Author Topic: Apr 9, TUE - Blue Ridge Past Mt Mitchell  (Read 1009 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Apr 9, TUE - Blue Ridge Past Mt Mitchell
« on: April 08, 2013, 06:31:34 am »
Blue Ride Parkway past Mt Mitchell, should be nice views with no tree leaves. NOTE: I do not plan to stop on top the Mtn due to time (that ends up adding an hour or more to the trip) and I am all ready using a longer route to get the good part of the BRP north of Mt Mitchell a few miles.

Estimate 7HRS ride time -- PLUS, Add Breaks. If I leave at 8:30AM, back at 4:30PM  ???  

Temps are 54F at 8AM (depart) and 79F at return (Say 10F cooler over the BRP). Prepare for the variation (Layers).

DEPART: PILOT  at Hwy 66/Boyds Creek (south of Exit 407 about 6 miles) --  NO LATER than 8:30AM Leave earlier if all going can make it to depart earlier.

I will likely leave earlier if no one else is going.

SO LET ME KNOW and we can work it out or I will be gone before 8:30AM.  

ROUTE: Easiest way to show it is by GOOGLE LINK

LUNCH: BRING PICNIC SNACKS -- No long lunch break planned, but fast food or convenience store if it works out. One problem is you are on the BRP about lunch time (and nothing there, so I do not know where we will hit a food place. This one is not about "Ride to Eat".

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:32:23 am by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline powerjunkie

Re: Apr 9, TUE - Blue Ridge Past Mt Mitchell
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 08:10:43 am »
FYI, I was on 25/70 yesterday wanting to go to hot springs.  About 5 to 10 miles from hot springs there is a detour.  Not sure how much farther it is around the detour because I finally turned around to head back.  I went about 20 miles down the detour before turning around.  On the detour they have a controlled burn in the forest and it's really smokey.  Plan on it not being very enjoyable through there.
Capable of evading high speed pursuit

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 02:43:15 pm »
FYI, I was on 25/70 yesterday wanting to go to hot springs.  About 5 to 10 miles from hot springs there is a detour.  Not sure how much farther it is around the detour because I finally turned around to head back.  I went about 20 miles down the detour before turning around.  On the detour they have a controlled burn in the forest and it's really smokey.  Plan on it not being very enjoyable through there.

???   I wonder if the detour you mention is something different than the Bridge Repair over the French Broad.

The Bridge Repair can be bypassed with a road that runs parallel to the river on the south side of the river (maybe 4 miles,no added distance, but takes anit longer - it is actually a nice ride).     

Offline LukeNukeEm

• Artist Formally known as Bosgarage57
  • True Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 03:32:31 pm »
paul im sure he is talking about that bridge, just go through del rio to bypass that.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 08:22:06 pm »
paul im sure he is talking about that bridge, just go through del rio to bypass that.

10-4 -- used that bypass befroe the bridge work (it was a rough ride then - chug holes,etc.). I think they repaved in anticipation of the bridge work. They don't push it as a bypass. I guess because it gets too narrow for large trucks.

I followed a MH thru there one day and thought - the idiot should not be on here, but we did not meet another car or truck - so all went OK. 

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:29:31 am »
Not that it matters as no one was joining me, but I canceled this morning (darn cell phone will not turn on and I do not want to go that far alone without a cell phone). TECHNOLOGY  :groan