Author Topic: Help with a noise on a VStar 1100  (Read 5419 times)

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Help with a noise on a VStar 1100
« on: September 08, 2013, 06:04:59 pm »
I know these thing are noisy but it makes a noise down inside that bugs the crap out of me.Have to be riding it to hear it but best description is sounds about halfway between the valve noise thats normal on this thing and its about to come from together.Doesn't do it all the time but will do it as I start to roll letting out on clutch and to roughly 2500-3500(no tach).Also seems to come on easiest at 60-65mph.Bike seems to run normal other than being noisy.Chain tensioners are working just dont know how much pressure they are supposed to put on the chain.Just trying to figure out if its potentially to main,rod,wrist pin,piston slap,cam or tensioner.Did the same thing just not as bad last year but quit while I was chasing it now its been back for a few months and doesn't act like its going away this time.Any ideas?
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
Re: Help with a noise on a VStar 1100
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 07:49:34 pm »
Not many unusual internal noises will come and go like that. The tensioner may be sticking. Is it a hydraulic or mechanical tensioner? Everything in spec (valves, final drive, etc)?
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:02:37 pm »
Honda big twins tend to have a noise in the clutch basket.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:18:29 pm »
Not many unusual internal noises will come and go like that. The tensioner may be sticking. Is it a hydraulic or mechanical tensioner? Everything in spec (valves, final drive, etc)?
Your tellin me.The tensioners are mechanical and i've reset both and heard them snap out but who knows if they are weak or not.Never been into a bike engine i'm a small engine guy.Told a guy at work its the same noise a kawaski small ngine makes at idle and if it was just idle it wouldn't bug me but when I'm at speed and it does it it concerns me.First time it did it to me was last year going across the hill.By the time I got back to 411 it sounded like a thrashing machine.Its sounds horrible at the second light from work but quiets some after.Like you not much would come and go.I did change some stuff last year which probably created just enough noise to mask it.May be nothing but its concerning me.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 08:22:07 pm »
Honda big twins tend to have a noise in the clutch basket.

Anything is possible.Heard that on the first year 1300 but not the 1100.Then again these motors don't usually give any issues other than the occasional starter clutch or mid shaft.I hate not having somebody I trust close by. :banghead I think about stuff till its so overthought its pathetic.
Marc

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 08:27:44 pm »
I bought my bike from my father in law at a deal because he couldn't like that rattle from the clutch basket. I took the baffles out about 20,000 miles ago. And I haven't heard it again since. lol
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 08:32:56 pm »
I've done stuff like that myself.Told Donna I could just put those Monster Pro pipes back on and either sell trade or it till it quits.
Marc

Offline Chris_T

• True Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 08:35:51 pm »
If I'm not mistaken the Vstars have a mid shaft nut that is known to back off or snap off that can cause noises and drive line failures.
No trees were harmed during the creation of this message, although a few electrons may have been temporarily inconvenienced.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 08:38:47 pm »
You are correct.I've locktited and staked that nut already but I haven't check it.It just sounds in motor to me but I will check the mid nut again just for good measure.
Marc

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 08:44:46 pm »
If it wasn't for the racket it makes at a stoplight as its warming up i'd say it sounds like what I imagine a spark knock would sound like.Like some dudes in there with a hammer going at the alluminum parts.
Marc

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 11:43:40 pm »
Check with a stethoscope or screwdriver and see if you can pin down approximately where it's coming from.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 09:17:28 pm »
Didn't use screwdriver or stethoscope but by getting close up to engine it appears to be something to do with the front chain.I will try to move a customers mower out of the shop tomorrow and do some better investigating.Thinking tensioner.
Marc

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 03:06:42 am »
 :pop

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 05:19:12 pm »
I'm 95% sure this isn't an internal part failing.I've really sat back and thought hard about just when this started and there is no way an internal part would last that long.Actually found a pic from the trip where I first heard it and I know the setup it had back then.Picked up parts to fix another problem and I hope this one.Thinking a slight exhaust leak where the rear elbow connects to pipe.Not enough for that noise but enough to lean out that cyl and cause it to rattle/ping.Will know in a day or so.
Marc

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 10:15:50 pm »
I think i'm getting warmer.Progress has been made.
Marc

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 04:13:10 am »
I think i'm getting warmer.Progress has been made.

:21

Offline Curtie223

• Legendary Member
Re:
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 05:29:27 am »
So your thinking it could be like a spark knock?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

2001 KTM 300exc 
 2004 LTZ400

-When you see another rider keep in mind that is another friend you haven't had the chance to meet yet!!
-Riding is about doing what you love! No matter what you ride or how you ride. Just as long as you

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 07:23:25 am »
Yes.I didn't write down the miles when I first heard it.But I know when it was and it was about a year ago June and I put roughly 6-7000 miles on in that time.I don't see a failing bearing making it that long and its got 150-160 lbs of compression on each cyl.Sat down and thought it through and I only have heard it when its in stock form.Next move will be stock needles and spacers which i've had.As good as its run the previous owner had straight piped it done some dumb stuff to the carbs when I got it so its been a learning experience for me.Being the only bike i've ever really worked on myself at the point I got didn't help with spotting it either.Latest discovery is when they rejetted for the pipes they put the new main jets where the starter jets go  :groan.Always wondered why this thing was so cold blooded.Now I know.
Marc

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 06:08:01 pm »
Well I think i've got all i'm gonna get at this point.I noticed when the temps dropped that the noise was reduced which ultimately helped.I hadn't thought about the needle circuit causing a problem but with how and when it acted and cold air helping it clicked.I remembered the dynojet needles the PO had in it.I had ended up with them in it cause I could feather it a bit when cold easier.Since I found and fixed the starter jets thats fine so I swapped out for stock needles with the original shim count and she seems better.I still hear stuff but I think if it hadn't been so bad before I wouldn't really notice whats left.
Marc

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 09:03:07 pm »
Nice work!

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 09:10:09 pm »
Thanks.Alot of things would have been found a long time ago if I were experienced but this was my first bike I really had to do anything to.I've learned alot from it and it hasn't been a hard bike to work on at all.I still can't believe the PO put the bigger mains for his straight pipes where the starter jets were supposed to be. :groan It doesn't sound like something wants out anymore so now I feel confident enough to try to make a ride or 12.
Marc

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 10:54:38 pm »
It was detonation from a lean carb.I just threw the loud perf.set up I had put together long ago back at it and all is well.
Marc

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 04:31:20 am »
It was detonation from a lean carb.I just threw the loud perf.set up I had put together long ago back at it and all is well.

:21