Author Topic: Try new tire changer - My First Time, learned one thing (Maybe all know it)  (Read 1739 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Curt has been doing my tire changes for sometime and I have been very pleased with his effort, price, and visit to the MC Repair Hangout.  :happyrider  

WHY MESS with it  ??? -- More just something to do (per hour savings today was about $4 per hour not counting a couple nicks on my rim).  ::)

I got it in my mind to get a changer after estimated $1200 in labor charges over last 12 years of riding (255,000 miles total last count). ;D 

Basic tire changer from TOOL PLACE next to Knifeworks. You know the type (break bead and rim holder). Likely use spoons vs the bar it came with - but I did use a combination of both today when removing the tire. For INFO - It was $134 something with tax, $20 for a 4x8 5/16 Plywood cut in thirds to mount it. (3 pieces  - 32 in by 48 in). I think you can beat the price some on Internet if no tax and no shipping for same type. But, I was anxious and Kids Will Never Miss the extra money I spent of their inheritance.  ;D

NINJA 500 Front Tire (110 70 17), should have learned a little from last tire change at Curt's (narrow tires harder to deal with). Anyway, I learned today. But, I also learned a technique that I think will help in future.  ;D

NINJA TIRE (Picture 1)-- Agrees with Unbalanced Topic started by DEUCE. Not a lot, but definitely more wear on the left side of the tire (I forget exactly, but think it is about 18000 miles on the tire). Ninja (Picture 2) waiting (long wait) for me to get a new tire on the wheel.  :(

Picture 3 - Tire Changer with rim on it after I removed the tire shows the Three Layer Plywood mounting.  Removal went pretty easy - used combination of the Rotating Bar they give you and Spoons. Mostly spoons and no Rim Protector except old heavy socks.  ::)  Added a few extra nicks to the rim (painted black rims on the NINJA).

Picture 4 - Putting new tire back on the rim. Probably did more nicks on the rim during this process while struggling to get the second bead over the rim. I finally developed a new technique (new to me at least) that I think worked well (for a one person installer operation) and would have saved me some nicks.

MORE on Picture 4 -- I had the usual trouble of keeping the part of the second bead that was over the rim edge down in the center of the rim (it is hard to hold it down while also manipulating the tools on the remaining part of the bead). I did not have a good clamp to put on the tire to hold the bead down. I did try a piece of wood for a wedge between rim and bead to hold it down (no luck).

The new technique -- I squeezed and pushed the beads into the center of the rim, then wrapped strapping around the tire and rim while I was holding the beads in there. Both beads are in the center of the rim (the part of both tire beads that had been slipped over the rim edge before things got tight).  

That made it a lot easier to use the tools on the opposite side of the tire to get the remainder of the bead over the rim.  :happypep  So, easy I would have saved an hour or more that I spent ( :groan ) trying everything to get it done before using thei technique.

Only ONE OTHER PROBLEM -- I only have a small 110 v compressor wih no tank (OK to add air to a tire, but not to set a bead). Neighbor has a large compressor with a large tank. Tried that an everything else I could think of (bouncing tire, tie down strap around circumference of the tire). NO LUCK as part of tire bead was down in the center of the rim and air came out as fast as we put it in. I am not sure we were getting a lot of flow from his compressor.  ???

Anyway, I took the wheel and tire on SCOOTER TRUCK and rode to Po Boys on Chapman Hwy. They set it on the ground hooked up air and bead immediatley set. GO FIGURE. Guy said all he did was lean on the vertical wheel/tire while the other guy applied the air. NO CHARGE - I gave them a $5 tip. Crap, guess I only saved $3 per hour in labor  :groan. BUT, I HAD SATISFACTION - got the blamed thing on there.    

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:36:53 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
Now that's commitment...Nicely done. That is what I call (when I do it) a education on what I didn't think of before I started.  :34
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline lacon

"Kids Will Never Miss the extra money I spent of their inheritance"
I have noted that reasoning for my own use.  I think it may come in handy.

Also, as far as bead seating, if you had taken that strap (or a rope), cinch it snuggly around the perimeter of the tire, then tighten it down (a big screwdriver between the strap & tire, then twist it 2 or 3 times), the compression on the circumference of the tire will push the beads down & out so that they will contact the wheel & seat with a tank type air compressor.
Don't think a tankless compressor would ever do it.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
   "Kids Will Never Miss the extra money I spent of their inheritance"
I have noted that reasoning for my own use.  I think it may come in handy.

Also, as far as bead seating, if you had taken that strap (or a rope), cinch it snuggly around the perimeter of the tire, then tighten it down (a big screwdriver between the strap & tire, then twist it 2 or 3 times), the compression on the circumference of the tire will push the beads down & out so that they will contact the wheel & seat with a tank type air compressor.
Don't think a tankless compressor would ever do it.

Yep...I've done that before. lol
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
next time soap up the bead of the tire before install..  They actually make stuff for this that works better than soap.  You can almost mount with out tools then..  Ive actually slipped the first bead over by hand before w/ just soap..
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline lacon

K-Y Jelly works well too.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
Thanks for inputs.

I used shampoo ( Like Curt  O) ) for lubricant.

Not much trouble getting beads over the rim after I put straps to hold the bead in center of rim (on opposite side from where I was working on remainder of the bead).

Setting bead -- I did put a tie down strap on the circumference and ratcheted it pretty tight, maybe not enough. It certainly did not push the beads out of the center of the rim - seemed to just push them in further and most of the air leak seemed to come from where the bead transisitioned from the normal bead area into the middle of the rim. Both beads were down in the center.

I don't think without a high volume/pressure compressor I could ever get it aired up. I did not expect to with my little portable compressor (no tank, just a plug into AC about the size of 1 1/2 shoe boxes).

Even neighbors did not work (large tank -- but I think 100 psi and not a lot of volume thru the regular connection like you use to pump up a tire). Maybe try again using neighbors compressor on next replacement.

If not, Po Boys does it FREE. By the way -- I think they said they will install and balance tires to a wheel (Car) for $10 (maybe it was $15) if you have your own tire and rim. NOT FOR MCs - they don't mess with them except to air it up.

It will be a few months before I need a tire (if no flats, or other problems). Order Rim Protectors when I order next tires. ime.

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
option B.  Spray ether around inside of tire and a strip from tire to about 4 ft away, connect air nozzel and step back and light ether trail.. 

Not very safe but its worked every time for me.  Boss had a trk tire giving him issue once.  I stepped in and said here do this..  He moved about 20ft away :34
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
I have done the either trick in a trailer tire once. :n21 a hit hairy haha
Glad to see you got the setup. How did the plywood mounting hold up?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
I have done the either trick in a trailer tire once. :n21 a hit hairy haha
Glad to see you got the setup. How did the plywood mounting hold up?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Plywood seems fine -- I would have had two layers of 15/16 (30/16 - nearly and inch total) to hold the unit with the extra board underneth to keep bolts off the ground. However, my bolts I had on hand were a little short so had to take out part of the second board to get the bolt long enlugh. Still held OK. Then you can drag iot around where you want it and be able to walk around it wheil working.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
So far so good on my tire change.

Main reason I am posting this is ::::: I had a LOT of WOBBLE on front (40 to 50mph range) on the NINJA 500. Pretty much always been there, but seeemd more extreme with the last tire (Kenda) and I think mainly as it wore the sides to a point at the center it beacme worse. 

Anway, I am amazed that the wobble is nearly GONE wiht this tire change (still a Kenda, same model). Seems I read somethign about they improved tire design. 

One other thing -- I also changed Brake pads (front) and at first, I thought these pads do not have the stopping power of the old ones (those where paper thin I might add). The new ones seem to be improving. I think still not the stop of the old ones, but much better.

I had never noticed a problem when changing pads on a bike before (like they needed to be burned in or something).

As I said, I don't think these are as god as the last ones, but much better than they were at first.