Author Topic: Straight up and Down  (Read 14679 times)

Offline B.E.G.

• True Member
  • OUTLAW
Straight up and Down
« on: March 27, 2013, 10:36:17 am »
That's what my body positioning is on the bike.
I am trying to move around on the seat some.
But it's a little scary.
What did you do to make you feel more comfortable on your bike?
Been looking at my pictures and my head positioning
Is all wrong also.
Any advice would be great!

Offline HOG

Re: Straight up and Down
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 02:06:45 pm »
Try to relax a little!

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Re: Re: Straight up and Down
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 05:11:16 pm »
Go down the road in a straight line move ur but to the side of the bike ride with it angled.  Go back and forth like that then get on a back rd and just drive and hang off each side. Start with ur lower body then when u get comfortable ease off with ur upper body by it self. And ride for a bit. When u r good with it ease off both lower n upper. Just do it on some back roads and main roads. Till u fill comf. I do it all the time even though u don't have to.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
[/quote]

Offline r6boater

• True Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 05:55:10 pm »
First off, have you taken the MSF class? If not, get signed up.

Second, what type of riding are you wanting to do? Commuter, spirited Gap runs, track addict, racer?

Third, if I remember right, you have a ninjette... go watch the video of Draik on the main page, he is on a ninjette and (I may be a little biased) has really good body position for track riding. Even if you don't ride a ninjette, his position is pretty good to emulate if you are wanting to ride agressively.

Fourth, if after watching the video you decide it looks like fun and the type of riding you would like to do... get signed up for a http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/ track day. I recommend Tally (Little Talledega) for a first time track experience and the STT Novice group is designed for you. It includes intro to the track, close/personal training, and very structured rules to keep you safe and most impprtantly, comfortable so you can work on you.

Fifth, even if you don't want to ride that aggressive, the track is where you can go to learn your bike and your comfort limits without the fear of traffice, guard rails, gravel, speed limits, oily spots, lack of EMT's, etc

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 08:31:57 pm »
First off, have you taken the MSF class? If not, get signed up.

Second, what type of riding are you wanting to do? Commuter, spirited Gap runs, track addict, racer?

Third, if I remember right, you have a ninjette... go watch the video of Draik on the main page, he is on a ninjette and (I may be a little biased) has really good body position for track riding. Even if you don't ride a ninjette, his position is pretty good to emulate if you are wanting to ride agressively.

Fourth, if after watching the video you decide it looks like fun and the type of riding you would like to do... get signed up for a http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/ track day. I recommend Tally (Little Talledega) for a first time track experience and the STT Novice group is designed for you. It includes intro to the track, close/personal training, and very structured rules to keep you safe and most impprtantly, comfortable so you can work on you.

Fifth, even if you don't want to ride that aggressive, the track is where you can go to learn your bike and your comfort limits without the fear of traffice, guard rails, gravel, speed limits, oily spots, lack of EMT's, etc

+1   best option.

At first its a little akward but eventually it all becomes muscle memory..

A few things they teach u at a trackday.

Body, Brake, BELIVE.   1 and 2 in no paticular order but #3 is required.

Kiss it.  Kiss your inside mirror, Head over n down will bring your upper body into a proper aggressive riding position.

at first just rotate your knee out, Then u will eventually move your ass off the seat.  Some do just 1 cheek others more.

Move with your legs n body, Not your arms.  Keep your arms loose, No unwated movements in the bars.   Yes at first this is one hell of a workout.

rest your outside arm on the tank if you need to.

lock your outside knee into the tank to help stabilize yourself. Weighting the outside peg.  Many will instinctive ly weight the inside peg.  keep that leg placed but flexible for several reasons.
Allows knee to retract inward as lean increases,  Stub a knee puck on a pavement crack hurts like hell.
allows peg to fold upward easily as not to catch/gouge causing a crash.

Balls of feet on pegs, NOT YOUR HEELS.  may require movement to access brake n shifter but will allow more clearance from dragging them or getting swept backwards.

A little trick for the ankles.  roll the ball of your foot on the end of the peg.  Some roll off the end, others raise there heel n prop it on the guard of the rearset. 

I will be on the hill this weekend although not exactly sure when yet if you need.

p.s.  Ignore my upper body in my profile pic,  :34  I know its off but it also works for when I need a little more I tuck to the lower inside.  Kinda like insurance for tire slides :34

Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 08:38:30 pm »
here is a little better positioning..

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 07:16:14 am »
The thing that helped me the most was remember to always look through the turn, kiss the mirror, smooth and consistant throttle.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 12:41:01 pm »
For some riders looking at where you want to go and not where you are going is the hardest habit to break. Once you have looking through the turn down speed and angle will follow. Our bodies will naturally go where we are looking this is why target fixation is such a bad thing. If you're staring down a tree you are likely to get a very close look at it.

Your position on the road will also play a part in picking up speed. The fastest path is the straightest line. For a right turn when possible move to the inside of the lane, cut the apex through the outside of the lane and be back on the inside on exit. Places like the Hill this isn't always the best practice for a few reasons. Mainly because you just never know if the person coming the other way will stay in their lane so a mid to outside exit will leave you more emergency maneuverability. Also with the fast transitions up there sometimes exiting on the inside will put you in a bad position for an immediate reverse direction transition.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline B.E.G.

• True Member
  • OUTLAW
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 05:31:42 pm »

WHOA!!!!!!
Thats alot of information to take in!!! :chair
Thanks for everyone's advice..... :)

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 06:36:48 pm »
LoL. We haven't even touched on the intricasies yet.

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline B.E.G.

• True Member
  • OUTLAW
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 08:42:46 am »
LoL. We haven't even touched on the intricasies yet.

Go ahead M2!!!
Kick me while I'm down!!! :sam
Lol

Offline ratster

• True Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 10:41:19 am »
Go ahead M2!!!
Lol

Oh don't feel bad,I'm still trying to learn how to walk without dragging my knuckles :o

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 11:00:14 am »
Go ahead M2!!!
Lol

Kick you ?  Nah..  But while your down there........

Check your chain tension n lube....  :34

The best way to get faster is being smooth, Then work on the other things little by little as you get comfortable..

Just Relax and it wont hurt a bit.

Survival reactions are what get most people,  Read Twist of the Wrist 1 and 2.

Leaning off doesnt make you faster, It only decreases the amount of lean required to turn a motorcycle.

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 11:16:50 am »
Also..

More proficient motorcycling.

I love this old documentary "On any sunday"
http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/79438

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline emd513

• Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Re: Re: Re: Straight up and Down
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 11:38:42 am »
The best way to get faster is being smooth, Then work on the other things little by little as you get comfortable..

Is that what u tell all the girls. Hahahaha

03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
[/quote]

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 12:30:36 pm »

Is that what u tell all the girls. Hahahaha

I have Special instructions for ones like you,  :34

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline emd513

• Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 01:02:53 pm »
I have Special instructions for ones like you,  :34
hell yeah!!!!!  Lol

03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
[/quote]

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 04:35:08 pm »
Oh don't feel bad,I'm still trying to learn how to walk without dragging my knuckles :o
You win..  lol

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline B.E.G.

• True Member
  • OUTLAW
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 08:16:15 am »
Also..

More proficient motorcycling.

I love this old documentary "On any sunday"
http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/79438

I am gonna get the Twist of Wrist and read and watch them!
Thanks M2!!

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 01:58:07 am »
seems alot of people think its just go out lean the bike over n drag a knee to go fast.  Thats the short version.

Add tire type, tire condition, air temps, pavement temps, setup including tire pressure, suspension, type of bike, When on the edge these things will bear more n more weight towards the situation at hand.  dragging pegs one day but you may need to make a few adjustments the next day due to the above.  Its all feel n feed back.

Motorcycles are inherently stable @ speed, Its human input n error that causes unstable situations.  If you ever feel a tire slide, as long as u didnt over cook it too much just go with it and it will usually recorrect itself.  dont close the throttle but dont continue to roll it on either.

And yes if you put even a 250 close enough to the edge it will spin up a tire or push the front.

pushing the front tire thru a turn..
your close to low siding, very close.  This is more controllable than losing the rear if you dont over cook it to start with.  You can litterally steer the bike with the throttle.  let off slightly and tighten the turn, more gas widens your line.  Presumably your practically holding the bike up with your knee and back tire.  This is characterized by a very vague to no contact feel at all in the front tire..

smooth steady n constant will get you to the finish line..

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline emd513

• Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 05:35:51 pm »
seems alot of people think its just go out lean the bike over n drag a knee to go fast.  Thats the short version.

Add tire type, tire condition, air temps, pavement temps, setup including tire pressure, suspension, type of bike, When on the edge these things will bear more n more weight towards the situation at hand.  dragging pegs one day but you may need to make a few adjustments the next day due to the above.  Its all feel n feed back.

Motorcycles are inherently stable @ speed, Its human input n error that causes unstable situations.  If you ever feel a tire slide, as long as u didnt over cook it too much just go with it and it will usually recorrect itself.  dont close the throttle but dont continue to roll it on either.

And yes if you put even a 250 close enough to the edge it will spin up a tire or push the front.

your close to low siding, very close.  This is more controllable than losing the rear if you dont over cook it to start with.  You can litterally steer the bike with the throttle.  let off slightly and tighten the turn, more gas widens your line.  Presumably your practically holding the bike up with your knee and back tire.  This is characterized by a very vague to no contact feel at all in the front tire..

yeah totally agree. I ran today first run with 36 front 34 rear n she kept wanting to spin or step out so I dropped it to 26 24 and she would hug but it starts to have more effect n the bars and u have to put some more pressure on them to go. Depends on ur tires too. I have 2ct front and a pure rear. Get a certain tire n stick with it and u will know after a few times what is best for you for your type of riding.

03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
[/quote]

Offline B.E.G.

• True Member
  • OUTLAW
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 08:45:23 pm »

that is one of my problems...You say its stable..but to me,it feels like im gonna fall right over.  :27
im not wanting speed..I want lean angle...you dont have to be fast,to drop a knee.. if i want to TRY and "corner low"
i want to trust that it wont just flop over.

i have bias ply Dunlop tires right now..
i just switched from Pirelli.i love these Dunlops compared to the Pirelli Sport Demon..
i am gonna get radials on my next set...

Offline ratster

• True Member
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 11:19:56 pm »
Find a big parking Lot,hang your butt off the seat and start going round and round. Do it at your pace and your comfort level. :n21

Offline emd513

• Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 01:52:31 am »
Find a big parking Lot,hang your butt off the seat and start going round and round. Do it at your pace and your comfort level. :n21
just don't so what I did n run around a light pole on ur knee n end up melting ur pucks down.lol

03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
[/quote]

Offline Darkbluexplorer

• Computer Monkey
  • True Member
  • Work.. this is why I do it!!
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 07:49:49 am »
Riding a bike is like riding a horse or any thing else. You have to trust the bike (and yourself) before you can do the good stuff. Start with the little things and work your way up. Take note of how fast you are going around the corners in your vertical position. Then start to lean a little more and give it more gas and notice the speed at at that point it should have increased but not feel any faster. All you are doing is changing you're center of gravity on the bike, in doing so you need to give it more gas to make it out of the corner due to gravity pulling you down. If you don't give it more gas then gravity will pull you down where as when you have the extra gas the bike will be trying to fling you to the outside of the corner these the reason for leaning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Offline B.E.G.

• True Member
  • OUTLAW
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 06:17:50 pm »
Okay..I went to the Gap today and starting practicing shifting my weight on the bike...(eeek).i am more comfortable in a right hand turn,than I am a left..Left hand turns seem awkward. It is definitely different and somewhat scary.i just want the bike to hold me up thru the turn and not just flop over.seems like when I am chin with the handlebars that i can't see in front or thru the turn as well.we will see how this goes.lol

Offline midknight

• cupcake
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 06:41:27 pm »
Okay..I went to the Gap today and starting practicing shifting my weight on the bike...(eeek).i am more comfortable in a right hand turn,than I am a left..Left hand turns seem awkward. It is definitely different and somewhat scary.i just want the bike to hold me up thru the turn and not just flop over.seems like when I am chin with the handlebars that i can't see in front or thru the turn as well.we will see how this goes.lol
I have no idea what it is about lefties but they seem more difficult to me as well. I think Its because I feel more cautious not to cross the center line or meet a car that is over or riding the line. I'm much more confident in righties.  Only thing I know is practice practice practice.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Offline LukeNukeEm

• Artist Formally known as Bosgarage57
  • True Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 06:56:41 pm »
Are you right handed or left handed

Offline midknight

• cupcake
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 07:17:14 pm »
I'm left handed

Offline B.E.G.

• True Member
  • OUTLAW
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 08:03:15 pm »
I have no idea what it is about lefties but they seem more difficult to me as well. I think Its because I feel more cautious not to cross the center line or meet a car that is over or riding the line. I'm much more confident in righties.  Only thing I know is practice practice practice.

Lefties just seem awkward and not as smooth.i am right handed maybe thats why I feel more comfortable at right hander.but u are right.practice,practice..