Author Topic: Off Balance Tire Wear  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
Off Balance Tire Wear
« on: July 21, 2013, 07:39:23 am »
Read and copied this from the VTXOA Forum. Opinions?

It's a well-known common problem that plagues particularly the VTX1300. There have been many discussions about this, as well as just as many opinions as to why. I believe it is the result of several combined reasons... but the biggest being the VTX is seriously off-balance with quite a bit of the shifted weight on the right side. The front rotor, rear rotor, and exhaust system all hang off the right side! Recently put a level on the handlebars while riding straight and the bike was constantly leaning left to compensate.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
Re: Off Balance Tire Wear
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 08:35:14 am »
I am not a mechanic and I am not claiming to be one but..... have you checked to see that the wheels are aligned to run true?!? The reason I ask is..... my son had a rear tire put on his Cross Country a while back by a dealership ( whom I won't name, besides, they are out of business now ) and he noticed the rear tire was wearing oddly ( cupped and wearing on one side ). He took the bike back and they checked it out and found the rear tire wasn't lined up. They reset everything to factory specs and it was fine afterward.

Just a thought.....
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 12:34:11 pm »
Like I said I copied that off another forum. That being said there isn't an adjustment for the rear axle since it's shaft drive. And, I have had first hand experience with several VTX that had more wear on the left side of the front tire from the original to the last one. There is thread after thread debating the cause. I've heard everything from tire pressure to riding habits.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline EsrTek

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 01:15:24 pm »
I am not a mechanic and I am not claiming to be one but..... have you checked to see that the wheels are aligned to run true?!? The reason I ask is..... my son had a rear tire put on his Cross Country a while back by a dealership ( whom I won't name, besides, they are out of business now ) and he noticed the rear tire was wearing oddly ( cupped and wearing on one side ). He took the bike back and they checked it out and found the rear tire wasn't lined up. They reset everything to factory specs and it was fine afterward.

Just a thought.....

Man I think you just found out what my weird issue w tire wear I'm starting to see on my front. (there is a bump on left side of front middle, that goes around entire wheel).
I did not see it before I adjusted my chain, and I was not sure I had both sides lined up perfect.
Lucky I need to change to my S20's anyway (stock rear w/ 6k is flat spotting bad) so that should fix it all.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 04:24:17 pm by EsrTek »

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 02:04:26 pm »
I keep hearing its caused by road crown.My front wears more on the left.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 06:56:19 pm »
I keep hearing its caused by road crown.My front wears more on the left.

That's the old go to answer. I say BS on that one. If you rode in the same position on two lane roads of similar age and construction maybe. But, most of the bikes I've had didn't do it. It seems to me to be a problem primarily for big twins. More to the point big cruisers. It doesn't seem to be a common problem for the 4 & 6 cylinder touring bikes.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 07:40:59 pm »
Got me just stating what I hear.My main wear issue has been rear and I hope I have that under control.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 08:21:47 pm »
Got me just stating what I hear.My main wear issue has been rear and I hope I have that under control.

Yeah, I've heard that quite a bit too. I'm pretty sure I got a handle on my rear tire wear too.  ;D

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 08:29:49 pm »
I think your cure for that will be my next one if the Commanders don't make me happy.
Marc

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 10:27:44 pm »
Yeah, I've heard that quite a bit too. I'm pretty sure I got a handle on my rear tire wear too.  ;D

:lol

Wish I could get the same cure for the NINJA 500 130x70x17. The MC Tires last about 7000 miles if I ride bald for 500 or 1000.  :groan
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 03:05:28 am »
Is there not a 15" or 16" rim from another bike that would fit the bike? Would probably be easier to fit the tire to.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 06:08:12 am »
Is there not a 15" or 16" rim from another bike that would fit the bike? Would probably be easier to fit the tire to.

Thanks for the respoonse and idea.  I probably will not go to that much trouble and mismatch rim, etc.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 04:01:20 pm »
Thanks for the respoonse and idea.  I probably will not go to that much trouble and mismatch rim, etc.

You're welcome, it was a thought.  ;D

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 06:08:59 pm »
And thats what we like Larry.Your always thinking.
Marc

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
Re: Re: Re: Off Balance Tire Wear
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 07:46:20 pm »
And thats what we like Larry.Your always thinking.

Yeah sometimes it works out. Of course sometimes it can be expensive and/or painful. lol

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline littlebiglee

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 04:29:51 pm »
Most say that road crown causes left side wear, not it! The way our road system is laid out you spend a lot more time turning left than right, because you are on the outside of the turn. You can often find right side wear.higher up on the tire body than the left because turning right you turn sharper then left, but because the right track is shorter, you are not on that side as long. The longer the bike the more pronounced the wear due to the weight pushing on the tires. It is a common ailment on larger touring bikes that stick to the back roads. My Valkyries' will actually have the steel belts visable at around 5800 miles on the sides, while I have not touched the wear bars in the middle. Now if it is cupping, that is normally due to under inflation, even if set a factory specs, might try up to 5 lbs. more air. The higher inflation can cause slippage on dirty bumpy curves, so increase gradually. In countries that drive on the oppossite side than us do have the tread wear pattern reversed. The crown is usually less than 5% so that wear would blend in with the center of tire wear. Often if the rear tire is major out of line you will feel it push to one side under hard accell. and pull oppossite under braking. Minor missalignment can cause rear tire wear and slipping to one side during a skid, line it up very carefully useing the center of your swingarm bolts and the center of the axle bolts, much more accurate than the little scribe marks. Ride safe every one! Littlebiglee

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
Re: Re: Re: Off Balance Tire Wear
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 04:37:21 pm »
Most say that road crown causes left side wear, not it! The way our road system is laid out you spend a lot more time turning left than right, because you are on the outside of the turn. You can often find right side wear.higher up on the tire body than the left because turning right you turn sharper then left, but because the right track is shorter, you are not on that side as long. The longer the bike the more pronounced the wear due to the weight pushing on the tires. It is a common ailment on larger touring bikes that stick to the back roads. My Valkyries' will actually have the steel belts visable at around 5800 miles on the sides, while I have not touched the wear bars in the middle. Now if it is cupping, that is normally due to under inflation, even if set a factory specs, might try up to 5 lbs. more air. The higher inflation can cause slippage on dirty bumpy curves, so increase gradually. In countries that drive on the oppossite side than us do have the tread wear pattern reversed. The crown is usually less than 5% so that wear would blend in with the center of tire wear. Often if the rear tire is major out of line you will feel it push to one side under hard accell. and pull oppossite under braking. Minor missalignment can cause rear tire wear and slipping to one side during a skid, line it up very carefully useing the center of your swingarm bolts and the center of the axle bolts, much more accurate than the little scribe marks. Ride safe every one! Littlebiglee

That's far more logical than the crown in the road poo. Well written explanation.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 07:34:32 pm »
++ sounds good to me. I also think I ride harder on left
curves as have better visibility. The fact the left curves are longer is a thought I never had.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 07:43:41 pm »
 :21
Marc

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 08:37:03 pm »
Unbalanced wear is pretty much insignificant (but is visible) on this NINJA 500 Front Tire (around 18000 miles - I forget).

Anyway, in need of change some miles ago.  :groan I did replace today.

Used my new tire changer - Figured I made about $3.00 hr (saved labor costs, it took me a long time HA!) Long story on that (another topic).  ::)

One picture shows easy part - after getting tire off.  ;D

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:15:48 pm by PAULRIDES »

Offline EsrTek

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 08:51:55 pm »
First - Great info!!  Thanks  :21
Now if it is cupping, that is normally due to under inflation, even if set a factory specs, might try up to 5 lbs. more air. 

Often if the rear tire is major out of line you will feel it push to one side under hard accell. and pull oppossite under braking. Minor missalignment can cause rear tire wear and slipping to one side during a skid, line it up very carefully useing the center of your swingarm bolts and the center of the axle bolts, much more accurate than the little scribe marks. Ride safe every one! Littlebiglee
It maybe that on mine, I try to check regularly but sometimes slack.  Maybe my gauge just sucks, it's one of those off a auto part store counter.  I should really invest in a digital once I get another job.

I admittedly had no frakin idea what I was doing, it was my first time needing to adjust a chain, 250 didn't have the torque to stretch it as fast as this 600.
I used the scribes only, will have to look into the method you mention.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 03:14:54 am »
 :21 Always nice to have that glad I hang around here and heard that moment.  :21