beyond where it becomes uncomfortable. Thing is that takes the fun out of it for me.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 09:16:35 am »
I am looking for a heated jacket so I can ride a bit more in he colder weather....

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 11:59:51 am »
If I had heated gear I'd ride year round. And, if a frog had wings....

Offline Striker

• Slow Down, Watch the idiots on 4 wheels
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 04:33:59 pm »
I think I have to call it at 40 degrees. Just not fun at that temp or colder to me.
1963/73  Harley Davidson xlch 1100
High Crane 4 Electronic ignition
Cycle Electric Generator
S&S Super E Carb
Shorty Slant Drag Pipes
Custom Paint
Sparky Spark coils and Plug wires

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 05:44:28 pm »
Yeah it sucks but I can do it below 40. Not fun.

03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
[/quote]

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 06:06:09 pm »
I can below 40. But, I don't like it too much. So, that has been my cut off too.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 07:23:39 pm »
I want heated gear too.But first would definately be a volt meter on the bike.I've heard to many stories about how the v star just don't have alot of spare output for stuff like that. :groan But if I can keep my hands warm i'm good at 40.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Striker

• Slow Down, Watch the idiots on 4 wheels
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 09:21:16 pm »
I want heated gear too.But first would definately be a volt meter on the bike.I've heard to many stories about how the v star just don't have alot of spare output for stuff like that. :groan But if I can keep my hands warm i'm good at 40.
You and I are suffering from the same issues.  Weak Electrical systems.  I can't add anything to mine as vulcans are notorious for horrible electrical problems.  The closest thing I get to heated gear is those shake and bake bags.  Which put in the right places works well.
1963/73  Harley Davidson xlch 1100
High Crane 4 Electronic ignition
Cycle Electric Generator
S&S Super E Carb
Shorty Slant Drag Pipes
Custom Paint
Sparky Spark coils and Plug wires

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 09:38:17 pm »
I haven't tried those yet but Paul says they work great.What i've been doing is wearing a hoodie for layering and to keep the air off the back of neck and wearing insulated coveralls.I have a pair of gloves with a pullover cover that blocks any air from getting through.Behind all the lowers and windshields it really isn't a bad ride.So far i've been down to around 28.My work ride is only 15 min. so its really not bad at all.If I was gonna go on a real ride I would like to at least take some more layering just in case.
Marc

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 09:19:10 pm »
My old man didn't mind the cold, snow, or much of anything if he wanted to ride...lol

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 09:28:57 pm »
 :21 Love the pic.Honda Dream was my grandpas first bike.He bought it in boxes,put it together and started riding.
Marc

Offline NitroSpazzz

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 07:54:38 am »
I'm young-ish, from Wisconsin and foolish so I haven't found my temp limits yet.  The coldest day I've seen since starting riding is +12, warmest was 120 or so. 

Right gear makes all the difference though. 

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 02:37:30 pm »

Don't be fooled, the V-Star will handle heated gear with no problem. I used to ride mine with a heated jacket and gloves and I NEVER had any problems whatsoever. And if you decide to get heated gear, go with the GERBING. The G-3 Gloves are the best for keeping your hands warm and they come with a Y harness so you can wear them with ANY jacket.
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 08:06:41 pm »
If I still have it this winter I may get some.I think I would be ok but I would install a voltmeter just for insurance.I don't have driving lights anymore so theres 70w for heat. :happypep
Marc

Offline gl1dinorider

• Legendary Member
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 01:04:28 pm »
temperature is not a factor. :happyrider
What does "riding season" mean?

Offline Blue

• The Brain
  • True Member
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 01:40:49 pm »
Well guess I can take alot with the full leathers with the Thinsalate inserts.Finished the swap to the darkside and figured I would test it out in the snow and it held the wet slick road well. :happyrider :21