Author Topic: AUG 29th -- Ride East toward Burnsville, NC (three options after Burnsville)  (Read 566 times)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
Betty is doing great and plans to work her Vol Job for 1/2 day. So, if weather permits - I will ride a longer ride.

DEPART: 8:00 AM at PILOT(Boyds Creek and Hwy 66, about 6 miles south of I-40, Exit 407). Can also meet folks on Hwy 411 east of Sevierville at Hwy 339 intersection (I think there is a BP on the corner). LET ME KNOW if you plan to go or I may leave earlier.

ROUTE:   Discussion
I have thought about heading EAST (Burnsville, NC area would be most distant eastern point) for sometime.

Burnsville, NC - MAKE A DECISION depending on who goes and who does what.  Wes responded he was interested in a ride until about noon (so, he will need to split for home as this ride will extend past noon by a few hours.

Wes, DECIDE where you want to split (GOOGLE LINKS below). Maybe at Marshall about 10AM, would put you back home by noon --you could go toward Hot Springs and cut off on Hwy 208 to 70 to Greenville. Not sure what you would do if you go past Marshall?  Maybe, go to Mars Hill and turn back or take I-26 to Erwin and then 107 over to Greenville).

Dan said he Might Ride Thursday. So, assuming he does or anyone else does (Non Gravel Riders) I will use either plan 1 or 3. if everyone wants to ride a little gravel or if I am alone, I will use Plan 2.

Plans -- Not necessarily in order of preference (miles and time are from the Pilot Meetup and back to Newport, TN (so, add your extra miles onto that),   

Plan 1 -- Near Burnsville, NC take 19W toward I-26,and pick up Hwy 352 (TN) to Hwy 212 (NC) to Franklin Mtn (NC) to Hwy 208 (NC) to Hot Springs to Newport.  This route is more of a loop,involves repeat of route from Hot Springs.  182 Miles 5HRs (not counting stops of estimated 2 hrs).

Plan 2 -- At Burnsville, NC  take 197. The paved road thru the little town of Pensacola (neat) and on up to an excellent curvy route before you get to the gravel (becomes gravel for a few miles as you go over the Mtn).  Then head back home via Marshall, Hot Springs, Newport.  This involves repeat of route from Marshall. 185 Miles 5HR (not counting stops of estimated 2 hrs)

Plan 3 -- At Burnsville, NC take 197 to the little town of Pensacola (neat) and maybe on up the twisties and backtrack back to Burnsville (Great ride on Hwy 197 both ways). Then head back home via Mars Hill, NC and Marshall, Hot Springs, Newport. This involves repeat of route from Marshall.  200 Miles 5Hr 20MIN (not counting stops of 2hrs)

Planned stops --

Marshall, NC (first stop at about 1 Hr 45 Min after depart -- (Be pee'd and gas'd from depart). Break of say 20 or 30 minutes at Ingles Supermarket Deli for what ever your heart desires.  (Cannot pass there without a Apple Fritter at bakery and Coffee).

Couple other break stops (lunch stop is questionable - Bring Snacks) 

No big lunch plan (bring snacks)

If plan 1 -- Not any stops I know of after Marshall or Mars Hill area (and those would both be too early for lunch) until you get back to Hot Springs. Bring snacks.

If plan 2 or 3, We will be in Burnsville (there is a little local restaurant that is OK. We could stop, but hate to take the time for a long stop and not sure about the timing for lunch). Also, we will be coming back thru Marshall and can stop at Ingles again (Deli with bar - soup, salad, etc.). Not sure what time that would be or how much time we will want to take for a stop. Maybe, not stop -- Bring snacks in case.

Plans by GOOGLE Link if you want to make split or something:
Plan 1:

Plan 2:

Plan 3:

Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!

Wes was going-called to cancel as in-law having health issues.

Ken plans to meet me at the BP by 8:20AM (I should be there about then or by 8:30AM). Ken does not do gravel, so Plan 1 is in effect. 
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)