Author Topic: The BIG'OL GUN thread!!!  (Read 60696 times)

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Re: The BIG'OL GUN thread!!!
« Reply #510 on: March 04, 2017, 06:59:35 pm »
Spent brass makes some nice accents and covers on bikes.I have seen several vstars done nicely with them.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #511 on: January 22, 2018, 11:14:05 pm »
     As a sort of personal commemoration of the centenary of World War One I've been working now and then the last few weeks on restoring a British rifle from that war. It's a Short Magazine Lee Enfield Mark III (or, as later redesignated, a Rifle No.1 Mark III) which was the main battle rifle used by the UK and it's Commonwealth during WW1. It was made at the armoury at Enfield in 1913. It had been "sporterized" and cut down for use as a hunting rifle somewhere in it's history and I bought it years ago always intending to eventually return it to it's original appearance.
     Now seemed to be the right time. After rounding up the missing metal parts and a replacement stock from an Indian made Enfield I've come close. Still needed...a new production replacement stock in the original configuration and the parts to add the missing volley sights. But for now it looks the part of the old warrior it is and shoots like a dream. 

I'm also posting photos of my two other WW1 era SMLE's and will add some info about them to the individual photos. The 1911 BSA made rifle was my first ever military rifle that I bought 45 years ago at a gunshop in Virginia that had a barrel of SMLE's for $40 each. Knowing what I know now, I wish I had bought the whole barrel.

SMLE No1 Mk III made at Enfield in 1913. All the major parts have matching serial numbers. The stock is a replacement sourced from an Indian drill rifle. The sling is a modern reproduction of a 1913 Mills Equipment Co. webbing sling. 105 years old and shoots just fine, thank you.

Why yes, I do have the 1907 model bayonet to go on the front.

The 1913 Enfield produced rifle was looking like this when I got it.

SMLE from BSA & Co. made in 1911. She's pretty rough looking but still works just fine. I thought about restoring this one but thought the rough bits were signs of having seen active service and needed to be there to appreciate the rifle's history.

I've always thought the SMLE's had a very distinctive businesslike look.

The dial on the side of the stock is the base for the volley sights which were removed from the rifles by the Brits during WW1.

There are other rust pits on the barrel under the wooden stock. My theory on this is that the trenches were pretty wet places to live.

The SMLE was produced by many companies during wartime including the London Small Arms Co. which is where this one was made in 1917.

Based on this one's condition I think it was arsenal rebuilt, probably after WW2, and then put in storage. The original bluing of the metal surfaces has been covered in black paint, which was a common practice in British armouries, and the bolt has been fitted and serial numbered to match the receiver. Every thing matches and it shoots like it is a new gun. I recently added the WW1 reproduction sling.

(Tudor crown)
G.R.
LSA Co Ltd
Sht LE
III

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:35:11 am by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #512 on: January 23, 2018, 06:42:16 am »
Very nice. Love the old rifles.
Semper Fi

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #513 on: January 23, 2018, 06:53:50 am »
Interesting history on that one.An era of very different military weapons than today.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #514 on: January 23, 2018, 12:01:52 pm »
Amazing stuff lasts that long.

The position on the tree is really nice ---- maybe just leave it sit there for decoration?

Spoiler would be -- need a ton of chain and locks to make it say there.  :groan
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
What I fixed today...
« Reply #515 on: March 01, 2018, 11:31:43 pm »
What I fixed today: A Ruger Single Six .22 handgun. I bought this in 1976 for Rose to use and it gave us many years of good service until breaking during a summer vacation in the US in 2003. Since we were only home for a couple of months a year getting it fixed was a pretty low priority and so it languished in the dark recesses of my gun safe until a couple of weeks ago when I decided to take it on. I took it apart and found a broken plunger (part of the hammer assy.) and ordered a new part from the nice folks at Numrich gun parts along with a new set of Rosewood grips and some other parts I thought were showing wear. It turned out the plunger I got was too long and needed to be dressed down to a working length. So, I'd grind on it a little , reassemble the pistol, find it wasn't short enough yet and disassemble it to grind some more. After 4 cycles of this it was right and the gun functioned well. So, I took it apart one last time to thoroughly clean and lube it and now it's ready for another 30 years of service. And I really like the look of the new grips.

Photo #1
I like this sort of puzzle!

Photo #2
The broken part is number 26 on this diagram.

Photo #3
Here's the broken hammer plunger I found.  It helps control the cylinder latch so it's important and the broken piece jammed the lockwork.

Photo #4
After 10-15 complete cycles of disassembling and reassembling this thing I'm fairly proficient at Ruger single action lockwork.

Photo #5
All good again. Tested, cleaned, lubed and ready to go.

CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #516 on: March 02, 2018, 06:13:43 pm »
Nice little pistol
Marc

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #517 on: March 06, 2018, 09:38:00 am »
Neat bit of wrenching and good final result.

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
This looks like Vietnam revisited...
« Reply #518 on: March 08, 2018, 11:16:05 pm »
One of my sons recently bought an American made AKM clone at a gunshow in Knoxville and bought it out to the property today so he could try it out. I couldn't resist venturing into the gun safe and dragging my mid '70s Colt AR-15 SP1 out to compare. (I bought the AR as a retirement present for myself when I retired from the USAF in '95 as it is a visual twin of the rifle I fired in basic training.) The Colt gets the nod as the much better gun but it was interesting being able to compare the two. We ended up not shooting that much as it was pretty cold today but we had fun punching holes in paper.

CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
« Reply #519 on: March 10, 2018, 09:07:41 am »
Like the display on the tree.