Author Topic: Z1000 flywheel mod.  (Read 1660 times)

Offline emd513

• speed is an obsession. not a decision.
  • Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Z1000 flywheel mod.
« on: October 06, 2013, 05:18:56 am »
Couple ways this can be done. Most known is switching the flywheel, stator, and engine cover from a zx9 think the 99-01 models. I went the other and had mine shaved. I don't like the engine covers especially since I have extended engine sliders on my covers. ;D
Real simple take the 8mm bolts out of the cover, then carefully pry the cover off. Might take a little effort depending on how you do it as the magnet is pretty strong holding the stator on. Be careful not to damage the gasket. (Its metal and reusable) should see this.
Take the gear out from the top right. The pin was in my case slot. If its still through the gear you will have to pull it out then the gear. Should be able to just pull with fingers or take a pair of pliers if needed and wrap it with a rag to not damage or mark the pin. Now take the center bolt out. Your going to need a wrench big enough to fit the outer diameter of the flywheel right behind the bolt to keep It from moving. Believe its a 17mm for the center bolt. I used my big adjustable for the other. Now its time to pull the flywheel. I had to modify a gear puller to work since I'm BROKE, lol but you can order them on eBay for like 28 bucks. Here's what it looks like. (Took the pic off z1000 forum) needs to thread on the outside of the center part of the flywheel then uses a bolt through the middle to pop the flywheel off. Going to take some muscle as this bad boy is on there. I also took the backing plate off prior to pulling mine but its not necessary. What you should have I shaved mine 11mm down from the overall diameter. This is what it looks like now. Did a lot of research on this before I committed to it. the guy that did it on z1000 forum did 10mm off of his and has put over ten k on it since with no issues. Couple more with same results. haven't found a bad report from doing it this way yet so I decided to go ahead. Will be reinstalling it when I get home to see how the bike reacts with this and the throttle bodies I did earlier in the week. Oh also if you have ever noticed wheel hop when down shifting or backing in to a corner this will almost eliminate it completely as it makes the motor come down quicker while giving you the quicker acceleration. Will update when I'm done.

adrenaline rushing speed demon. insane? yes!!
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
05 gsxr 600 under construction
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Offline Deuce

• Poppa Deuce
  • Legendary Member
  • I just love to ride and have since I was 5.
Re: Z1000 flywheel mod.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 07:21:17 am »
We used to do the same thing to small block v8 engines. The problem with the quick acceleration/deceleration was it was easy to stretch rod bolts and spin a bearing if not careful.
2006 VTX1300C 205/70/15 Hydroedge rear tire, Leatherlyke Bags, Batwing, Cobra floor boards, Vance & Hines pipes, LEDGlow, Pair Mod, Kuryakin Hypercharger Pro, Mustang seat, Cobra passing lights, Cobra Case Gaurds, 3" Fork extensions, 1800C Shocks, Cobra Tach, Custom Risers, Custom Kickstand, and a  WOLO Badboy Horn.

Offline emd513

• Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Re: Re: Z1000 flywheel mod.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 03:13:24 pm »
Yeah. I have done it to sb chevys.just took it for a spin. Subtle difference but you can tell. Brought my upper rpms back to pulling through like I wanted. Revs quick but still have slight wheel hop. Now just need to get some money saved up and get cams

03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
[/quote]

Offline 8Ball

• Mr. Clean
  • True Member
Re: Z1000 flywheel mod.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 01:34:35 pm »
Looks good. :21

" ...if you have ever noticed wheel hop when down shifting or backing in to a corner this will almost eliminate it completely as it makes the motor come down quicker while giving you the quicker acceleration."

However, If you are looking to reduce wheel hop, it doesn't work like that.  Wheel hop occurs when the engine revs are lower than the rear wheel speed when you release the clutch on downshifts. Lightening the fly wheel will actually make wheel hop worse, if you don't rev match (blipping the throttle as you shift down) because the engine revs will drop quicker, now.  However, it does make it easier to rev match, because the engine revs will come up quicker when you blip the throttle.  I don't know if this is a technique you use (it is becoming a lost art now a days with all the slipper clutches that are in modern bikes)  If you don't, I would suggest you work on learning the skill.  It is a bit awkward at first but after a while, it becomes second nature and you find that you do it without thinking.  Since you have lightened the flywheel it will be a bit easier for you and when done correctly wheel hop is a thing of the past.
Quote from: jeff5150
just follow 129 on the map towards nc til it looks like a kid drawing it had a siezure
Quote from: Tomsljr
Know the difference between crack heads and Gap addicts? I have heard of people quitting crack.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy when getting on and off my High Horse!

Offline emd513

• Legendary Member
  • "adrenaline junkie"
Re: Re: Z1000 flywheel mod.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 07:05:30 pm »
Sry that's what I was referring to. I always rev match. But seems that there are time either I don't get it at the right spot and it wants to hop on me. Guess since its easier to rev now I am matching better and eliminating the prob.
03 Zr1000. Totalled
04 Zr1000. Traded
[/quote]