Author Topic: fuel leak  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Chris_T

• True Member
fuel leak
« on: May 03, 2013, 09:17:13 am »
 :mad

went to pull the star out and get a few miles in before the weather hits. fire it up back outta the garage and smell something. look down and its pouring fuel! front cylinder's carb is shooting fuel out of what looks like an open vac port. Guess I gotta pull the tank and carbs and figure out whats going on before I can get any riding in  :groan

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:18:37 am by Chris_T »
No trees were harmed during the creation of this message, although a few electrons may have been temporarily inconvenienced.

Offline LukeNukeEm

• Artist Formally known as Bosgarage57
  • True Member
Re: fuel leak
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 09:33:48 am »
Yup I say a little peice of debris is stuck in 1 of the needles

Offline Chris_T

• True Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 09:37:14 am »
Yup I say a little peice of debris is stuck in 1 of the needles

yea kinda my thought. I'll get it apart later and see what I find. MAYBE I don't need any parts just clean things up. See what it looks like inside. I've been on the road for work so its sat longer than I've ever allowed it to before.
No trees were harmed during the creation of this message, although a few electrons may have been temporarily inconvenienced.

Offline jeff5150

• livin the po life!!
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 09:54:54 am »
like Luke saide..... i would bet float bowl needle it stuck or trash in it and letting the carb overfill
81 gl1100....

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 05:48:51 pm »
More likely that the Ethanol CRAP gas that we are forced to use has deteriorated and swollen the tip on the float needle and it isn't working any more. I say this because it sounds like this started after having the bike sitting for a while. I have had to replace all of the needles in all my carburated bikes in the past few years.  Best way to avoid this is to make sure the carbs are drained  before storing the bikeover the winter.   

Oh, and BTW, Stabil, or the like, won't prevent this from happening.

Your best bet is to buy two float needles and replace them BOTH.
Quote from: jeff5150
just follow 129 on the map towards nc til it looks like a kid drawing it had a siezure
Quote from: Tomsljr
Know the difference between crack heads and Gap addicts? I have heard of people quitting crack.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy when getting on and off my High Horse!

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 08:27:09 pm »
Chris if your in a pinch I've a couple I took out while chasing a problem.Also while your in there go ahead and remove the jets and clean them real good and run a small wire through them to make sure they are clean.That hose is the vent and fuel will run out it if the needle sticks.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Chris_T

• True Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 12:02:50 am »
Chris if your in a pinch I've a couple I took out while chasing a problem.Also while your in there go ahead and remove the jets and clean them real good and run a small wire through them to make sure they are clean.That hose is the vent and fuel will run out it if the needle sticks.

I appreciate that, I'll let you know if I need to take you up on the offer.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 05:50:29 am »
If I can help my # is 4 2 3 7 1 8 4 0 2 7.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re: Re: fuel leak
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 01:09:53 pm »
Yeah, butch is right. The e-gas is a home wrecker for carbs and there rubber parts :(

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline cowboy450

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 08:18:33 pm »
You might also try shutting off the gas and running until the bowls are empty. Sometimes the trash will drop out of the needle. Also try tapping the carb with a screwdriver handle and see if it stops. If all of that fails then tear them apart. I am a firm believer in Seafoam also. It cleans and is also a fuel stabilizer. I manage a small engine shop and since the use of ethanol, carbs are our biggest moneymaker.  It's best to use ethanol free gas, here is a link that will find stations in all states that sell it.

http://pure-gas.org/
82 Aspencade, 83 Interstate, 81 Bobber

A Goldwing isn't an old mans bike, it's a wise mans bike. Often that wisdom comes with age.