Author Topic: What's your favorite front tire?  (Read 4549 times)

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
What's your favorite front tire?
« on: September 24, 2013, 03:24:45 pm »
I've ran Dunlop, Metzler, Michelin, and Pirelli. And, I'm thinking with handling and durability in mind the Pirelli has been the best bang for the buck. The Pirelli Route 66 I'm running now has been great. But, it's about worn out.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
Re: What's your favorite front tire?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 05:31:16 pm »
I've only had the Dunlop that was on the bike when I got it a Pirelli,Shinko,and now a Michelin.So far I personally like the feel of the Michelin best.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 05:50:02 pm »
Michelin is usually hard to beat for sure.  :21
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 06:12:18 pm »
So far so good but to be fair I think the Pirelli I had had an issue and I might try another at a later date.
Marc

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline PAULRIDES

• Legendary Member
  • I might be old, but can mount without help. HA!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 10:40:52 pm »
Do not want any DUNLOP.

Not ran many different tires. Satisfied with the KENDA on the NIJA 500 and they are cheap compared to anything else.

Burgman 650 Scooter front tire size does not have many MFG to choose from. I accidentally bought another Pirelli when I thought the first one on it was a Bridgestone (they come with that, but apparently the original owner had a cause to replace and used a Pirelli and I did not notice).  So, dummy me - I thought the tire that wore out fast was a Bridgestone (OEM) and ordered the Perrili only to have it wear out FAST.

Used Bridgestones on the KAWA 800 Cruiser - OK. Too dumb to try anything else.  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:42:12 pm by PAULRIDES »
Ride Country Roads - a lot. :-)

Offline MikelJay

• True Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 07:46:34 am »
I've run Bridgestone, Metzler and Michelin. It's a toss up between the Metzler and the Michelin.....I've gotten 18,000 out of the Metzler, still running the Michelin so we shall see....

And I prefer the wide whitewalls to the blackwalls.....

With the Michelin blackwalls....

With the Metzler Wide Whitewalls..... ( Classy!!! )
Mike

2006 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 01:37:14 pm »
So that's two for Michelin and a don't use Dunlop.

Offline El Borrego

• True Member
  • Seymour, TN
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 03:57:43 pm »
On the Valkyrie I ran Dunlop Es when I purchased it.  Got 11K miles out of a set.  Went to Metzler which is what I had on the other Valk and got 10K.  They were Metzler 880 Marathon's.  Got another set and got 6K out of them.  I'm putting them back on again and looks like the set I have not (excluding the rear) will go about 9K.  When this new set goes I'm going to try Bridgestone.  I have them on my 750 and they have 7K on them and still look really good.

I have a friend that has a Valkyrie just like my girl and he runs bias tires, I believe they are made by Dunlop, but it's the same tire as used on HDs just doesn't have HD on them.  He gets 20K to a set.  Of course he lives in Kansas which will make a difference as it's mostly flat land.  I don't think I'm hard on tires but apparently I am since I can't get a lot of miles out of them.

I've heard that Michelin was good but haven't tried them yet.  May be coming up though.

Offline littlebiglee

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 09:21:40 pm »
On my Valk the Elite 3's lasted and handled the best of the front tires I ran, Then I put a bias rear tire on the front with revese direction and have almost double the miles for half the cost. I like and have had no issues. I also run dark side on the rear.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 07:14:02 am »
 :21

Offline El Borrego

• True Member
  • Seymour, TN
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 01:53:09 pm »
I may go bias next time just to try it out.  No Dark Side for me.  Personal preference.  The reverse direction on front is what my friend does also but he runs bike tires both ends.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 03:16:16 am »
My front tire is a 110/90-19. I don't know if there is a suitable bias rear available.

Offline IanC

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Fast from the Past
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 09:41:29 am »
What size is your rear skin?
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC - Completely custom.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 03:48:52 pm »
What size is your rear skin?

My rear is new. They were talking a bit running rear tires reversed on the front.

Offline El Borrego

• True Member
  • Seymour, TN
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 04:52:02 pm »
Well, I get my new front tire (Happy Birthday to Me) put on tomorrow, a Metzler 880, at Mtn. Motorsports.  I think I should just buy some stock in the outfit.  Wait, I am buying stock at that outfit.

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 09:59:59 pm »
Metzler ME880 marathon or Michelin commander 2?

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Re:
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 11:54:59 pm »
Bt003

sent from that a%@ holes phone
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 08:37:35 pm »
So I bought a Metzler me880's marathon. Surprisingly Willis had it $40-50 cheaper than anybody else. And, he had it in stock. So, I'll get it mounted up in the next couple of days hopefully. And, she'll be ready for the warm weather.

:happyrider

Offline Luvmystar

• Legendary Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 08:47:17 pm »
 :21 Thats what the Nomad has and they are basically new.I like them so far.Time will tell.
Marc

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
  • curmudgeon in residence
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 09:09:02 am »
Interestingly, many of your tyre choices would be illegal in Germany as it's forbidden to run different tyres on the front and back.  And that means they must be the same type, model and speed rating, not just from the same company.  I had to do some talking to get them to accept me mixing a new Michelin Pilot Road 3 on the front with an earlier Pilot Road on the back when my front tyre needed replacing.  The tyre dealer had to call the TUV (German inspection station) to get approval before he would sell and mount the new front tyre.  Even then he recommended replacing them both.

I was chatting about a month ago with some German riders including the motorcycle safety instructor for the base and happened to mention the practice of running car tyres on the back of bikes was gaining acceptance in the US.  It's not an exaggeration to say they were horrified and couldn't believe such a practice was legal.  The practice struck every last one of them as completely unsafe.  And that's before I told them that folks in the US liked the cheap car tyres best!

Are the Germans right?  Ummm...probably...at least for Germany.  In the German riding environment you have lots of curvy country roads (including Alpine mountain roads) and mismatched tyres may or may not handle well together since they weren't designed to work together. And plainly, the handling compromises inherent in putting a car tyre, which wasn't designed to work on a bike at all, on the back would be unacceptable in the German riding environment.  In addition, with unlimited speeds legal on the autobahn it's just prudent to accept no compromises with your tyres as a serious tyre problem at 100 MPH plus cruising speeds isn't something you'd want to think about.

The question is, do the safety concerns that make mix and match tyre choices inadvisable in Europe apply to the US? 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:20:50 am by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 01:37:05 pm »
  We've been running car tires on the rear since the 70's starting with my dad. He put 50k or so on that CB at Ian's running a car tire. I don't feel I've compromised anything. My bike accelerates better, stops way better, and corners at least as good as it did on the mc tires.

I know full well that most people will never accept it. I have no intention of trying to convince anyone either. That being said it is a good choice for me. Maybe it's my bike, my riding style, or because I started riding on the street on that CB.

Either way I'm sure there are plenty of good arguments as to why mismatched tires are a good/bad idea. I'm glad I live where I don't have to make that argument in order to ride.

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 03:35:41 pm »
Hi Larry,

This whole question of running car tyres on the back of bikes is interesting, both because of what info is out there, and especially what info isn't.

I'll be up front and say that the idea doesn't seem to me like a good one from the handling point of view.  I can feel the degradation in my motorcycles handling when my rear tyre profile starts to develop a flat spot in the middle.  And therefore, it seems to me that putting on a tyre that is nothing but a big flat spot can't have good results for a bike's handling. But that's my opinion, unsupported by evidence or experience.

So I looked and tried to find hard data on the internet.  The short answer is, there isn't any. 

What is available supporting car tyre use is a lot of anecdotal info from a lot of folks who have run car tyres and had good results.  If there is any independent testing of such tyres in motorcycle use I couldn't find it. The best argument for the use of car tyres is that there is no verified example of a car tyre causing an accident.

What is out there against car tyre use in motorcycle applications is pretty daunting:

-Every motorcycle manufacturer recommends against use of anything but motorcycle specific tyres.
-Every tyre manufacturer recommends against use of anything but motorcycle specific tyres.
-Every motorcycle safety body such as the MSF and Motorcycle Industry Council recommends against use of anything but motorcycle specific tyres.
-Motorcycle magazines such a Cruiser Rider recommend against use of anything but motorcycle specific tyres.
-Motorcycle insurance companies both in the US and UK state that use of car tyres could void your insurance.
-In nations where the matter is addressed specifically the use of car tyres is prohibited.

The various entities cited different tyre carcass construction to support different cornering loads, excessive wear on the shoulder of the car tyres in motorcycle use, and ineffective or non existent water siping in the car tyre shoulder when cornering as reasons to not recommend car tyres for motorcycle use.

It's noteworthy that I couldn't find a single "authority" that suggested that use of car tyres was acceptable.

What is missing is any formal testing results of car tyres in use on motorcycles.  If it's out there I couldn't find it and no such testing results were referenced in any information on motorcycle use of car tyres online.

So, it boils down to who you personally put your trust in since there are no tests you can read the results of. 

Chris 

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:29:00 pm by Chris »
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

1978 GS1000C / 1979 GS1000S / 1981 CM400C / 1986 RG500 GAMMA / 1988 R100RS / 1991 K100RS / 1997 GSF1200 BANDIT

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 04:13:13 pm »
I knew most all of that. The thing is that there is no incentive for any manufacturer to endorse it. There would be backlash if there were to be any positive results from testing. So I expect it will never be approved on any official level. Most riders think it's ridiculous, no amount of proof would change that. Some have told me I'm taking a stupid risk to save a buck. And, that's ok with me they're entitled to their opinion. Fact is its not about saving money. I prefer the ride with the ct.

Offline Chris

• Legendary Member
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 04:27:00 pm »
Larry, 

I can see you've thought about this a bit and have experience with the use of car tyres.  Which types of bikes would you say are more suited to car tyre use?  Everyone who advocates for the use of CTs cites cruisers as being well suited to their use.  But what about other types such as touring bikes or adventure bikes such the BMW R1200GS?  Do you see any limitations or special factors to consider? 

Chris
CHRIS

CURRENT BIKES

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 08:15:48 pm »
mcdarksiders.forumotion.com has a lot of info. In my opinion it's well suited for heavy bikes (5-600lb or more) especially so if it has a lot of power. Big twins & goldwings are primary candidates. Dad ran a beetle tire on the cb.
 It needs to be symmetrical in my opinion. I was concerned asymmetry might cause a torque pull. The Michelin Hydroedge is what I run largely because it's symmetrical.

Offline Sarge

• Old School
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 07:38:06 am »
I am going to check with Ian at Mountain Motorsports. I will need tires front and back soon
Semper Fi