Author Topic: Aug 15, THU -- UPDATE in Reply (Blue Ridge Parkway Loop) & Crabtrtee Mtn.  (Read 557 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Mon - Wed (maybe Fri also) -- The Gym in PF is closed (I think all week) for yearly maintenance. SO (weather permitting), I plan to ride to Jeff City Gym Mon and Wed (use to go there when I lived in Kodak). Monday, I plan to work out early. So, I have a little time after workout for a local ride and a lunch stop on the way home. Could meet at the gym (it is on Hwy 92, north of I--40, Exit 417 (on the left at a stop light as you get about 1/4 mile from 11E). Have to talk to set a time.

Day visits there use to be a $1 (hope it is the same). Not up to par with PF Community Center, but it will do. I use to include a swim in my workout there (Seldom do in PF).  

THURSDAY -- Prediction is 10% rain coverage (ALL DAY) and high of 89F. Betty's Hospital Vol Day,  she will be working until after 5PM. We plan to meet for dinner someplace around 5:15PM.

So, I will ride first.

Thinking about the BRP loop that I had planned a couple weeks ago canceled because of rain. That is a loop - East thru Hot Springs, Weaverville, then Ox Creek Rd up to BRP, then South on BRP to an exit (maybe as far south as Hwy 276). Then run a couple roads I like (Crabtree Mtn - would be in reverse of usual direction), then River Rd (Maybe Rabbit Skin, but thinking stay along the river to Exit 7 of I-40, a new one for me). Then I-40 back into TN (Foothills or Newport).

I will work out details of route based on distance and time later - as well as the meet place and time. I will update before Wed Evening.

ANYWAY, LET ME KNOW IF INTERESTED and I can work a plan somewhat based on who wants to go, etc. (otherwise, I will just do my thing).

That said --
I do need to leave pretty early from Home- Say by 7:30AM or so, and meet in area of (Xit 407 of I-40 or Sevierville) by 8AM -- MAYBE as late as 8:30AM. No big lunch stop planned, BRING SNACKS. Maybe a quick stop at Fast Food or thinking about an Ingles Deli in Canton, NC if we come home that way - and an Apple Fritter at Marshall - about 2 hrs after depart).  
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:21:29 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Re: Aug 15, THU -- Ride Someplace (Thinking about the Blue Ridge Loop)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 04:20:16 pm »
UPDATE UPDATE (as of Tue at 5:20PM)
WEATHER Dependent - Presently (TUE at 5:00PM) hourly prediction for Thu is range of 15% in Knoxville, but as high as 30% in Canton, NC when we will be going thru there. High temps in low 70s (BRP will be cooler - suggest take rain gear to put over jacket in case need for rain or warmth).

I discussed switching ride to Wed with Wes and Mike - Only about a 10% difference in hourly rain prediction. We decided to go for Thu (a day I preferred anyway for other reasons).  

DEPART: 7:45AM at I-40, Exit 407, at parking area between Shell / McD. Then Wes and I will meet Mike at I-40 Exit 424 (BP east of I-40 exit) at about 8:05 to 8:10AM.  ANYONE ELSE INTERESTED, LET ME KNOW because if Wes and I show up a bit early, we may leave early.  It will take us about 20 to 25 Min to get from Exit 407 to the BP.

LUNCH: No planned lunch stop (bring snacks). We will stop at Marshall (Ingles) for first break (1hr 45 min into trip) to do restroom, top off gas or wait and top off at Weaverville, likely get a Apple Fritter and coffee at Marshall. :-) We will stop at Canton (Ingles) for a break, restroom, and top off gas if needed (Deli there for something quick, good soup, IF TIME PERMITS, see how schedule is going).

DINNER: Yes, meet Betty at KFC after she gets off her Vol Job.

ROUTE: East to Weaverville, NC, Ox Creek Rd to BRP, South to Hwy 276, to Canton, Crabtree Mtn (reverse of normal direction and very steep and curvy), to Riverside Rd, to Panther Creek, to I-40 Exit 15, to Foothills Parkway, and FOR ME (Sevierville via Jones Cove to meet Betty at KY Fried Chicken on a 2 for 1 coupon).

Couple of points to make -- Route Shown is 225 miles 5HR 56MIN ((6HR)) - add what ever you need to meet and then to get home from wherever you decide to split. ALSO, time does not include any break time. So, add a couple hours = 8HR Total for route shown. Based on that, I should be back by 4PM. I need to be back at 5PM so we have another HR to play with for breaks or stops.

I considered a stop at the Cradle of Forestry. It would add about an hour to the time, so I think best too skip it since  Mike and I both need to be back about the same time. Cradle of Forestry is shown as a White Dot on Hwy 276 east of POINT M. I have been to Cradle of Forestry, so I will leave it up to anyone going as to whether or not we stop there (So far -- Wes and Mike Coffee and a couple neighbors of Mike's).  I think the entrance fee at Cradle of forestry is $3 if you do not have a National Park Pass (but one time they let the group in on my pass) .

SPLIT POINTS for Wes and Mike or anyone else to consider: ::
There are a couple of points to split that make sense if anyone decides to cut it short. They would involve using more I-40 getting back to TN:::: POINT K (BRP to I-40 at Asheville), POINT L (BRP to I-26 at a bit past Asheville, then to I-40).

If you go on to Point N (HWY 276) then might as well follow the rest of it especially to do Crabtree Mtn as it is a dandy -- but, you could get on I-40 at Canton (POINT P).

At Point U, I will take Foothills to Jones Cove RD -- reckon those going further East or North would stay on I-40.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:23:01 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)