Author Topic: V Star seat rebuild  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
V Star seat rebuild
« on: February 03, 2013, 03:18:11 pm »
Ok i've mentioned a few times modding the seat on my bike so I decided to start a thread on iteven if it is a bit late the missed pics wouldn't show much anyway.I started this with a spare seat right after the picnic ride last year and thought I had done a good job getting the shape I wanted but what I had done was recreate the Diamond seat I had sold.It was an improvement over the stock config but after a few months I started having the same type discomfort I had when I before my hernia surguries. :27 Scared the crap out of me.Quit riding started thinking and remembered the other seat so I put the stocker back on and here we are.I've seriously considered an old wing or voyager type touring bike but lack of funds prevents that so I started studying the pics and noticed the seats don't have the nose tilted up and neither does the stock on my bike so back to the shed I went and these pics show where i've got to.I used a hacksaw blade and some patience to get get the basic shape and then used a small angle grinder with a sanding disc to smooth things out and fine tune a bit.The way the stock seat is made forces hammock affect when you ride and after you ride the pressure direct on the tailbone is extremely painful and I'm not comfortable leaning forward as much as is required to relieve this so My reshape is aimed at allowing a 2piece type cover.The bottom will be covered seperately from the back.I have it where I can ride for awhile to get the feel right before I cover it though.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Re: V Star seat rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 03:27:51 pm »
The picture above is the untouched seat.The 2 below are where it is today after the work to date.You can see where I have started to cut the back loose from the bottom.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: Re: V Star seat rebuild
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 04:15:14 am »
Looks pretty good. Are you going to put in a gel insert or anything while youhave it apart? With the more forward position I would think it would also give you a bit more control?

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:31:46 am »
Undecided at this point.I've got the top cut now to let it have the movement I want it have and be able to throw the old cover on it.I'm gonna ride it like this to get a feel for what it needs if anything.I had actually thought of just covering and if it needed anything more for the long rides just get one of those memory foam/gel cushions to throw on it.
Marc

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 07:44:28 am »
Been awhile since I updated this so heres where it stands now.I think I have it where I want it just gotta get it covered.I've been using it to ride to work but unfortunately no long rides yet.
Marc

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 06:05:08 pm »
OK finally got around to covering it.I know its not pretty but I don't sew and this is for comfort not pretty.If it works out like I hope it does I'll pay somebody to do a nice job when this one gives out.The idea I had was to separate the back from the front to stop the hammock effect that comes with alot of cruiser seats.I soooo hope this works  :beg but if it don't I guess it'll be a E.D. seat for me when funds allow.
Marc