Author Topic: Clutch replacement on 04 z1000  (Read 4569 times)

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Clutch replacement on 04 z1000
« on: July 22, 2013, 07:15:57 pm »
Alright guys I decided since there are a few of us that have z's I would make a post on the replacement of the clutch. This is how I am doing it with some pointers on which and what clutch to use from our buddy Curtie.

Tools: 8mm socket and extension (1/4 or 3/8 drive. I used 1/4) 5mm Allen socket or wrench which ever you have. 17mm wrench for drain plug. Small flat head screw driver, Towel, rags what ever you use to clean with and something to keep the parts off dirty surfaces. oh and a cleaner I prefer using wd-40  over brake cleaner or carb cleaner unless its pretty nasty.

I didn't take a pic of removing the cover, because if you cant figure out how to take the 8mm bolts out you shouldn't be doing this.:-D
You will have to spin the clutch rod almost 180 degrees to disconnect it to get the cover off. Don't pry or man handle it either. this is now what you should see. if yours is dirty you need to learn how to change your oil. Lol
take your 5mm Allen an break each bolt loose. I like to take them out in a star pattern just to make sure it doesnt do any warping to the cover.my clutch was slipping in high rpms as you can see the burn marks. :( the black shaft piece you can now pull out, carefully do it so you don't drop it and knock out any of the bears in there plate, clean it as well.
Pull each disc out, this is where the small screw driver will help get to the ones towards the back in the casing, don't pry just use it to help slide them towards the front. You don't want to do any damage to the casing.I laid them all out as they were in the motor. now I advise you to clean up the left over crap from the slipping clutch as well. Last thing you want is that stuff getting into your new set and screwing something up. I used the wd-40 to soak it down, leave a towel under it to help catch junk that falls out, don't want that in the motor. after it sits for a min I take the towel,rag and wipe everything down, use the screw driver in the towel to get to the little spots that my hand can't reach. now its cleanI like to just in case I didn't get all the junk out, spray it down again and sope up the liquid u also lean the bike over and spray to help. Now you can start the rebuilding process. My springs were my issue so news go on.looks like the previous owner replaced the clutch but never the springs. not a good idea guys. while your in there go ahead and do it. will save you a headache later.almost forgot, there's two band on the back side of the clutches ( top left) take those out and wipe them down. Not sure if they have a particular spot of the two that go first so I just made sure the back went back to the back.lol talking to curt I decided to get the barnetts kit, 50/50 reviews but most are from idiots bot liking how it grabs or didn't want to take there time with install. Barnetts kit had a piece of paper that says soak clutch disc for five to ten min. Now I talked to curt about this, I've always heard over night so that's what I'm going to do as sugar nipples thinks that's good to. Remeber these things sit in oil the whole time there in the motor so it will not hurt you to wait a little or if you prefer soak them prior to pulling the old out. Either way you want to do it.also use the oil you plan on running to do this. This is the point I'm at. going to wait till tomorrow to put back together, will post steps of it once I'm done.
Sent  from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Offline emd513

• Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Re: Re: Clutch replacement on 04 z1000
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 07:20:25 pm »
forgot to post this pic showing the two rings in top left

03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
[/quote]

Offline emd513

• Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:22:38 am »
Alright girls. Now to install, real simple actually start with a pad then plate until all but the last pad is on. The last pad needs to be put in the grooves one notch over like you see in the pic below.
Now re-insert the shaft and make sure to put the washer in it as well on the outside, now you can put your cap back on. It will slide over I believe only one way could be two. Make sure that it set all the way up to the clutch plates. put your bolts and springs back in hand tight then I like to screw them in half way criss crossing to the next bolt then take them all the way in to where I start to feel pressure. Do not snug them down.now to torque criss cross pattern again to 78 inch pounds. Not foot pounds. I think its actually 76 but I always go over a couple just to be safe. You can pick up this wrench at AutoZone for 50 to keep or rent. I just had them order me a new one so I could keep it when I was building my Honda. I didn't get another gasket cause I was able to get the cover off with out destroying the old one. I use high tack on everything though. U can use gasket maker if that's what u like.live this product simply because it does not truly set up and makes install simple with out a lot of mess. Put it on thin though, and I also get in a hurry like I did to day and installed the cover before i torque the plate. ??? if you didn't pay attention when you pulled the cover off the motor, there's two longer bolts that hold the plate for the clutch cable on. The shorter one goes on the right. again with these bolts as well screw them in till theres pressure and stop. Criss cross pattern. Torque these to 95 inch pounds. I install my clutch rod before tightening the bolts all the way down should t matter though. Turn the lever part towards the back of the bike slightly and make sure it goes all the way down. now spin it towards the cable. Don't force it just wiggle a little if it doesn't want to jump over easily until it stops.. Your spring should sit like in the pic. If you happen to have dropped it on removal the bigger gap goes on the bottom then your washer. Now tighten and torque bolts if you have not already done so. Check and make sure you have a clutch lever with resistance then Reinstall drain plug, add oil (3.3) for first gen z. Start and go for a little ride. Be easy on it for prox 100 miles. I just went around the block and shifted slowly into ever gear and adjusted my lever to my liking. If you did everything right you should be good to roll. Here is the type and part number for the barnettes I used which right off the bat you can feel the difference in the clutch on grap and pressure.
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
[/quote]

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
Re: Clutch replacement on 04 z1000
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:23:23 pm »
Nice write up D! And, I'm with you on the high tack. It works better and less mess. It doesn't get stuck in oil pumps and such either if you put too much on...lol. I use Aircraft sealant a lot too. It actually looks and works the same as the high tack.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline BASSGEEK

• True Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 02:10:27 am »
Well when ur next drag day ill try and make it this time

sent from the late night shift NOTE 2

Offline emd513

• Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 10:24:58 am »
Dnt know yet. I may go up Friday after me an the guys get back from our ride. Thinking of hitting devils triangle

03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
[/quote]

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 02:21:46 pm »
Excellent write up! You make it look easy.....
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 06:29:20 pm »
+ 1 on Good Write Up.

I would have to be doing it and reading to get it all, but it would surely help.  ;D
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline blkz1k

• True Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 06:33:11 pm »
Good job... just hope u don't have to do it anytime soon ... the guy that got my old bike was talking bout do his clutch

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD