Author Topic: Chain/sproket for my Z  (Read 1273 times)

Offline duh09

Chain/sproket for my Z
« on: May 14, 2013, 08:49:19 am »
Hey guys,

Took my rear wheel off last night to get ready to have my new tire mounted today and noticed that it's time to order a new rear sproket and figured I might as well go ahead and get a new chain and maybe change up the gearing a little bit. What brand is everyone running? Where do you get your parts from online? I know my bike's already been swapped to a 520 chain so I'd like to keep running that but just don't know what the best parts would be. Would much rather spend the money now on quality stuff than waste it on junk. I know practically nothing about picking out one chain over another as this is the first time I've had to mess with it since buying my bike.

Thanks,
Sam

Offline duh09

Re: Chain/sprocket for my Z
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 12:08:05 pm »
And I guess just to add more questions to the mix. I was looking at Vortex sprockets (mainly because that's what was on it) and read through the 520 conversion thread again. Would the hardcoat aluminum sprocket last as long as the steel? Also, how will I know if I actually need to replace my chain?

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
Re: Re: Chain/sproket for my Z
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 12:22:54 pm »
My suggestion on sprockets is to steer clear of aluminum on a daily rider. The weight loss is marginal and they wear much quicker. For the chain any good quality name brand does well with proper maintenance. I like EK chains on my daily rides.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline blkz1k

• True Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 12:27:16 pm »
If u change the sprocket then do the chain at the same time they wear together is what I was always told .... that chain and sprocket only had 160 miles on it when I wrecked it last June

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Offline duh09

Re: Chain/sproket for my Z
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 01:19:10 pm »
That's what I thought, I've put around 6500 miles on it and that rear sprocket is just done for haha. I'm leaning towards just putting a steel one back on it because I ride too much to have to worry about shoveling out for a new chain and sprocket every couple of months. Are there any particular brands to avoid when picking out a sprocket or is the same sort of pick a name brand and go with it?

And one more question, does the 520 setup last as long as the 525 stock setup would?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:36:21 pm by duh09 »

Offline blkz1k

• True Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 01:59:20 pm »
No the 520 don't last as long ... I'm going with jt sprockets on the sv1000

Offline duh09

Re: Chain/sproket for my Z
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 02:22:46 pm »
Well did some more reading and ended up just going ahead and ordered stock gearing, steel sprockets from Vortex and a D.I.D. 520 X-ring chain. I'm not sure that I'd ever notice swapping back to the 525 but I like the way the bike feels now and don't want to mess with too much. Now to hope it gets here soon!

Offline blkz1k

• True Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 02:27:33 pm »
Yea I had went down in the rear to make it a lil smoother it was geared up 3 in the rear and it was violent