Author Topic: 2013 Race Season is upon us!  (Read 7468 times)

Offline Kfilly

• Pinky
  • True Member
Re: 2013 Race Season is upon us!
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 08:29:26 pm »
Fantastic job! You are an amazing inspiration to alot of people. Keep up the great work!!! Good luck!!!

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 02:44:19 pm »
Great job Draik!!!!! im with curt, id love to come watch a race weekend!!!
81 gl1100....

Offline r6boater

• True Member
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 03:54:52 pm »
Make a ride out of it and come to Road Atlanta for the Cycle Jam 6/6-9th :happyrider

US129 (I think you've heard of it) goes (basically) all the way to where the track is located.

Offline Full Tilt Boogie

• True Member
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 07:13:56 pm »
Great job.   

Ill be riding at road a also

Offline r6boater

• True Member
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2013, 07:14:09 pm »
Barber is in the books folks and we had a great time!

We got to the track early, as usual, and got to hang out in the museum parking lot a couple hours before we could even get into the track. Barber is Draik's favorite track and we were all really looking forward to this weekend. My Dad, aunt, and cousin came down from Indiana to watch, and even Alicia was able to come to the track this time. (this was a special treat, as it was Mother's Day weekend)

Draik was signed up for three races this weekend, V5 on Saturday was the cheapest way to get some track time including practice. Sunday's races were in "his classes" E-superstock and Clubman.

V5 is a vintrage class that the ninjette is allowed to race in but is severly underpowered for the class. Draik had a great launch and was the first to cross the line but had lost the lead by the time they were into turn one... While closing in on the 6th place rider, Draik watched him crash out in the museum turn giving Draik 6th position where he had a very lonely remainder of his race with nobody around him for the last 4 laps finishing 6th out of 8 finishers. He is now 2nd in the V5 championship! His overall time from the first mornings practice had improved by 2 seconds.

After a good nights sleep and celebrating Mother's Day, Sunday was beautiful. His practice times were already on par with where he finished on Saturday and he was feeling good. The first race was the ESS race where Draik is runing second in the championship. Once again, Draik had an awesome start and led the Novice riders into turn 1. Still feeling a little jittery from the previous race Draik just didn't have the confidence and quickly was relagated to 4th place where he found a good battle with with another novice racer. Draik swapped positions with him a few times but ultimately held him off finishing fourth and holding onto 2nd in the SE championship.

His final time on the track this weekend was the most exciting. Draik has been woning the Clubman novice class and this weekend was no diferent, except for a maybe-not-legal-750. Anyway, Draik, opnce again, got a great start but was quickly put back to second by the big Honda 3/4 liter. In second place, he found a great battle, once again, with his buddy Dante Witter from Atlanta. Draik and Dante had about 10 lead changes throught the 6 lap race with Dante barely edging out Draik by 0.053 seconds! It was quite an exciting race to watch!

So this starts a very busy time for Team Beauchamp we will be off this coming weekend and then we have three race weekends in a row. Jennings, Roebling Road and then Road Atlanta. If anyone has been contemplating buying a t-shirt, now is the time! We are also offering tank tops for the ladies, or dudes who are comfortable with that... and we are always able to accept donations through his website http://www.thedraik77.com/#!funding/c24vq

Thanks and hope you all enjoyed the update!

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2013, 07:47:49 pm »
 :21 Great report and a great weekend.Congrats Draik keep up the good work.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline r6boater

• True Member
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 10:37:42 am »
This weekend was great! We were off to Jennings GP, which is a 465 miles drive from Knoxville. We arrived late afternoon and it was hot! This was a double header weekend so Draik was signed up for 2 two races on Saturday and two on Sunday. The two races each day were E-superstock and Clubman.

Draik had been to Jennings in December, on the 250, when he took a Jason DiSalvo Speed Academy. Hi sbest time on that weekend was ~1:45.5.

Late Friday evening, Draik decided he wanted to switch from Bridgestone to Pirelli. It was a good decision! On Saturday morning, his scrub in laps and practice laps put in in the 1:38's but still had lots of room for improvement. The races great, there weren't any great battles to speak of though. Draik was able to get his times down to high 1:33's, another 6 seconds from his practice times! The Pirellis are hooking up great and the knee pucks were getting ground down. He walked away with a second in Clubman and third in ESS.

Sunday morning's Practice showed Draik back to his previous day's race pace when he turned a low 1:34's. The racing was on! His first race was Clubman where he got into an epic battle with the "fast kid" who has been dominating the ESS class. Draik didn't give him an inch and even though he got beat out by 2.5 seconds, his fastest lap time was within 0.4 seconds of the "fast kid's"! This was a huge confidence booster for Draik. Draik's times were now in the mid 1:32's!!!!

Next was the E-superstock class with 10 bikes grided up for the start of it. Draik , as always had a monster start where he was able to position himself in between the two experts and 2nd overall coming out of turn one. There was a big cluster of bikes going into turn 3 where Drraik was relagated to 4th overall. When trying to make a move on the inside of turn 5, Draik caught some grass on the inside of the corner, slid into the bike on the outside of him and they both ran wide into the grass... it was a tense moment but both bikes were able to ride it out and get back on track, well behind the rest of the pack. The hunt was on... as the laps clicked down and Draik's time stayed low, he hunted down the bikes in front of him. Two more riders touched in the same corner as Draik and put them behind him. This left one more bike in front of him to get on the podium. With two laps and almost 5 seconds to make up, Draik started reeling the equally matched bike down... finally with 5 corners left to go, Draik put a pass on him on the inside where he was able to hold the advantage to the checkers, securing a 3rd place finish. A great way to end the weekend!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:03:22 pm by r6boater »

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2013, 06:38:52 pm »
 :21 AWESOME!!!!! Way to go Draik!!!!
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline r6boater

• True Member
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2013, 08:04:40 pm »
:21 AWESOME!!!!! Way to go Draik!!!!

Thanks... I corrected the times since the way I put them in made the smilies instead of the times...

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
Re: Re: 2013 Race Season is upon us!
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2013, 06:08:53 am »
GREAT WORK DRAIK!!!  Way to stick it out!!!

magically posted from one of my random personalities using Tapatalk 2
81 gl1100....

Offline r6boater

• True Member
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2013, 07:55:13 pm »
This was the second weekend at Roebling Road Raceway this year and my second time to be there on the Ninja 250. The first mornings practice was pretty short and uneventful.

The second practice I was 1.2 seconds faster than I had been running in my last race the last time I was there! Pushing harder, I got sucked into turn one a little too hot following another, faster bike. I ran off into the grass, then intot he sand trap, where I went down. I quick lookover from the medics, I was back to my pit. When I got there, there were a lot of my WERA friends already getting my bike fixed back up. It was a long no-lunch type of Day for Dad as he, with the help of friends got my bike ready for my races. I had a broken clip-on, body work was torn up, and my steering damper was bent up along with my upper fairing stay.

Finally my bike was ready and so was I for my Clubman race, this is the class I am leading the points. It had rained just before my race and the track was still wet and was still sprinkling some places on the track. My Pirellis were really hooking up and I checked out from the rest of the field, winning by over 20 seconds! 

Unfortunately, by the time my second race came around, the pain from wrenching my arm was catching up with me. In that race I had a great start but slowly started to fade as the race progressed. I was able to finish out the race "in the points" with a 7th place. This morning Alicia and Dad took me to get checked out and I turns out that I just have a strained muscle and will be good-to-go for Road Atlanta this weekend.

I want to the all my sponsors and supporters including; God, my parents and Grand Parents, LionHeart Moto US 129 Photos.com Race Team, Sportbike Track Time, Sportbikes4hire.com, Jason DiSalvo Speed Academy, Apex Manufacturing, LLC, Willis Cycle Works, Racer Cafe Inc, EastTNbikers, Something Extra Cycles, EastTNBikers, and all my Wera Motorcycle Roadracing friends who helped get me back on track!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:22:30 pm by r6boater »

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2013, 09:09:49 pm »
Terrific report!Way to overcome and win and doing it in the rain is just awesome.
Marc

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 05:30:07 pm »
I am soo proud of draik and his progress this year. I am extremely impressed with what he has accomplished. Hopefully you guys will have a free schedule next saturday for the ride for draik. :)

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline r6boater

• True Member
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2013, 04:14:13 pm »
Shew-we; we are wiping our browes after the long run we have just completed...

4 race weekends in 5 weeks has whooped our butts.

This weekend we were at the 2013 WERA Cycle Jam at Road Atlanta. Cycle Jam is a 4 day long motorcycle extravaganza held every year. Thursday is
Vintage racing and Practice, Friday is Practice and Endurance, Saturday is for the Regional Races and the Nationals are on Sunday.

Since we skipped the vintage races despite Draik running 2nd in the V5 class, we only had races on Saturday. We decided to drive down on Friday afternoon and take our time, driving the scenic route taking 129 the entire way down. We got to Road Atlanta just as the Endurance races were ending and the rain was starting.

Saturday morning came around; the skies were beautiful and track was green. It was a pretty frantic morning getting some last minute things taken care of on the bike, registration, tech, warmers on, and ready for the first practice session.

Road Atlanta is Draik's nemesis, he has crashed there 4 times, and blown up and engine twice. So this weekend was the first one since switching to the Ninja 250 and we were a little apprehensive  and not super excited about what Road A has to offer... 

First practice was in the books and Draik was feelign good. I forgot to get the transponder on the bike though, so I'm not sure what his times were. The second practice session came and went and we still had a unscathed bike and growing confidence.

Draik's first race was the Clubman race where he had his buddy Dante ready to take the top spot on the box. It was an epic 6 lap battle the the announcer said was the best battle of the day. Every lap they were jockeying for position and it came down to the last turn of the last lap to show that Draik was the victor by less than a half a second.

The second race was the E-superstock and Draik and Dante were lined up with one another again.  This time there were also three experts in the mix for the 6 lap battle.  In the last lap Draik missed a shift in turn 3 where, luckily, the expert behind him was quick on the brakes or they would have both been on the ground. This quick mistake gave Dante the advantage and drive through the rest of the course to hold the advantage relagating Draik to third place.

Two podiums in two races is still a great showing and we are very proud and happy with it. Now we have a bit of a break and will work on building up some race fund, do some maintenance on the bike and get some rest on us.

We hope to see everyone at the ride on the 15th and then at the bike and bark wash on the 22nd!

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2013, 07:15:12 pm »
Awesome race Draik! :21
Marc

Offline r6boater

• True Member
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2013, 04:06:49 pm »
Hello everyone, time for another race weekend update.  This past weekend took Draik to Roebling Road Raceway outside of Savannah GA. This was the third time for the year to go to RRR and the final time for the season to go to this fast and flowing track.

Shortly after arriving to the track on Friday evening, the rain came, for the first of several times throughout the weekend. During Saturday morning's 1st practice Draik came into hot pit complaining of a strange headshake in the bike after the first full lap. We couldn't see anything wrong with the bike so he went back out for another lap. As he came down the front stretch, the entire biek was "wiggling" quite dramatically and he came back in, cutting the practice session short. Draik's team mate, Jamie Murray, offered to take the bike out on the next practice session to try to determine the problem. During the session, Jamie found it was an issue with the steering damper. Unfortunately, even though the problem was found and we were able to borrow a damper from another racer, this meant Draik didn't get any practice before Saturday's races.

The E-Superstock race was first. Despite getting a great start, Draik quickly fell back in the field after not getting any good laps earlier in the day. He fell back as far as 7th position. After about 3 laps, he was able to put his head down and make up a couple spots, finishing in 5th.

The Clubman races was a lot of fun, he was able to battle with the faster Formula 3 bikes in the wet.  On the next to last lap, though, Draik's shifter fell off and he had to finish the race stuck in 5th gear. He was still able to get 1st in his class though. I was able to get the shifter fixed and the bike ready for Sunday's races.

Sunday showed more promise as Draik was able to get some practice laps in and was felling confident. The weather was once again kind of "iffy" but we decided to run DOT tires in the wet race. This may not have been the best decision and even though Draik is great in the wet, the other competition running full rain tires were able to put in some faster lap times but Draik was still able to finish in 4th position.

The Clubman race found Draik in an epic battle with a 750. The entire race was spent jockeying for position though the corners and being motored in the straights. A missed shift by Draik going into turn one on the last lap gave the huge Honda just enough of an advantage to keep the lead to the checkers. Draik was really happy with being able to battle and still get a podium.

The next race will be in Talladega in a month. Between now and then, Draik will be training by riding his bicycle and buzzing around on the CR60 improving his two-wheel skills. There are still t-shirts for sale and stickers available to show your Draik pride, just get ahold of us via email, TheDraik77.com or through TheDraik77 on Facebook.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2013, 05:46:54 pm »
Great report Kurt and great race Draik!! I bet the guy on the Honda was trying to figure out why he couldn't puul away from the smaller bike he just didn't know he had the best rider racing him.
Marc

Offline r6boater

• True Member
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2013, 08:39:01 pm »
TheDraik77 at Tally Aug. '13:

This weekend we made our way to TGPR for the second time this season. The first time, as you may remember, was the first race weekend of the year and Draik's first time to race the 250. I was looking forward to seeing what kind of progress Draik has made throughout the season.

We only went down for the Sportsman Series Sprint Races on Sunday, once again laying out of the Solo's and Vintage races to save funds... Draik was signed up for the Clubman and ESS classes. His best time in February was a 1:17.xx and he was hoping to drop several seconds from that time.

The first practice session showed no progress in the right direction, he came in complaining about tires slipping and the bike "just not feeling right". With some pressure adjustments, and slight suspension tweaking, he went back out for second practice and was able to drop 2 seconds from the previous practice but still had a lack of confidence in the bike and the times showed.

We know that Draik always drops time in the races so we were looking forward to seeing how he would do. Up first was the Clubman races, after an awesome start there was quickly a red flag that caused a complete restart. Once again, Draik jumped out to an early lead over the other novices. There were 10 laps total and Draik ended up finishing in 5th place behind some faster bikes and riders in this mixed class and getting back to his old race time in the 1:17's.

The ESS race found a rather large grid of 17 bikes in Expert (8) and Novice (9). After great start, Draik consistently dropped times and improved his lap times by 3 seconds overall getting down to a 1:14.466. Unfortunately this was quite enough and a little to late to get on the podium. He ended up getting 6th in class and 11th.

This wasn't the best weekend but we came home with a shiny bike and an overall improvement so we can't be too upset. The next race will be the first weekend of October at Road Atlanta. We'd love to have some folks come down to check out all the action on this doubleheader weekend.

Thanks again for all the support!

Offline r6boater

• True Member
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2013, 02:44:47 pm »
This past weekend was the last of the WERA Southeast Regional races and was a double header as well. It was held at Road Atlanta, which is known as Draik’s “nemesis track”.

Leading up to this weekend, Draik had been able to do a track day at Barber, where he was able to improve his lap times by 2 seconds from the last time he was there. He also got a new rear tire and was feeling very confident in his skills. This showed during his first practice session on Saturday morning when he was within 1 second of his previous best time at his least favorite track. This was also despite seeing  someone pop a motor and highside themselves to the moon within 6 turns of the session starting.

In the second session, he was able to go faster then before, dropping his practice lap times by 4 seconds! This were looking great for his first race of the day, the ESS race, were he has held the 2nd place in the championship all year. Draik got off to a monster start, as usual, and found himself in the middle of the experts by the time he made it through the first turn. A little less than two minutes later, I could hear the two-fifties about to crest the hill to come down to the last turn. Much to my surprise,  I saw Draik in third place overall and 1st in the Novice Class. I hadn’t been this nervous and excited all year!

The second lap showed the same result! But unfortunately the rider in second was starting to gain on him. That rider was able to get past him in the third lap. This entire time Draik had been leading, he was two positions in front of the rider who has been dominating the ESS Novice class. After Draik fell back to second place, my nerves were on edge, he only had the race to throw away. Draik ran a great rest of his race carrying awesome cornerspeed and following great lines but in the end, on the last lap, going down the long back stretch, he ran out of motor and got passed. Even though he gained some ground in the last few turns, the gap was too much and Draik ended up 3rd.

The second race was the Clubman, where Draik has clinched the championship in the SE Region. During the first lap, Draik go passed by another youth racer who rides a 150r full GP bike. This potent little combo is quick, fast, and runs on rails, plus the 200lb weight difference proved to be too much for Draik to beat. He ended up 2nd in the race. Over the course of the races, Draik was able to improve his lap time from his previous race time by 4 seconds.

The Sunday’s race results were a carbon copy of Saturday’s, with another 3rd in ESS and 2nd in Clubman. 4 races and 4 podiums at his least favorite track has him ready to go to kick some butt at GNF. The GNF will be held at Barber, which is his favorite track and where he had just done the track day… momentum!

To help get to the GNF, we are doing a “Sponsorship Love” vest. This is a fundraiser we have done with great success in the past but it was on helmet that were going to be the last time they would be able to be worn racing with WERA. This time it is his SaferMoto Airbag vest he has worn for the last three seasons; he has finally out grown it. We are offering that for a donation of any size, we will write your name on the vest that will be worn for the last time at the GNF. With you donation, you will also be entered to win a custom printed hoodie! So please, if you can, donate through Paypal, or PM me for our address to send a check, or meet us in person. We greatly appreciate all the support everyone has given this season and just want to make sure we are able to make it to GNF too!

Thanks! 

Offline r6boater

• True Member
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2013, 06:21:12 pm »
      The 2013 Race Season is complete!

GNF's were this past weekend at Barber Motorsports Park and marked the end of a great season. Draik was signed up for only two races, the ESS race on Friday and the Clubman race on Saturday. Draik and I were fortunate enough to have my dad, "Grandaddy" to Draik, make the trip with us. WE headed to BMP on Thursday afternoon and had a relatively uneventful drive.

When we arrived, the paddock was packed! Blessed as we are, we were invited to pit with the Apex Manufacturing/Sportbike Track Time crew (You may recognize them not only as Draik's sponsors but also Elena Myers as well). We felt pretty special to be able to pit with a real AMA team. Draik was in need of a new front tire so we took off his wheel and got it switched out to be ready to hit the track the next morning.  We then settled in for a chilly night of camping.

Friday morning found an excited young man ready to prove a point...he had improved. Taking it easy during first practice to scrub in a new tire on a cold track, he was already at a great pace. The second practice found him a little bit faster still. The ESS race was his time to shine; he was on a mission. Despite being pulled by two guys who had consistently ran faster than him all season, he kept his head down and improved his lap times every lap, his fastest lap of the race, being the last, this still wasn't enough to gain back on the guys in front of him and he met the checkers in 3rd place. Not bad for the Nationals...

Saturday morning was just down right cold after being in a tent at 33*... Draik sat out the first practice session as there was frost on the track and he had another new front tire... you see, after such a great showing on Saturday, the President of Pirelli North America wanted to see Draik on a race front tire, not the DOT he had been running, so they GAVE him a brand new SuperCorsa SC1 and told him it would be good for another 0.5-0.75 seconds a lap... it ended up being more like 0.9 seconds a lap! Despite the improvement in lap time, he was only able to manage a 6th place in the Clubman race, granted it was against some more capable bikes and he only missed 5th by 46 thousandths of a second! He had been battleign the last couple laps whith Dante, his buddy who has been the person that Draik has been battling with all season...it was a fantastic end to the season!

So, to recap the 2013 season... 20 podiums... 1st Place Clubman Novice in the Southeast Regional Championship, 2nd in ESS for the Southeast and 3rd in the ESS Nationals!

Thank you to all that have supported and followed Draik this year, it really means a lot to all of us! Over the winter, Draik will continue to do fundraising, including selling T-shirts and Hoodies to help upgrade his bike. He will be moving up to the EXPERT class in 2014 and will definitely need some suspension work to be competitive. He also plans to make a couple track days to keep from getting rusty during the winter months and get some coaching as well. Stay tuned for the 2014 season!!!!!!

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2013, 07:36:31 pm »
Awesome job guys.Congrats to you both on your record.Sounds like you have some good momentum going into next season.
Marc

Offline r6boater

• True Member
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2013, 09:02:22 pm »
If anyone is interested, we are having some special edition Championship shirts made, check out the link and thanks for all the support!

https://www.booster.com/thedraik77

Offline r6boater

• True Member
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2013, 07:08:18 pm »
Draik got his Expert "Bump" Letter today!    :bump

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2013, 05:06:46 am »
That is freakin' awesome. :wahoo GO DRAIK!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you