Author Topic: still not happy with forks  (Read 1030 times)

Offline skeeter

• True Member
  • if you are gonna go,go old school.
still not happy with forks
« on: July 29, 2013, 04:04:12 am »
starting to work on the tryke again ,as the mustang convertable is in the shop. the fork is raked to far for it . it does ok when you just gas it ,but at low speeds you have to be real careful or the front wheel will just fall over , real fast . but a vw steering shock on it & that didn;t do it. the whole fork ,triple tree & all is weird to me . nobody can tell me what it is. but after looking at it , for a long time, i think i got an idea . famous last words here. the way the triple trre is made , it looks like i can turn the forks upside down . the triple tree is a clamp type , 4 bolts on each side ? it looks like i can pull the fork tubes out & swap sides . that will put the axle behind the forks raise the whole tryke up & give it more trail , that it really needs . the axle is a 4 bolt deal to. in front of the forks . before is start i just wan't to know is there is an axle /bearing problem that i might see. i think it i swap left to right & turn it all up side down , the bearing /axle thing should be runng the same way. if any of this works , the axle will be behind the forks. you will see what i mean in the pic. 
if you are gonna go,go old school.

Offline skeeter

• True Member
Re: still not happy with forks
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 04:07:43 am »
well no you didn't see the pic . try agaim

Offline skeeter

• True Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 04:47:11 am »
my fokker tri-wheel is getting to be one of them" hold me beer & watch this "  or " i think i can do this , i saw it on a cartoon" . but thats what its all about to me . i had the first vw 3 wheeler in ktown in the 70s & i found this one & said "i'll just have the last one . it's just a big ,big toy. but i love it . it's my 14th air cooled vw & i can still make them purr.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 01:35:36 pm »
I would be afraid putting the wheel below the forks would make it "flop" over quicker.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Marid2apterbilt

• 1-SLW-LCL
  • Legendary Member
  • Dumb Mtn Hermit
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 06:04:26 pm »
I would be afraid putting the wheel below the forks would make it "flop" over quicker.

Id say do it.. 

There is a reason why most grocery carts, wheel barrels, kids toys wheels where the axle follows the mount or pivot.  I think it would be more stable..

Just a hunch as im no engineer..

as for the how to.  I would leave the wheel bolted and undo the fork clamps, remove forks/wheel as 1 piece, turn em over and bolt back on..
Quote from: Hot Blonde young Waitress
Fine dont eat my CUPCAKES then

Just because your a Touron doesnt mean we Locals should kiss your......

http://129slayer.com

http://www.easttnbikers.com/forum/

Ha! Not gonna happen.