Author Topic: The New Metzler ME888 Cruiser Tire  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
The New Metzler ME888 Cruiser Tire
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:29:09 pm »
I know there were some discussions on other threads about this tire and thought I would share this article by Motorcycle.com that has some specifics and spec on the new tire. :)

At V-Twin Expo in Cincinnati this past weekend, Metzeler released the ME888 Marathon Ultra, a high-mileage tire with increased wet and dry performance intended of complement the top-selling ME880 Marathon. Also known as the Triple 8, the ME888 Marathon Ultra features newly processed compounds, updated structure and an innovative tread pattern, resulting in increased mileage while maintaining stability, handling, traction and safety in wet conditions.

“We fine-tuned all the features that made the ME880 such a success, and then focused on significant mileage improvement,” Chris Wall, Metzeler Director of Marketing and Key Accounts, said. “As opposed to rushing the market with a tire that called for compromise, we took the time to engineer a high mileage tire while maintaining all of the characteristics that make a Metzeler tire.”

The Triple 8’s contact patch is 15 percent wider than the ME880, making the Triple 8 better suited to distribute force necessary to transfer engine torque on the ground, resulting in reduced overheating of the tire’s surface often experienced with slippage under hard acceleration.

With an emphasis on mileage improvement through reduced structural fatigue and better wear uniformity, the Triple 8 employs a ply line with a more distributed and wider geometry than conventional tires, dissipating stress towards the sidewall without fatiguing the contact patch. Additionally, an improved tread pattern design with compound bridges increases stiffness underfoot, preventing stress transmission from the tread to the belts and carcass.

The tread also features a variable width tread groove which maximizes the channeling of water in extreme weather conditions.

Metzeler’s new ME888 Marathon Ultra will be available beginning Q1 2013 to fit Harley-Davidson® motorcycles, including the new FL Touring, Softail and Sportster models.

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
Re: The New Metzler ME888 Cruiser Tire
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 08:33:33 am »
Sounds good... :pop
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Striker

• Slow Down, Watch the idiots on 4 wheels
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 02:21:32 pm »
After pricing them it costs me about $350 for a set.  The wife said we could get them after this season, but I think I can push the better ride and safer card to get' em before this season.  They have a lot more contact to the road than the michellin tires I'm running now.  I also like the tread.
1963/73  Harley Davidson xlch 1100
High Crane 4 Electronic ignition
Cycle Electric Generator
S&S Super E Carb
Shorty Slant Drag Pipes
Custom Paint
Sparky Spark coils and Plug wires

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 09:54:02 am »
Hopefully these won't be plagued with the same problems as the ME880's.... and that is separation of the tread from the sidewall.   :tap  Personally, I've never had a set of Metzler's that suffered that problem, and have always had a good experience with the Metzler tire.

However, for this go`round..... I went with the Michelin Commander II's.

( I STILL love the look of the METZLER white walls.... )
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline Spike240SX

• LED Lighting Nut
  • True Member
Re: Re: The New Metzler ME888 Cruiser Tire
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 01:40:01 pm »
We've got a few at the shop already. They seem like a good tire.

Offline El Borrego

• True Member
  • Seymour, TN
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 05:38:58 pm »
I hope they have the 888s when I need new ones.  A lot of places does not carry sizes for the Valkyrie Tourer.  I get good wear out of the 880s now but like the report on the 888s.